Would you be OK with a "Pop Warnar" or "Little League" for MMA?

Nah.

Maybe at like 14 they can start having matches with headgear and stricter rules to avoid concussions.

14 years old is when kids start getting knock-down power. Headgear helps prevent cauliflower ear and headbutt cuts, but doesn't prevent concussions. There is no easy answer. My kids have been stand-up sparring since they were six and the truth is I'm think of having them switch to wrestling of jiu-jitsu. They are getting bigger and better, but so is the competition. Matches at 14 years old are no joke.

Headgear definitely helps lessen blows c'mon.

He's right...headgear doesn't prevent concussions. May actually cause more since you have a bigger target, more mass on your head and less visibility to incoming shots.

The last Olympics didn't have them and amateur boxing is moving away from it because of safety concerns but what do they know, I guess?

oh delicious

Sounds like you'd prefer to rely on broscience over actual data.

Let the Little Leagues bang bro

"Thus far, out of over 750 athletic exposures, we have had 11 injuries and zero concussions, all tracked by physicians working under Dr. James Andrews, a world renown sports medicine authority."

A. Source?
B. Accumulated Sub-concussive forces on the brain are not healthy either and are also responsible for brain damage

http://www.traumaticbraininjury.net/sub-concussive-hits-are-causing-serious-brain-damage/

But by all means, let's expose people whose brains are not fully developed to damage.

A. Source?
B. Accumulated Sub-concussive forces on the brain are not healthy either.

Everything isn't healthy. Cheerleading is one of the greatest sources of catastrophic injuries.

If mine wanted in, I'd sign him up. For fighting, not for women's grappling.

Everything isn't healthy. Cheerleading is one of the greatest sources of catastrophic injuries.

In cheer leading, the goal of the competition isn't to render your opponent incapable of continuing, often times via repeated blows to the head. Nice false analogy though.

There's a huge difference between incidental injuries and intentional injuries.

Last edited:
Hell no, I love MMA but I would never wanna see my kid fighting

We are a much pussified society now

They talking keeping kids from tackle football till High School wanting them to play flag and shit

In cheer leading, the goal of the competition isn't to render your opponent incapable of continuing, often times via repeated blows to the head. Nice false analogy though.

There's a huge difference between incidental injuries and intentional injuries.

Does intent matter in the end when the shit is inherently dangerous?

If it came out that gymnastics caused three times as many serious spinal injuries as MMA, does it matter that the goal of gymnastics isn't to hit or slam someone?

Does intent matter in the end when the shit is inherently dangerous?

If it came out that gymnastics caused three times as many serious spinal injuries as MMA, does it matter that the goal of gymnastics isn't to hit or slam someone?

Yes, yes it does. Intent is the difference between murder and manslaughter, even though the end result is the same.

The bottom line is that I, like most rationally thinking adults, would not expose their children to intentional brain trauma via children's MMA. Of course, there are morons that would. I'm not proposing it be banned or anything like that, I just wouldn't support my child's participation.

Pop Warner and little league football have been getting hit hard over the last couple years and participation has dropped.

No way this generation of parents allow their kids to do MMA training let alone competition.
The PC generation of snowflakes will ruin america.

Yes, yes it does. Intent is the difference between murder and manslaughter, even though the end result is the same.

The bottom line is that I, like most rationally thinking adults, would not expose their children to intentional brain trauma via children's MMA. Of course, there are morons that would. I'm not proposing it be banned or anything like that, I just wouldn't support my child's participation.

This isn't a criminal case...we're comparing legal sports/activities.

Sport A, where the goal is to hurt someone in a contact environment, has 500 serious injuries for every 100k participants.

Sport B, a non-contact sport, has 1000 serious injuries for every 100k participants.

You really going to tell me that Sport B is safer, because the intent to hurt someone isn't there?

Take children and emotions out of it and use logic. I'm not implying that MMA is safer than gymnastics but many people sure don't seem to have an issue with kids playing football in this country.

My daughters 8 years old, 5 ft tall, 120 lbs... has a flicking jab, a right hand like Hendo and knows what double underhooks are.

She may just be a once in a lifetime athlete.

Only if they had no head blows. They have something like it with Pankration I believe.

I would rather not see kids strike each other at a young age, BJJ is a pretty awesome kid sport.

This isn't a criminal case...we're comparing legal sports/activities.

Sport A, where the goal is to hurt someone in a contact environment, has 500 serious injuries for every 100k participants.

Sport B, a non-contact sport, has 1000 serious injuries for every 100k participants.

You really going to tell me that Sport B is safer, because the intent to hurt someone isn't there?

Take children and emotions out of it and use logic. I'm not implying that MMA is safer than gymnastics but many people sure don't seem to have an issue with kids playing football in this country.

A. You're making up statistics. There probably aren't even 100k MMA participants
B. We have no idea what the long term impact is for MMA fighters, especially those that start as children because there isn't much precedent.

We only scratching the surface in our knowledge of brain injuries and what we do know doesn't look good. If you want to expose your kids to that, have at it...I don't give a shit, they're your kids. I'm only speaking for myself. If you want your kids to sound like Wanderlei Silva or Chuck Liddell in their late 30's, that's for your conscience to bear.

Btw, my "murder" analogy illustrates the difference between intent and incident, but that clearly escaped you.

Last edited:
No. I'm all for grappling tournaments for little kids and training stand up, but they don't need to be doing MMA or standup competition at a young age. They can start that when they are 18.
This.

Back