Would you go back to kayfabe era?

MMAGA

Belt of Truth
@Brown
Reaction score
As a fan of pro wrestling for approx. 95% of my life, I long for the days when the curtain was tightly closed. I mean, we'd all eventually find out the truth about the "fierce battles" which kept us enthralled as kids and teenagers, but how did we get to THIS point...Divas, drama, fake twitter beefs, shoot interviews were you don't even know if they're being honest, or if they're just looking to collect some cash...

It truly breaks my heart.

Were would pro wrestling be right now, if kayfabe still existed? It's as if they don't even try anymore! I believe I, along with countless other fans of pro wrestling, really had high hopes for AEW, as a new organization paying homage to the old school way of doing things (to some degree)...but, we get this "it's for everybody" nonsense, with Nyla Rose being their token LGBT poster "girl" in an attempt to appease the masses! But, why...casual AND hardcore fans don't really give a damn about that kind of stuff!

I see Iron Mike is presenting the inaugural TNT strap at DON this weekend...but, why? Why the need for a celebrity like that? If anything, why not have some pro wrestling living legend hand over the gold!? AEW is starting to do a lot of the same stuff WWE is guilty of!

Anywho, anyone else wish you could rewind the clock and go back to the good old days?

Anyone prefer things the way they are?

No.....kayfabe is stupid

Just deliver a better product with characters we would give as fuck about

Ok..."better product" how, exactly?
Less hokey bullshit that only entertains a small niche of neckbeards who love anime and my little pony.

A better product is just a more entertaining show......we all know movies are bullshit and yet, nobody had to outright say that......because Robert Downey Jr isn't trying to play Tony Stark off camera.

Social media does fuck things up.

Social media does fuck things up.
It's the new kayfabe......works everyone who think they're smart to the business.

Even those in the business or the geniuses who cover it as "journalists".

Less hokey bullshit that only entertains a small niche of neckbeards who love anime and my little pony.
And those types of losers wouldn't be in rasslin if we still kept kayfabe.

Lawler and Cornette say otherwise.
Lawler and Cornette were doing ring rats and lines of coke, not playing video games and watching anime.

Lawler and Cornette were doing ring rats and lines of coke, not playing video games and watching anime.
Lawler was doodling cartoons and was teetotal and Cornette was too busy snorting double cheeseburgers (motherfucker) not coke.

A better product is just a more entertaining show......we all know movies are bullshit and yet, nobody had to outright say that......because Robert Downey Jr isn't trying to play Tony Stark off camera.
I get what you’re saying, to an extent.

I mean, I don’t have to see Strowman bearing a monster out in public, but at least keep some stuff under wraps...

You’re comparing apples and oranges, though...wrestling still has the athletic/sport aspect to it. It involves choreographed “fights”, which are simulating real-life needs and scraps, whereas no under 10 believes there’s an actual Spider-Man.

I mean, I don’t have to see Strowman bearing a monster out in public, but at least keep some stuff under wraps...

You’re comparing apples and oranges, though...wrestling still has the athletic/sport aspect to it. It involves choreographed “fights”, which are simulating real-life needs and scraps, whereas no under 10 believes there’s an actual Spider-Man.
But we also don't believe Sylvester Stallone was a heavyweight boxing champion.

I know a few under 10 who believe in spider man

Ok..."better product" how, exactly?

One that doesn't insult my intelligence and isn't filled with sniveling douche bags...I mean the irl sniveling douche bags that make you change the channel, not the kayfabe sniveling douche bags you pay money to see catch an ass whuppin.

Its funny, don't people glorify actors for going "full method"? That's seen by some as the height of artistic sophistication. But I think another, perhaps bigger reason that intense method acting is so celebrated by the public isn't really because people think it makes someone a superior actor, but because allows the public not to feel foolish, childish or naive for buying into the product actors are selling us, because they themselves are just as immersed in the reality of that product as we are. And I think that is also part of the charm of kayfabe--it isn't necessarily about fooling the public into an actual, concrete belief in the reality of your product, as much as making them feel more at ease with letting their guard down and going along for the ride you are offering them. Wrestlers in kayfabe are sending a message, on some level, that they aren't laughing at the public for becoming invested in the world of their characters but are in fact, just as invested as they are.

Basically, I think its telling adults its okay to suspend their disbelief, to some extent. When you have wrestlers constantly on social media totally out of character and sometimes openly critical of storyline or product direction, a lot of people probably feel much more like a rube for getting legitimately invested in the storylines.

Its funny, don't people glorify actors for going "full method"? That's seen by some as the height of artistic sophistication. But I think another, perhaps bigger reason that intense method acting is so celebrated by the public isn't really because people think it makes someone a superior actor, but because allows the public not to feel foolish, childish or naive for buying into the product actors are selling us, because they themselves are just as immersed in the reality of that product as we are. And I think that is also part of the charm of kayfabe--it isn't necessarily about fooling the public into an actual, concrete belief in the reality of your product, as much as making them feel more at ease with letting their guard down and going along for the ride you are offering them. Wrestlers in kayfabe are sending a message, on some level, that they aren't laughing at the public for becoming invested in the world of their characters but are in fact, just as invested as they are.

Basically, I think its telling adults its okay to suspend their disbelief, to some extent. When you have wrestlers constantly on social media totally out of character and sometimes openly critical of storyline or product direction, a lot of people probably feel much more like a rube for getting legitimately invested in the storylines.

Make me believe while I'm watching even though I don't actually believe it's real.

Back