Would you be OK with a "Pop Warnar" or "Little League" for MMA?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by King Pun**, Jun 9, 2017.

1. King Pun**

King Pun** Blue Belt

MMA has been popular enough to where children as young as 3 know what it is. If a child has a interest in MMA (and says he/she wants to become professional when they are an adult) as a parent would you support it? I thought 6 years ago that we would see more of an evolution to the game because of fighters starting young but this does not seem to be the case.

2. KeepItRealist

KeepItRealist Yellow Card Yellow Card

They won't even let kids play dodgeball these days.

El Fernas, Pied Piper, HHJ and 14 others like this.
  3. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Steel Belt

No. I'm all for grappling tournaments for little kids and training stand up, but they don't need to be doing MMA or standup competition at a young age. They can start that when they are 18.

4. king_ebeneezer

king_ebeneezer Brown Belt

With all we know about CTE now I can't imagine this ever being a thing.

5. Bend NvR Break

Bend NvR Break Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.

Pop Warner and little league football have been getting hit hard over the last couple years and participation has dropped.

No way this generation of parents allow their kids to do MMA training let alone competition.

6. pick999

pick999 Silver Belt

My future kids will play in mlb and make 2m a year no thank you

7. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Steel Belt

Or AAA and make $300 a week.

8. Dead Kennedy

Dead Kennedy Don't steal, the government hates competition

I agree with the grappling tournaments but if it's anything wrestling, that can be a problem in and of itself. Or really even any competitive sport for that matter. Kids are growing and constantly changing and it can stunt there growth or have long term adverse effects. Just look at gymnasts. You also see those parents with trophy children, parents who pretty much force or bully their kids into doing sports to an extreme. So I vote no for full contact MMA for kids. But that's just this Dads opinion and...

[​IMG]

9. Topguntrophey

Topguntrophey Brown Belt

10. mark1970

mark1970 White Belt

Youth boxing, wrestling, karate, and BJJ are available. It's practically impossible for a kid to learn all the disciplines necessary for MMA, so they need be more narrow when they are young. If they want to learn MMA when they are older, they will have a good base to branch out and learn the variety needed for MMA. My kids compete in boxing and really enjoy it, but they don't have the least bit of ground experience. They tried baseball, soccer, and basketball, but that is not where their passion is. Maybe they will want to join the wrestling team when they get to high school, but then they will have to drop boxing. They simply don't have the time to do both.

11. Kung Fu Kowboy

Kung Fu Kowboy RIP Kobe Bryant You will be Missed!!! Staff Member Senior Moderator

Nope. You cant even spank your kids now. So letting them get punched would be a no no.

12. BRaVo cHoKe

BRaVo cHoKe Brown Belt

You have kids that do BJJ, Karate, boxing and wrestling. No sensible reason to keep the disciplines separate for safety concerns.

Kristian82 likes this.
  13. mark1970

mark1970 White Belt

It's necessary to keep them separate because each one of those martial arts takes a lot of time and effort to learn. Even professional fighters keep their martial arts training separate. They have a boxing coach, a BJJ coach, etc..Professionals and truly dedicated adults have time to do all those several times per week, but that is practically impossible for a kid. Maybe when the kids are on summer break, they might have the time for that, but even then it would be a real stretch.

Grrrr likes this.
  14. BRaVo cHoKe

BRaVo cHoKe Brown Belt

Your point is valid, but the point I was making was about the perceived danger involved in teaching children MMA.

15. geezus17

geezus17 Orange Belt

Definitely don't think a kids league would happen. However, I would be curious to see if it was possible for colleges to pick it up. Even if it would start as a club sport type of thing like colleges have rugby now, but given MMA's popularity, it isn't out of the question that it could become bigger

16. Crazedpyro

Crazedpyro Green Belt

Getting punched in the head as a kid is what leads to stupid ideas like this thread.

17. mark1970

mark1970 White Belt

That's true about the perceived danger...particularly about blows to the head. I live in California and youth boxing is really an active sport, but it wouldn't be if it weren't for recent Mexican immigrants. If it weren't for them, boxing would be dead. Whites, asians, and blacks barely participate in boxing around here and it's mostly due to safety concerns.

18. Bend NvR Break

Bend NvR Break Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.

Multiple colleges already have it as clubs. University of Illinois has a MMA club.

Pat Barry got into kickboxing because of a college kickboxing club at University of New Orleans.

19. smart.feller

smart.feller Beer Drinker

While I would have no interest in watching little kids duke it out, I don't have a problem with them training, and if they WANT to participate, I don't see any reason they shouldn't. You'd have to have certain safety gear in place (headgear, padded training style gloves, cups for the boys, mouth protectors, shin guards)...but to say it shouldn't happen...not my place to tell others what they should or shouldn't do.

What I see as the potential problem is that even with weight classes, you'd have overly active parents living vicariously through their child putting their chubby 130 lbs. kid against a physically fit 130 lbs. kid and the fatty getting mauled...when I was coaching soccer for the YMCA I'd see kids who wanted to be out there and kids who'd rather be picking grass...in MMA, the grasspkicking kid is going to have a bad day.

You could modify the rules for youth to increase safety, like no striking to the head on the ground, different submissions available by age bracket, immediate timeout if a mouthpiece comes out, three two minute rounds, and a point system for knockdowns/takedowns/significant strikes to ensure that you don't have lopsided beatings that continue because the kid is physically tough but unskilled.

I think it's great when kids train in more than one discipline. I've seen kids as young as 5 taking both TKD and BJJ classes. I've seen kids that young in judo, kenpo, and boxing. If all of the different elements are considered safe (enough) for kids to participate in, it doesn't suddenly become dangerous when they are all combined.

El Fernas, Skylako and 111293 like this.
  20. beastman

beastman Silver Belt

NAGA, US Grappling and youth wrestling are all that is needed.

If kids go full MMA too early, they'll be burned out and chinny by 18-19.