Would you bet on Jones to still beat DC at this point?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Hatorade, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Hatorade Green Belt

Yes, Reyes is a quality fighter, but let's face it, Jones is a different fighter than he was a few years ago. Some of it could be that he's over 30 years old now. Younger guys don't think this is old, but it is for an athlete. Some of it could be a motivation thing, as the guy has been in the sport for over a decade now, and he's never lost on paper. Obviously, he looks and fights different since coming back from suspension, but he didn't look bad at all in the second Gus fight. Yes, Gus also looked like a shell of himself too though, so who knows? It's as if Jones doesn't have the ability or will to wrestlefuck people anymore. 10 years ago, Jones would have put a fighter like Reyes on his back and elbowed his face in, but that obviously didn't happen last night.

The Jones that fought Reyes last night would not have beat the following fighters IMO
    DC both fights
    Gus in the first fight
    Shad
    Possibly Machida

All this talk of him going up to HW at this point of his career and dominating is over I think. One of those big boys like Francis or Stipe would put his lights out if he let them connect like that.

At this point do you think he could beat an over 40 DC? Who would you bet on in a trilogy match. I don't think it could happen because Jones has nothing to gain an everything to lose from that fight. If he got whooped, it would basically be like admitting he had to be on jet fuel to beat DC both fights.

2. NinjaSkillZ Blue Belt

Yes. He will never make 205.
    [​IMG]

3. Harlekin Brown Belt

No, DC is too old now. He would lose even worse.
    Jones isn't out of prime. He just never had a right hand and Reyes has better footwork, head movement and boxing. Combined with good kicks, reads and distance.

4. mjfan23 Silver Belt

At HW? Favour DC

at LHW? Jones kills DC if the cut doesn’t

5. accolyte1022 Loner Belt

Yeah, close fight.

Dat ass on dat AV
    .<YayKpop>

6. YourBoss Blue Belt

At HW without the juice DC smashes this fraud.

7. Hatorade Green Belt

Jones is out of prime bud.....LMAO
    The guy that Shogan fought for the belt would have beat Reyes into a living death, Wake the fuck up...smh

8. TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle Brown Belt

Yes, styles make fights and DC is a 40 year old on the verge of retirement.

9. Candy Routure Brown Belt

DC can never be counted out. Jon won’t fight him at HW.. That says something..

10. moogie101 Brown Belt

This "clean" version of Jones is terrible & barely getting by guys that pre-USDA he'd have wiped the floor with. DC destroys this version of Jones regardless of the weightclass, BUT we all know Jones would never have the balls to face DC clean.

11. Rod Farva War Big Nog!

Not if he fights the way he did last night.
    Jones has looked awfully vulnerable in his last couple of fights. I think the end of his reign is near

Physically, he also looked like crap.

12. Fight Professor Gold Belt

DC is short and old. Jones wins again.

13. Hatorade Green Belt

I think he fights one more and calls it quits. I don't think Jones will be a gy to just keep fighting for the love of fighting like Anderson or Fedor. I think he's more like GSP and only fights to win. He's not a risk taker at all.

14. Shinobi Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Jon won a fight against DC that was a pretty close fight and no one did any damage. He never dominated him. The second fight is NC and means nothing. At this point, with many more hours of tape on Jon, DC beats him, as long as Jon isn't juiced.

15. Mob69 Black Belt

DC ain't making LHW again. If they fought at HW right now, my money is on DC.

16. KantoTerror Silver Belt

Jon beat him twice...what makes you think he won't beat him again? Both wins aren't even flukes...Jones is untouchable in LHW. in HW he might lose to Stipe but not to DC.

17. Hatorade Green Belt

Everything I said in the original post

18. Linelo Black Belt

Nothing in DC's game has changed to bridge the gap. Jones even in his more reserved fighting style can exploit Cormier's porous kicking defense, openings for body work, and general need to wade through shots to close the distance vs Jones. Jon's offensive wrestling change doesn't mean he's more vulnerable on defense.

As far as striking defense, Jones can be touched but his rolling with punches and head movement actually does function better now. Although he does still have bad habits in his stiff arming and resets.

Jones UDs DC again at LHW.

19. Hatorade Green Belt

He beat DC in the first fight with stamina. They were tied going into that 3rd round. Could Jones fight at the same Place he did against DC without pissing hot? I don't think so

Jones held his own in the Clinch with DC in both fights in the early rounds. Could he do that clean? I don't think so.

I definitely think that prime DC beats current Jones; however, current DC and Jones would be a different story. I think it would be like the first fight but much closer.

20. No Skill Gap Brown Belt Platinum Member

I thought about this as well TS.

Clearly Jones is a different fighter now, or has a different "plan" going into fights. He has fought weaker competition as of late and only finished 1 guy who was losing to fringe top 10 guys prior - Gus.

Idk man, I like both Jones and DC. I would have said Jones would beat DC at LHW almost certainly, and it would be closer at HW but I'd favor Jones. But now? I can see DC beating him at LHW and I think DC might be favored at HW or it's a 50/50 pick em.

Maybe it's just style, Jones clearly struggles against tall opponents. But it's not just style. Jones has been fighting "not to lose" rather than with killer instinct. 7/9 of his last fights have been decisions, and I'm counting the NC as a finish against DC here. He hasn't finished a guy with two bum knees, a journeyman esque challenger in Anthony Smith, and he didn't even attempt to finish Reyes in this fight.

I'd favor DC at HW. I would. Near 50/50 but I would very very slightly favor DC at HW. Different animal, bigger, more power, more force. Jones has to bulk and hurt his cardio / gain fat to go up there, or else have a size disadvantage. Unless he's taking a year+ off to gain mass.