Would you give GSP a chance against any top 5 middleweight?

Prime GSP before he blew his knees out would have beat them all. The stiff GSP that had a hard fight with Bisping would have gotten olbliterated.

edit: Izzy and Costa would have been tough fights. I think he goes 50/50 with Izzy and loses 9/10 to Costa.

/ thread

Not even the top5 MW sized fighters from previous generations

Weight classes exist for a reason and 15 lbs is too much of a gap in the elite
15 lbs doesn't sound big. But stack up 15 tubes of ground beef on top of each other. That's a lotta meat.

Lol NO!
As bad as the MW division is, prime GSP still gets smoked everytime.
Take the worst version of Luke ROckhold. That guy kills prime GSP in a way that GSP would lose all credibility.

How would GSP do against todays WWs? Thats a good question. He probably does pretty well.
I can see him beating Tyrone, Masvidal, Leone, CHeesa, RDA, Colbi.

Nah. All those guys would give him a run for his money. Micheal Bisping was a good fight for GSP given Micheal Bispings style and status in the division. Micheal Bisping wouldn't have gotten past Yoel, Gegard or Whittaker either so that's why he ducked and fought Henderson and GSP instead. Jacare and Chris Weidman would've beaten Bisping up badly too and you already know what Kelvin did to him.

Prime GSP was a different story tho

Nah. All those guys would give him a run for his money. Micheal Bisping was a good fight for GSP given Micheal Bispings style and status in the division. Micheal Bisping wouldn't have gotten past Yoel, Gegard or Whittaker. Jacare and Chris Weidman would've beaten him up badly and you already know what Kelvin did to him.

Prime Bisping finishes GSP everytime.
Also prime Anderson finishes Bisping everytime. In the first.

Lol NO!
Take the worst version of Luke ROckhold. That guy kills prime GSP in a way that GSP would lose all credibility.

Or maybe gets out boxed, especially the worst version of him

Prime Bisping finishes GSP everytime.
Also prime Anderson finishes Bisping everytime. In the first.

I doubt that. Bisping's career has been all over the place kinda like Dan Henderson. The difference with Dan Henderson is with his quality of wins. Micheal's had a pretty lack luster career until he hit a home run against Rockhold.

I'd put my money on Prime GSP over any version of Bisping.

GSP 50-45 Adesanya any day of the week,
Twice on sunday.

Lol NO!

How would GSP do against todays WWs? Thats a good question. He probably does pretty well.
I can see him beating Tyrone, Masvidal, Leone, CHeesa, RDA, Colbi.
Old GSP is flat footed and gets eaten alive by anyone bigger that can tag him. Which is a lot of MWs.

Young GSP was extremely dynamic and mobile. He would have been elusive until he could explode in with that double and maul people from the top, or just pepper them with strikes. The only guys that would have posed a threat would have been just a guy that could strike aggressively moving forward like Paulo Costa, and Izzy and Anderson because they're not flat footed.

Luke Rockhold would just be spamming body kicks that would be whiffing air while getting taken down repeatedly. Or peppered with jabs and hooks with his head that high up.

Romero is so flat footed and low volume that GSP would just dance circles around him.

Whittaker, Till, and Gastelum are literally blown up WWs. GSP is the best WW, so...

99% of guys are so flat footed that prime GSP's mobility would dance circles around them, and his power double and top game would maul them.

Izzy would be a tough fight though.

If GSP tries to box he eats a switch kick and gets KOd.

Nah, this is not Tekken
Bisping, Branch, Jacare, Romero has got his hands on that chin without getting KOed by any switch kick, and they aren't better boxers than GSP

Thinking about this potential Khabib fight, I'm still trying to imagine exactly how big GSP is and how much the size difference would matter between them.

If GSP actually defended the middleweight title, he would have to fight guys like Yoel, Rockhold, Jacare...

I don't give Khabib a chance against these guys, even if he bulks up, has time to get used to new weight etc, he's just way too small.

Do you think GSP could ever beat, or even make it competitive with these guys? GSP grappling with Rockhold or Yoel, or Jacare?
Honestly, he could beat any of them.

Some of them would be a tough fight.

Old GSP is flat footed and gets eaten alive by anyone bigger that can tag him.

Young GSP was extremely dynamic and mobile. He would have been elusive until he could explode in with that double and maul people from the top, or just pepper them with strikes. The only guys that would have posed a threat would have been just a guy that could strike aggressively moving forward like Paulo Costa, and just Anderson just because he's that good.

Luke Rockhold would just be spamming body kicks that would be whiffing air while getting taken down repeatedly. Or peppered with jabs and hooks with his head that high up.

Romero is so flat footed and low volume that GSP would just dance circles around him.

Whittaker, Till, and Gastelum are literally blown up WWs. GSP is the best WW, so...

99% of guys are so flat footed that prime GSP's mobility would dance circles around them, and his power double and top game would maul them.

Izzy would be a tough fight though.

