Would you consider the ending of Cowboy Bebop high cinema?

Its one of the most memorable scenes of anything ive ever watched so i would have to say yes.

I enjoyed champloo but I wouldn’t call it a better series.

It wasn’t anywhere near the quality of CB, and it got real weird at the end.

I thought the ending was pretty solid. The bakufu were using the girl to find her father. The two main guys kick ass. The end.

Also, the samurai duel on the pier was fucking awesome.

I thought the ending was pretty solid. The bakufu were using the girl to find her father. The two main guys kick ass. The end.

Also, the samurai duel on the pier was fucking awesome.

The one guy reminds me of spike in a lot of ways.

Like how spike might have been, in that era and a little less serious.

I've never seen the anime but I did own both games. awesome shoot em up games

Just a warning, the Gungrave anime is very uneven. Episodes 2-12ish and the last 3 episodes are amazing. There's a stretch in the middle that I had trouble getting through because the episodes get so dumb. The show takes a wild turn and becomes nearly unwatchable, but it is worth seeing it through to the end.

Just a warning, the Gungrave anime is very uneven. Episodes 2-12ish and the last 3 episodes are amazing. There's a stretch in the middle that I had trouble getting through because the episodes get so dumb. The show takes a wild turn and becomes nearly unwatchable, but it is worth seeing it through to the end.

When if goes overtly Sci Fi it's weird. But the Mafia Days and Brandon Heats Origin was compelling stuff.

The one guy reminds me of spike in a lot of ways.

Like how spike might have been, in that era and a little less serious.

Well, same haircut, and both badasses.

Also a little similar to Jubei in Ninja Scroll.

I've only seen the movie. There were plenty of elements, especially the bad guy, that was stolen from the Blade Runner movie.

Like sword art online uneven or less?

Started watching sword art online 2 with the kid when it came out and it went into a totally different tone and direction we couldn’t watch it anymore

I've never watched Cowboy Bebop, but I did watch the ending once to see what the fuss was and I felt it bro

Last edited:

As the guy who originally recommended it, I can't say I disagree with this.

The second half, up to the last couple episodes, is just so bizarre and seemingly out of place compared to the story of the first half, but I guess it's the second half that really makes Gungrave, well, Gungrave. It's the game made anime, while the first half has the makings of a great crime/mafia story.

Its one of the most memorable scenes of anything ive ever watched so i would have to say yes.

Are you talking about just the very last scene? Imo every scene in the finale went pretty hard. I remember being entranced by this scene towards the end:

An epic space battle set to soft jazz while the antagonist murders the heads of the crime syndicate in cold blood. It's the last time that the crew will fight together side by side. It's just beautifully shot. The directors put so much thought into every little detail that it turns it from an mere anime movie, into a complete sensory experience. The focus on using jazz and bebop music during these pivotal scenes set it apart from anything else at the time really.

I've never watched Cowboy Bebop, but I did watch the ending once to see what the fuss was and it felt it bro

These are the kinds of opinions I wanted to hear. Just to know i'm not approaching this with a weeb bias.

Now imagine you had watched the series the whole way through, how much more of a gut punch the finale would have been. Feels city bro.

8373525.jpg

Last edited:
Whenever I think of great show or movie endings, I always think of Bebop's.

I don't know if it's transcendent (maybe among anime of that era, but it is very John Woo-esque and in that way might be seen as derivative) but it is thematically and cinematically as close to perfection as most shows get.

Not: "That's how I wanted it to end" but "That's how it would have ended."

Like sword art online uneven or less?

Started watching sword art online 2 with the kid when it came out and it went into a totally different tone and direction we couldn’t watch it anymore

Haven't seen Sword Art Online, so I can't comment. I think Gungrave is worth watching, just be prepared for the change in tone.

I wouldn't really call it or Cowboy Bebop an attempt at "high" cinema so much as very well made pulp ala something like Starwars.

Anime that attempts to at high art I would say stuff like Milleniun Actress, Grave of the Fireflys, The Canon Fodder section of Memories or Hols Prince of the Sun.

I tend to dislike anime, but CB
- Had a wonderful world with references to real world places and cultures ( NYC, Hong Kong, Turkey, Brazil, etc).
- Great characters and relations.
- Different genres, sometimes going from comedy to straight trash horror)
- Wonderful music.
- Perfect ending

Hard to beat that, independently of it being anime or not. One of the few anime I wouldn't be embarrased to watch with others.

I tend to dislike anime, but CB
- Had a wonderful world with references to real world places and cultures ( NYC, Hong Kong, Turkey, Brazil, etc).
- Great characters and relations.
- Different genres, sometimes going from comedy to straight trash horror)
- Wonderful music.
- Perfect ending

Hard to beat that, independently of it being anime or not. One of the few anime I wouldn't be embarrased to watch with others.

That's what I mean. I think you could show it to people who don't like cartoons or anime and i'd still think it'd resonate with them. Almost like the effect that Pixar movies have on people.

I wouldn't really call it or Cowboy Bebop an attempt at "high" cinema so much as very well made pulp ala something like Starwars.

Anime that attempts to at high art I would say stuff like Milleniun Actress, Grave of the Fireflys, The Canon Fodder section of Memories or Hols Prince of the Sun.

Yeah I couldn't think of the correct description for it at that moment. I didn't mean high art so much as would people even think it feasible to compare CB against acclaimed non-animated sci-fi or western movies. Since usually animated movies are only rated against other anime movies and vice versa.

He was a role model. Except for his choice of drugs.

Delicious toasted Lucky Strike cigarettes?

I had limited exposure to this stuff growing up, and while it may lack the artistry of Bebop the end of the Gundam Wing movie always kept me transfixed.

Heero having constant flashbacks of killing a young girl and then going PTSD-zombie mode only to shoot a blank at the daughter of his deceased arch-nemesis who was already bleeding out... before passing out himself. Lots going on in that one.

Anime was great for me in that time lol.

Its a great ending. I still love the entire series, but those final 2 episodes are just amazing to me. Just rewatched it recently and I still got the feels.

The real folk blues..see ya space cowboy, sometimes you gotta knock a little harder.

Was one of the best animes to release IMO.
Now im on Attack on Titan, another great series for adults.

Back