1. Where did your likes go? Please Read This Thread »

Would you be ashamed if your son became a janitor?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Sakuraba is #1, Jun 28, 2020.

1. lsa Maître d' at The Pussy Lounge

Bill need to get a job

2. A.S. Deep Black Belt

Janitor son = Considered a Loser

Janitor daughter = Most don't seem to care

This way of thinking is sexist in both ways, funny enough. It treats girls like children, making it okay to judge them with easier standards (as if they're not capable of more). And it bases a guy's worth on his monetary success/ prestige, even if that doesn't actually make him happy.

I notice this type of low-level thinking a lot.

Reyesnuthugr likes this.
  3. Social Distance Warrior Yellow Card Yellow Card

Agreed

A.S. Deep likes this.
  4. Merlotte's Silver Belt

A lot of union janitorial jobs where I live. Good paying jobs with great benefits. Man’s got to make a living.

5. Twelvepack Orange Belt

I'm currently a janitor and I'm deeply ashamed of myself, if that answers your question. I'm probably the least successful financially of my immediate family. My life is waking up in pain followed by sorrow in the evening and a quiet resignation of discontent to cap it all off before bed. My father thinks I'm a failure, but probably for other reasons

6. Mike RIP Frankie

Nah as long as they're happy I wouldn't care. It's important to make enough money to be independent, but beyond that do whatever makes you happy.

7. Mike RIP Frankie

Worst job I've ever had, and even though I was very good at it I'll never do it again. Completely soul crushing.

all caps likes this.
  8. MIKOM Making it up as I go along.

I would have no problem with it.... especially if he was that kick-ass janitor in the teen spirit video.

9. Legumes Shoe String Belt

$42/hr? Do they call him in for consultation on bathroom or trash related crimes?

10. SoberAwakening Black Belt

The janitor at my gym is a super cool dude. No matter the time of day, he always greets everyone with a smile and says something like, "how are you my friend? Good?"

We might not all acknowledge each other as members of the gym for one reason or the other, but we all acknowledge him because we know he's a cool dude who just so happens to clean up after our dirty asses.

11. Tireur889 Yellow Belt

If he could support himself financially and was genuinely content with his job,I wouldn't mind if my son was a janitor

12. Zookeeper Gabe Animal Feces Engineer

Or some sort of conspiracy theorist that wrote garbage books

also
    [​IMG]

13. MXZT Black Belt Platinum Member

Doesn't Janitor get paid pretty well? Regardless it's a good job, without janitors we would be working at filthy places. Mad respects for janitors.

genecop likes this.
  14. genecop Gold Belt

Nope, if he was happy and lived life with integrity...I would support..

Rygu likes this.
  15. Tone C Silver Belt

You bastard, I was going to ask how he liked them apples..

16. MusterX Titanium Belt

You do realize that civilization would collapse without all the low paid workers like janitors, lawn mowers, burger flippers, etc. Even a little further up the totem poll we would be absolutely fucked without things like truck drivers to deliver your food and clothes to you. Its baked into the system. Without low paid poor people, civilization can't survive.

John Mabrey likes this.
  17. Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

When I was in college, I had a friend from that town who did not go to college at all and had no plans to. He landed a job with the college as a janitor. He now makes $55k there. Ironically, his wife is a professor there and makes $57k.

all caps likes this.
  18. JoeyJoeJoeJr Black Belt

My mother makes it pretty clear she doesn't approve of me working as a security guard. She is always harping on me to find a higher paying job, and to do something that takes advantage of my intelligence. My sister's are all pretty successful in a monetary sense.

I just don't view life the same way that they do. I value free time more than money. At my current position, I can browse the internet and learn about things I'm interested in everyday, while working. I don't do it because I'm lazy. I do it because it makes me happy, and I always enjoy learning about what's going on in the world, reading about new technology, politics etc.

I don't have a family to provide for, and I never will, so I don't have the same incentives to find better pay. I have asked for a raise recently, but it didn't work out.

I also have extreme social anxiety, so I can't talk myself up the way others can. I'm more likely to undersell myself than oversell myself, and I don't actually believe I have any real special qualities.
    If they asked me in an interview what I can do better than other people, or what my skills are, I'd likely say nothing and none. I don't consider myself special.

I have nothing to really offer an employer, and there is no real good reason for them to consider me for a higher paying position.

Rygu and John Mabrey like this.
  19. method115 Titanium Belt

If he was happy then I'm fine with it.

20. D Train Gold Belt

Would not bother me. Maybe he’s also serving at a food bank and has awesome hobbies and good friends.