Would you compare mastering a martial art to completing a PHD

Steven_Universe

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In terms of study.

Getting a BJJ black belt for instance.

I would say that it actually takes a lot more training and discipline than becoming a doctor.

I’d probably compare it to becoming a surgeon.

No matter how smart/good you are at anything there is still more to learn.

If you were to cut out all the extraneous horseshit universities impose that don't contribute a rimjob to the discipline you're hypothetically studiyng, then a bjj black belt would probably take comparable work and dedication. But with all the blah blah blah that is necessary in academia, a PhD is more work. Just my opinion.
Source: bjj purple belt and 3rd year PhD candidate

In terms of time spent learning craft you can make comparisons
In terms of importance you’d be hard pressed
As doctors save people

Mastering a martial art is like mastering being a doctor.

PhD doesn't make you a master doctor. It's merely one small step.

Does anyone have a comparison of years of study? I only got to like purple belt when I was a kid. Does 21 years of school sound right for a doctor? K-8 = 9 years, high school = 4 years, college = 4 years, medical school = 4 years. I think that's right.

100%

They say it takes 7-10 years to master anything in life

I would say its similar to being a general practice doctor but any doctor with a specialty trumps that. There is a inherent intelligence needed to do doctor work, especially specialties whereas if you keep on showing up to BJJ eventually through trial and error you will get a black belt. If you keep on showing up to medical school but have no medical ability you will never pass. Just my 2c.

In terms of study.

Getting a BJJ black belt for instance.

I would say that it actually takes a lot more training and discipline than becoming a doctor.

I’d probably compare it to becoming a surgeon.

Depends on whether you include the 12 years of elementary and high school, and then 4 years of undergrad as part of the study for getting a Phd.

In terms of time spent learning craft you can make comparisons
In terms of importance you’d be hard pressed
As doctors save people
And get paid more most of the time, have longer careers, and don’t get CTE

everything is just variables and patterns.

intelligence is the ability to see those variables and patterns.

thus it is comparable because they are both intellectual practices.

Last edited:
PhD is not medical doctor

medical doctors have to take a special test just to get to med school
then they have to go to school
then practice for hundreds of hours
then get certified by an independent party

you think your strip mall BJJ coach has more training than that? especially when guys like the Nog bros basically give out black belts with brazilian happy meals lol

Doctors save BJJ victims...

Getting a black belt is much, much easier. I think the average person would have an easier time becoming a black belt than getting an "A" in a college Calculus course. Sports are much easier than academics or playing a musical instrument. Sports don't require the same concentration, they are less boring, and they are more rewarding (more dopamine).

Think of these things as being on a spectrum:

Having sex
Practicing a sport
Practicing an instrument
Studying math

Our brains are wired to reward physical activities and things that increase our reproductive success.

Last edited:
And get paid more most of the time, have longer careers, and don’t get CTE
And don’t have troll on their internet and are not called Manlets or a level Athletes and generally have a peaceful life making more money than your average fighter

Back