Would you be OK with a "Pop Warnar" or "Little League" for MMA?

Nah.

Maybe at like 14 they can start having matches with headgear and stricter rules to avoid concussions.

I'll try to keep my kids away from brain damage.

But I actually plan to have them learning judo from an early age (4-5yo)

I was kidding judo is great for self defense. Although having a standup base as a kid is important. I did full contact karate and muay thai, never had any issues with trauma, and its saved me in real life confrontation.

Go the Thai way, and have children fighting as soon as they come out of the womb.

No. Grappling? Absolutely. I encourage.

Let them save the head trauma for the college years.

Maybe at like 14 they can start having matches with headgear and stricter rules to avoid concussions.

14 years old is when kids start getting knock-down power. Headgear helps prevent cauliflower ear and headbutt cuts, but doesn't prevent concussions. There is no easy answer. My kids have been stand-up sparring since they were six and the truth is I'm think of having them switch to wrestling of jiu-jitsu. They are getting bigger and better, but so is the competition. Matches at 14 years old are no joke.

14 years old is when kids start getting knock-down power. Headgear helps prevent cauliflower ear and headbutt cuts, but doesn't prevent concussions. There is no easy answer. My kids have been stand-up sparring since they were six and the truth is I'm think of having them switch to wrestling of jiu-jitsu. They are getting bigger and better, but so is the competition. Matches at 14 years old are no joke.
Headgear definitely helps lessen blows c'mon.

People act like wrestlers and Judoka don't get slammed on their head and concussed or clash of heads in practice and matches.

My kids have been wrestling for 7 years and doing bjj for 2 1/2 years. They also take a striking class but dont do it as much as they would like.....just not enough time. My youngest is 12 and his first love is wrestling. My oldest is 14 and he slightly prefers bjj to wrestling. They both love sparring practice. Even though they enjoy all the different aspects I wouldn't want them competing in youth mma....I really don't want them doing it when they are older but if that's the path they choose I would support them.

If they rebrand 135 into this, It will be a huge succes.

In California many kids have fought over 20 times since becoming a regulated sport late 2014. Coaches are vetted with criminal backgrounds and mandatory safety training while kids have medical requirements including pre and post fight screenings from a physician. Thus far, out of over 750 athletic exposures, we have had 11 injuries and zero concussions, all tracked by physicians working under Dr. James Andrews, a world renown sports medicine authority. Pre regulated events have helped produce Young professional standouts like Angela and Christian Lee, Aaron Pico, Joseph Morales and Angelo Trevino. 12 and 13 year olds competing right now will have 50 plus youth bouts before they fight adult MMA. If the trend of being injury free continues , those who plan on fighting professionally will have a huge advantage over others, equally as important, most will get their experience in a safe youth league and feel have no need to compete as an adult, where damage occurs in 40% of each bout.

sure, who needs a working brain

Yeah, great idea. Let's expose kids to intentional head trauma at an early age.

Yeah, great idea. Let's expose kids to intentional head trauma at an early age.
"Thus far, out of over 750 athletic exposures, we have had 11 injuries and zero concussions, all tracked by physicians working under Dr. James Andrews, a world renown sports medicine authority."

I don't have kids but I'm fine with other parents letting their kids do it

"Thus far, out of over 750 athletic exposures, we have had 11 injuries and zero concussions, all tracked by physicians working under Dr. James Andrews, a world renown sports medicine authority."
oh delicious

Back