Would weight ranges (for each class) and same day weight in's be better than weight cutting?

S

SouthoftheAndes

If we kept the current range of weight classes and ended weight cutting it would destroy the UFC. Since your average WW's are 5'10 and weight 185 to 190lbs on fight night. Having the WW max limit be 170 would cause everyone to have to drop a weight class (meaning drop lots of muscle mass). And remember that GSP was a perfect example of the ideal weight and athleticism for his height and he would weigh188lbs or so. Fighters like prime GSP, Hughes, current Lawler, Hendricks, Woodley, gastellum are too built, stocky, to cut to LW and be in optimum shape. And they all lack the height and frame that MW's have. Thus they wouldn't be able to successfully fight at MW.

For example. Imagine same day weigh-in's and they do dehydration tests to make sure you aren't dehydrated (i.e. trying to cut). A fighter must be hydrated and then the fight starts a few hours later and they weight again right before the fight. Any fighter who weighs over the max limit for each division will not be allowed to fight if they miss weight by more than 1lbs (2lbs as weight classes go up).

Women's divisions .

Atomweight (If it ever happens).= 105lbs to 116lbs.

Straweight= 115lbs to 125lbs

Flyweight (if it ever happens). = 125lbs to 140lbs.

Bantamweight= 135lbs to 151lbs

Feathweight (if it ever happens). = 145lbs to 170lbs.

Men's divisions

Flyweight division= 125lbs to 140lbs.

Bantamweight division= 135lbs to 150lbs.

Featherweight division= 145lbs to 160lbs. (Connor would have to move up to LW, which as a Connor fan I'd be happy for).

Lightweight division = 155lbs to 170lbs. Fighters can't weight more than 171lbs and must be hydrated.

Welterweight division= 170lbs to 191lbs. Fighters can't weight more than 191lbs. (This wouldn't be an issue since GSP and all WW Weight less than 192lbs during fight night). Another 2 pounds to shed of fat wouldn't be hard.

Middleweight division= 185lbs to 208lbs. (This again works since the basically all MW's are 200lbs to 205lbs).

Light heavyweight division = 205lbs to 230lbs. (Again this works because no LHW is cutting 30lbs of water weight and then weighting in 30lbs heavier as far as I know.)

Heavyweight division= 230lbs to 285lbs. Fighters can't weight more than 286lbs.

To me this would be perfect. It would only really effect the lower weight classes. Since FW are only 10lbs away from the LW minimum weight and most FW are actually fighting at a comfortable 150lbs to 160lbs. Still though FW are shorter on average and smaller frames than LW's, so LW wouldn't try for the cut since they wouldn't be allowed to dehydrate themselves. It also, prevents +6ft MW from trying to cut to WW as easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see same day weigh ins. It's the safest, and most fair system for ALL fighters. It will happen. It's just a matter of time.

Fighters will still try to cut same day and perform like shit

Said that, i approve

I'd like to see same day weigh ins. It's the safest, and most fair system for ALL fighters. It will happen. It's just a matter of time.

What I just proposed and the allowed Weight ranges is what fighters are currently weight at anyways. It's nothing new it is just removing the dehydration and Wright cutting BS. And it would prevent larger framed guys from trying to cut to lower weight classes.

I'm a Connor fan but it's obvious he belongs at LW. I'm a Jones fan and it's obvious he is weight in the acceptable range for LHW. I also, think raising the max limit to 285lbs for HW. Would be good. And keeping the minimum at 230 (unless a fighter weight less really wants to fight at HW and if it would be allowed.

Even Daniel Cormier isn't weight 230lbs on fight night. He is smaller than he was at HW.

Said that, i approve

That is why they get weighted in day before maybe, day of and then right before the fight. If USADA can be as hardcore and nazis like as they are surprising fighters at their gyms and ruining UFC cards all in an effort to 'clean' up the sport. Then I don't see how they couldn't or the athletic commissions couldn't apply the same degree of intensity to weight in's.

They have tests by the way to make sure someone isn't dehydrated. And weight in before the fight wouldn't give anyone a chance to gain back waterweight. In addition, anyone who is caught cutting would be prevented from fighting, fined, and possibly suspended. You wouldnt be allowed to fight if you earlier weight in at 188lbs and now are 200lbs for a WW fight.

If we kept the current range of weight classes and ended weight cutting it would destroy the UFC. Since your average WW's are 5'10 and weight 185 to 190lbs on fight night. Having the WW max limit be 170 would cause everyone to have to drop a weight class (meaning drop lots of muscle mass). And remember that GSP was a perfect example of the ideal weight and athleticism for his height and he would weight 188lbs or so. Fighters like prime GSP, Hughes, current Lawler, Hendricks, Woodley, gastellum are too built, stocky, to cut to LW and be in optimum shape. And they all lack the height and frame that MW's have. Thus they wouldn't be able to successfully fight at MW.

For example. Imagine same day weight-in's and they do dehydration tests to make sure you aren't dehydrated (i.e. trying to cut). A fighter must be hydrated and then the fight starts a few hours later and they weight again right before the fight. Any fighter who weights over the max limit for each division will not be allowed to fight if they miss weight by more than 1lbs (2lbs as weight classes go up).

Women's divisions .

Atomweight (If it ever happens).= 105lbs to 116lbs.

Straweight= 115lbs to 125lbs

Flyweight (if it ever happens). = 125lbs to 140lbs.

Bantamweight= 135lbs to 151lbs

Feathweight (if it ever happens). = 145lbs to 170lbs.