Romero would be a tough fight as well, man, look at the Hendricks fight.
Machida, Mousasi, Jacare or Weidman would be tough as well.

Romero would be a tough fight as well, man, look at the Hendricks fight.
Machida, Mousasi, Jacare or Weidman would be tough as well.
Hendricks was GSP with 2 blown out knees. That version of GSP lacked mobility.

Young GSP was one of the most mobile fighters in the sport's history.

Romero is one of the most flat footed, non-aggressive, refusing to move forward guys ever. He just stands still and waits for a counter. He'd get as many counters as he got against Izzy. GSP would have danced circles around him and the standup would have looked like GSP vs Hughes II.

I doubt that. Bisping's career has been all over the place kinda like Dan Henderson. The difference with Dan Henderson is with his quality of wins. Micheal's had a pretty lack luster career until he hit a home run against Rockhold.

I'd put my money on Prime GSP over any version of Bisping.

I would not compare Dan and Bisping.
Dan had iron chin, Bisping had average.
Dan was a wrassler turned into brawler, Bisping was textbook striker with excellent tdd and cardio.
Dan was a multiple champ, Bisping was not.
Bisping hit the jackpot really, two lucky performances against washed out AS and Luke. Bisping was in very bad shape, it took a lot of luck to finally get there.
But, Sonnen had terrible time trying to take down Bisping, I doubt GSP would hold him down. Hell, GSP even had trouble holding down granpa Bisping.
ALso physically Bisping looked like shit, I mean, no visible muscle anymore, old age and usada killed him. And even that old Bisping managed to turn the tide against GSP.
GSP's corner really saved the day with their advice mid rounds on when to throw that punch that caught Bisping off guard and KDd him.
I see it being a competitive fight for 3 rounds where GSP wastes all of his energy trying to take Bisping down and hold him down, then gas out and get KOd in the 4th or 5th.

Thinking about this potential Khabib fight, I'm still trying to imagine exactly how big GSP is and how much the size difference would matter between them.

If GSP actually defended the middleweight title, he would have to fight guys like Yoel, Rockhold, Jacare...

I don't give Khabib a chance against these guys, even if he bulks up, has time to get used to new weight etc, he's just way too small.

Do you think GSP could ever beat, or even make it competitive with these guys? GSP grappling with Rockhold or Yoel, or Jacare?
Bit of a pointless question as GSP is only going to un-retire for a fight with Khabib and very likely nobody else but that, and I'm quite sure if he was offered that fight and came back, he would instantly retire again (win or lose). So it's just a bit pointless speculation IMHO.

Hendricks was GSP with 2 blown out knees. That version of GSP lacked mobility.

Young GSP was one of the most mobile fighters in the sport's history.

Romero is one of the most flat footed, non-aggressive, refusing to move forward guys ever. He just stands still and waits for a counter. He'd get as many counters as he got against Izzy. GSP would have danced circles around him and the standup would have looked like GSP vs Hughes II.

Seems you only saw Romero vs Adesanya....Israel didn't land that many counters on Romero btw, and Izzy is a way better, rangier striker than GSP

Check Romero's fights with very good striker Whittaker for example, or Machida or Rockhold

That guy could very well flatten young and mobile GSP, who got KOed by Matt Serra

Comparing Romero with Hughes lol get a grip

I would not compare Dan and Bisping.
Dan had iron chin, Bisping had average.
Dan was a wrassler turned into brawler, Bisping was textbook striker with excellent tdd and cardio.
Dan was a multiple champ, Bisping was not.
Bisping hit the jackpot really, two lucky performances against washed out AS and Luke. Bisping was in very bad shape, it took a lot of luck to finally get there.
But, Sonnen had terrible time trying to take down Bisping, I doubt GSP would hold him down. Hell, GSP even had trouble holding down granpa Bisping.
ALso physically Bisping looked like shit, I mean, no visible muscle anymore, old age and usada killed him. And even that old Bisping managed to turn the tide against GSP.
GSP's corner really saved the day with their advice mid rounds on when to throw that punch that caught Bisping off guard and KDd him.
I see it being a competitive fight for 3 rounds where GSP wastes all of his energy trying to take Bisping down and hold him down, then gas out and get KOd in the 4th or 5th.

As you say that fight did seem to be going away from GSP until he landed the punch and I think you can see in that fight he would have trouble trying to control larger guys on the ground at MW. I mean Anderson always felt might be vulnerable to it as he was never great at getting back up but a lot of other names IMHO probably would.

Standing its quite hard to judge because really we didn't ever see much of GSP really having to throw aggressively the way he did vs Bisping. He had accuracy and power bu his defence and chin I'm not sure would hold up to the best MW's.

The current top five according to Sherdog's ranking are:
Izzy - I take GSP via wrestling decision
Bobby knuckles - I take GSP via wrestling decision
Paulo Costa - I have no idea
Yoel - Yoel via knockout
Jared Cannonier - I have no idea but probably GSP via wrestling decision

Back