Would you compare mastering a martial art to completing a PHD

becoming a master as in being an elite boxer? then yes. getting a blackbelt then no.

And what exactly do you know about the current state of academic research in gender studies to make that kind of claim?

I know that people who made up studies about dogs having rape culture in dog walking parks and other nonsense like that got their studies peer reviewed and published. I also know that gender studies types can't easily distinguish between males and females. It's an anti-intellectual field, and the longer one studies in it the less knowledge one possesses.

Gender studies is to real academics what no touch chi KOs are to real martial arts.

As I was getting my MBA, I contemplated continuing to get my PhD (I have some experience with tutoring as a profession, and have been offered an adjunct faculty position in the past, so I proved my aptitude for instruction), and he told me "[real name], you think you will learn more, but you don't. You research and write a paper proving to them that you belong in their little club."

I don't like that type of bullshit/politics garbage, so I passed on that.

Good call. I did the course work and the comps before I came to my senses and shelved the dissertation. Spending 2 to 3 years writing a 400 page paper that literally 5 people ever were likely to really read, and only because they were paid to do it, just became too much for the vanity reward of being called "Dr." Especially when I could just go back to my plum teaching gig (I'm Canadian... we do okay: 12 weeks vacation, 15 sick days per year that you can bank and carry over indefinitely to following years, top 5% income in my province, snow days, retire at 70% salary at age 57 or 58, Cadillac healthcare, 95% indefinite salary continuation if for any health related reason you can't teach anymore). There's a point at which you say, "Wait... why am I writing this thing, again?"

I know that people who made up studies about dogs having rape culture in dog walking parks and other nonsense like that got their studies peer reviewed and published. I also know that gender studies types can't easily distinguish between males and females. It's an anti-intellectual field, and the longer one studies in it the less knowledge one possesses.

Gender studies is to real academics what no touch chi KOs are to real martial arts.

Inga spitting the cold hard truth ^^^, as per usual.

No, because a PhD is a doctorate in PHILOSOPHY

And one of the earliest, best known, and most celebrated works of philosophy is about how philosophy is fundamentally distinct from arts.

So I don't even consider "PhD.s" in art fields to be doctors of philosophy unless their PhD was earned through some extensive and novel philosophical exercise pertinent to the field.

Does anyone have a comparison of years of study? I only got to like purple belt when I was a kid. Does 21 years of school sound right for a doctor? K-8 = 9 years, high school = 4 years, college = 4 years, medical school = 4 years. I think that's right.

Don't forget that once you're in grad school you're working on your studies 10-12 hours per day (probably more if you're in med school). I don't know anyone who puts in 10-12 hours per day working on their Martial Art of choice.

Really? Because I have taught at four universities, have done graduate level work on the topic, and am familiar with many scholars in that field, and the imbecility you are typing has nothing to do with what they are doing. I wonder if you have actually read a single work of gender studies.

A colleague at UCLA wrote a very comprehensive intellectual history of female writers in Latin America after the wars of independence, tracking some formerly lost archival data which shows the extent to which progressive trends in the arts in the mid-19th Century coincided with the prospects of modernization in the Andean regions, and the influx of liberal ideas coming predominantly from America and Europe after Spain lost control over their former colonies.

I could quote a hundred similar examples.

Show me a PhD thesis from a credible academic institution that fits your description. Of course, I can find you people with PhDs in physics that write new-agey nonsense about the coming apocalypse or whatnot. But what you are saying just shows woeful ignorance. You are waxing a strawman without having read anything.

Last edited:
Being a BJJ black belt is comparable to becoming a Gynecologist. Either brings the lady purse to ya.

Fuck no.

BJJ black belt takes about 7-10 years with 3 or 4 classes a week for an hour or 2 per class.

A PhD takes about 20 years of school with some of that being 7-9 hours a day.

Thank you.

Then, of course, there is the lovely post-doctoral period, where you are essentially an indentured servant struggling to publish while doing shit work for next to no money. My wife refers to this period as "the worst fucking time of my life." This is really saying something as she puts up with my bullshit.

In terms of study.

Getting a BJJ black belt for instance.

I would say that it actually takes a lot more training and discipline than becoming a doctor.

