Opinion Would you be okay with a non-mandatory background check for private gun sales?

Would you be okay with a non-mandatory background check for private gun sales?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think you did.

The reason why we have background checks is to prevent felons from purchasing weapons. If felons are now allowed to purchase weapons under your proposal, why would we background check anybody?

I'm giving you a real world example. We have UBC but nobody is using it.

I don’t have an issue with background checks generally. My view of gun ownership for felons is that I don’t believe anyone should be barred from a constitutional right by default for life. However, I do think there should be statutes for how long a person can be sentenced - both to time in prison and to time released without certain civil rights - and with harsher sentences going to folks convicted of violent gun crimes like armed robbery.

I agree though that most NFA items should simply be available to all free Americans under the same rules and regulations as other regularly available firearms. A tax stamp isn’t going to stop someone from doing something evil, and personally if I want to pop a can on my rifle so maybe I don’t get permanent hearing damage if I need to use it unexpectedly indoors, I think that shouldn’t cost me an extra $200 just for others to have the illusion of safety.

I don't really see the reason for this. Is it for a seller to determine whether he is selling to a responsible person? Seems like someone either should or shouldn't be allowed to own a fire arm so if it's simply a way for a seller to know if someone is allowed, then maybe. Aren't there already ways to do this like with a permit number?

Back