Men's divisions

Flyweight division= 125lbs to 140lbs.

Bantamweight division= 135lbs to 150lbs.

Featherweight division= 145lbs to 160lbs. (Connor would have to move up to LW, which as a Connor fan I'd be happy for).

Lightweight division = 155lbs to 170lbs. Fighters can't weight more than 171lbs and must be hydrated.

Welterweight division= 170lbs to 191lbs. Fighters can't weight more than 191lbs. (This wouldn't be an issue since GSP and all WW Weight less than 192lbs during fight night). Another 2 pounds to shed of fat wouldn't be hard.

Middleweight division= 185lbs to 208lbs. (This again works since the basically all MW's are 200lbs to 205lbs).

Light heavyweight division = 205lbs to 230lbs. (Again this works because no LHW is cutting 30lbs of water weight and then weighting in 30lbs heavier as far as I know.)

Heavyweight division= 230lbs to 285lbs. Fighters can't weight more than 286lbs.

To me this would be perfect. It would only really effect the lower weight classes. Since FW are only 10lbs away from the LW minimum weight and most FW are actually fighting at a comfortable 150lbs to 160lbs. Still though FW are shorter on average and smaller frames than LW's, so LW wouldn't try for the cut since they wouldn't be allowed to dehydrate themselves. It also, prevents +6ft MW from trying to cut to WW as easily.
What is a weight in?

Simple English.

What is a weight in?

Simple English.

Fighter in their fight attire (what they wear during the fight). Stepping on a scale and not being below the weight limit range or above for that particular weight class. As I outlined in my first post. And I am on mobile hence autocorection.

Fighter in their fight attire (what they wear during the fight). Stepping on a scale and not being below the weight limit range or above for that particular weight class. As I outlined in my first post.
It's WEIGH IN

WEIGHING IN

Said that, i approve
i doubt they would if the same day weighins (or second weigh in) was just an hour before the event. Guys do not cut to come in the same weight as opponents, they cut so they can gain it back to try and come in much bigger than opponents. If you don't let them gain it back they get all the negatives of a cut with none of the gains.

I would do 2 weigh ins. One the day before with the usual 1lb tolerance so the promoter knows the guy is making weight and/or he can find a replacement if not. And the second one as they enter the cage area with a 5lb tolerance.

i doubt they would if the same day weighins (or second weigh in) was just an hour before the event. Guys do not cut to come in the same weight as opponents, they cut so they can gain it back to try and come in much bigger than opponents. If you don't let them gain it back they get all the negatives of a cut with none of the gains.

I would do 2 weigh ins. One the day before with the usual 1lb tolerance so the promoter knows the guy is making weight and/or he can find a replacement if not. And the second one as they enter the cage area with a 5lb tolerance.
I like this. Probably the most realistic.
My more extreme method would be cageside weighins with half the overweight fighter's purse going to his opponent. This would really encourage the opponent to still take the fight (and huge pay bonus) and really discourage fighters from fighting below their class

Why you being a jerk about it? You assume everyones first language is english or is as grammatically correct as you?
Because you are going into other people's threads to promote your own and it's annoying.

Because you are going into other people's threads to promote your own and it's annoying.

I didn't know that is a rule. I also, suggest you calm down and stop taking an Internet mma forum so seriously it's rather sad.

I don't see why revamping the system is necessary.

It really isnt. It's just setting firm ranges and eliminating cutting weight. A lot of people are against weight cutting in case you didn't know. Including Joe rogan and last I read it was made illegal in a U.S. state.

It's not complicated. Make a rule that an hour before the fight you must weigh in within 17lbs OR 10% of your contracted weight, whichever is greater. Problem solved. Safer for everybody.

It really isnt. It's just setting firm ranges and eliminating cutting weight. A lot of people are against weight cutting in case you didn't know. Including Joe rogan and last I read it was made illegal in a U.S. state.
What state is it illegal in?

Ummm almost all of them weigh over 191. Hendricks has come in over 200. Rory is 200 in camp. Condit is one of the smaller top guys and he is I think 190-191. GSP is the smallest top WW and he is 185-187.

All the top LW fighters would now be in WW, many of them are way over 170.

Necessary, no.

Desired by many, yes.

It would improve overall fight quality and fighter safety as well. Not unsubstantial considerations.
Who is included in that "many?" I don't really recall hearing much discontent from fighters on that topic.

And it's a toss-up regarding how much you actually improve those things by giving people a shorter window of time to eat and rehydrate.

For how i see it they will still try to be bigger as possible at that weight

Size is not just height like many sherdoggers seem believe (think at threads about tall fighters ducking upper divisions lol), but is'nt even only weight itself

Weight, height, range, leverage, bones tickness and overall body structure

They will still try be the bigger man sacrificing just the weight/mass but keeping height, range, bigger bones etc

Same day will just make them renounce to some muscle mass

Overall i think it will make it slighty more fair for more "honest" short muscle bulldogs, because at least they will have the clear advantage on muscle department

My 2cents is that who have the chin/hands to try his luck at next upper division may be pushed to do it by same day weighin (and probably not do well), but everyone else will just accept to lose some strenght/power... wich will be kinda accetable for them since also many opponents will be less strong and powerful.

I think we will see more or less the same fighters in the same WD, just a lil bit weaker with peaks of that for biggest cutters

The ones that will say nevah!! to lose some muscle mass will arrive on the cage in Irvin (vs Sakara) shape and probably perform bad

We will see less KOs and finishes and more points decision
Also more excuses for bad performance if xxx fighter that night does'nt seem his usual self

Back