I’d probably compare it to becoming a surgeon.
<{cruzshake}>

<36>

{<huh}

Thank you.

Then, of course, there is the lovely post-doctoral period, where you are essentially an indentured servant struggling to publish while doing shit work for next to no money. My wife refers to this period as "the worst fucking time of my life." This is really saying something as she puts up with my bullshit.

Yeah.

As a guy who has had belts and a bachelor's of science, the schooling takes way more time and effort.

Really? Because I have taught at four universities, have done graduate level work on the topic, and am familiar with many scholars in that field, and the imbecility you are typing has nothing to do with what they are doing. I wonder if you have actually read a single work of gender studies.

A colleague at UCLA wrote a very comprehensive intellectual history of female writers in Latin America after the wars of independence, tracking some formerly lost archival data which shows the extent to which progressive trends in the arts in the mid-19th Century coincided with the prospects of modernization in the Andean regions, and the influx of liberal ideas coming predominantly from America and Europe after Spain lost control over their former colonies.

I could quote a hundred similar examples.

Show me a PhD thesis from a credible academic institution that fits your description. Of course, I can find you people with PhDs in physics that write new-agey nonsense about the coming apocalypse or whatnot. But what you are saying just shows woeful ignorance. You are waxing a strawman without having read anything.

I used to read a lot of that garbage in the 90s, back when Judith Butler was first starting to make waves. It was garbage then and it has only gotten worse. Gender studies produces nothing of value to society, it is not intellectually rigorous, and it churns out confused, narrowminded, indoctrinated students. It's a disgrace. If it is what you teach, then I suppose you are professionally obligated to defend it, but you are engaged in polishing shit. Higher education would be helped almost across the board if women's studies/gender studies courses and departments were simply disbanded en masse.

Yeah.

As a guy who has had belts and a bachelor's of science, the schooling takes way more time and effort.

I was ABD twice. Military deployments kept getting in the way, then I just lost the urge to finish my PhD. I was close enough to realize how fucking god-awful finishing the dissertation process was. More work on one paper than most people put into their entire undergrad in some cases. Anyone who says a black belt is anything close to comparable has no idea what they are talking about (I have earned more than one, and in most cases it is just sticking it out long enough). But this is the internet, a place where people with no knowledge of a subject can freely comment as if they have informed and valid opinions.

In terms of study.

Getting a BJJ black belt for instance.

I would say that it actually takes a lot more training and discipline than becoming a doctor.

I’d probably compare it to becoming a surgeon.

You have no idea what you are talking about. That is as polite as I can possibly be.

Any dummy can get a black belt

But only special dummies can defend a thesis

Depends on the PhD. A PhD in gender studies doesn't mean much. A PhD is STEM field is impressive. Same holds true for black belts. Some are worthless; some are impressive.

Moronic statement. Research in social sciences is important.

I was ABD twice. Military deployments kept getting in the way, then I just lost the urge to finish my PhD. I was close enough to realize how fucking god-awful finishing the dissertation process was. More work on one paper than most people put into their entire undergrad in some cases. Anyone who says a black belt is anything close to comparable has no idea what they are talking about (I have earned more than one, and in most cases it is just sticking it out long enough). But this is the internet, a place where people with no knowledge of a subject can freely comment as if they have informed and valid opinions.

It's all good, though.

If a person was practicing BJJ even 3 hours a day, that's a fuck load.

Instructors probably wouldn't even let students do that much.

A full BJJ schedule is a couple hours a day a few days a week.

I think maybe they're just thinking of the extra 6 years, but even then the graduate school is still much more intensive.

I personally consider it step by step, where you include first grade, middle, high school, CC, etc. which would be like white belt, yellow, etc.

Schooling takes way more time and effort.

A person can fuck around all they want and still get their black belt.

You are spewing bullshit.

having gotten a master's degree, i would say the martial arts probably has a better return / value on it. at least you learn a martial art.

Mastering a martial art is like mastering being a doctor.

PhD doesn't make you a master doctor. It's merely one small step.

Getting a black belt isn't "mastering" a martial art either though, if that's where you're heading.

Getting a PhD requires more work imo. It's also more beneficial to yourself and society.

Back