*Would you choose to have the striking skills of Wonderboy/Barboza or the grappling of Maia/Askren?*

Seiryoku Zenyo

We are all one
@Brown
Reaction score
Without the need to compete or get into street fights. Just for the fun and the self-confidence.

Striker or grappler?

Grappling no doubt. Plus you have the benefit of having bad ass cauliflower ears..

Nobody fcks with the guy with cauliflower ears..

Barboza is art in motion. I'd love to have the skills of my favorite fighter.

But overall, striking. Striking rules, grappling drools.

Well barboza and wonderboy are two different styles. Still the inside leg kicks of barboza are so beautiful i would pick him. Even though i prefer grappling overall,i like the hard nosed Khabib/Fedor in ya face style more than Askren/Maia style

If you have no plans on competing then I am sure it will be seen as more cool to be a striker rather than wrestling around with a dude.

Even amongst guys who compete in amateur MMA they find it a lot easier to be self effacing about their grappling and tend to over rate their striking in my experience.

I train in BJJ so if I suddenly showed up one day with the grappling ability of Maia, it'd be worth it for the confusion alone.

Chicks dig the striking.

If were not talking about competing, its grappling 100 percent. Its just utter dominance especially when the other guy doesnt know how to deal with it.

With striking i believe theres still a chance you can catch a devastating hit even from someone with limited experience. Ive seen this personally.

The striking plus add in the tdd from Aldo.

My 2 favorite fighters ever are Chuck Liddell and Mirko Cro cop, so I will pick striking. I would love to be able to kick like CC!:rolleyes:

grappling no doubt. I've done karate, boxing and kickboxing for about half of my life, so with legendary grappling skills like those I'd even try to make a run to the UFC tbh.

Striking is more cool to show to your girlfriend
but Mai is grappling, wow, would be a super good weapon against critter with 2 legs

Striking for sure. In this age of social distancing, you wanna keep fools at an arms length away, not wrap them around your legs on the floor.

If competing, I'd go with Grappling, cuz I think my current striking is more developed than my grappling, so mathematically, I'm just getting more.

If it's just for, to have, and I'm not competing in anything? The striking

If I choose the grappling skills of Askren or Maia, am I stuck with the striking skills of Askren or Maia?

Grappling for sure. I plan on going into corrections/law enforcement in the near future where knowing how to grapple is a practical necessity. I'd much rather be magically bestowed world-class grappling and then put in the gym hours for some fundamental boxing defense and offensive Muay Thai.

For maximum hilarity, my fat, untalented zero-stripe White Belt ass goes back to BJJ class for the first time in months and smashes the instructor -- a 3rd Degree Black Belt under Roberto Traven with championship victories dating back to 1998 -- and when asked where I've been all this time and asked how I got so good, I just shrug and say that I watched some Master Ken tutorials on YouTube and bought a brand new rash guard attribute my newfound success to that.

Last edited:
Askren became champion with literally nothing but his wrestling.

If you'd add nothing more but servicable striking, you'd be damn hard to beat already.

Back