Would Usman be a more dominant champion if...

Canarinha

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Yes ladies and gents

Would Usman be a more dominant champ if he focused more on his wrestling and ground and pound?

The man has brute strength and I feel he would completely gas his opponents out with a grinding takedown and gnp focused game (Colby included)

Even though he completely dismantled Burns eventually he was really rocked and could have easily lost if Burns could've capitalized better on the knockdown.

It might come off as a joke to some sherdoggers but I don't even think Burns could finish Usman with a sub on the ground, he's just too freakishly powerful.

Trevor Whittman has done a great job evolving and making Usman way more well rounded but I feel he is not using his biggest attribute(wrestling and freak strength) to the fullest.

Agree or No? if no plz explain so I can be enlightened.

ps. sry if my english spelling/writing is bad, hope you guys could understand:)

It depends on who he's fighting. He uses heavy grappling game plans on strikers, and striking based game plan vs wrestlers/grapplers.

He’s about as dominating as any active fighter right now but I suspect he will out wrestle Masvidal (again). Maybe the time with more success.

no, his clinch is way safer in my opinion. he can control his opponents without risking getting swept, submitted, or a scramble that ends up disadvantageous to him. if people get away from his clinch they can only really move into a neutral position, standing. they can't reverse into a superior position like the way you can on the ground.

they can however deliver fight ending strikes in the clinch, but Usman knows this that's why his head is almost always in a safe position.

Yes ladies and gents

Would Usman be a more dominant champ if he focused more on his wrestling and ground and pound?

The man has brute strength and I feel he would completely gas his opponents out with a grinding takedown and gnp focused game (Colby included)

Even though he completely dismantled Burns eventually he was really rocked and could have easily lost if Burns could've capitalized better on the knockdown.

It might come off as a joke to some sherdoggers but I don't even think Burns could finish Usman with a sub on the ground, he's just too freakishly powerful.

Trevor Whittman has done a great job evolving and making Usman way more well rounded but I feel he is not using his biggest attribute(wrestling and freak strength) to the fullest.

so winning like he doesnt isnt good enough?>

No, in a cage his meta is great with his skill set.

Take down's consume a lot of energy and then he's just back in a position of making them work against gravity but he can already do that by pushing them against the cage and leaning on them.

What's more important is the meta that can beat his.

That's the future.

He outwrestles the strikers and out strikes the grapplers.

I think the only thing where Usman really lacks is his striking defense.

If he successfully works on that, he's a borderline flawless fighter.

Yes ladies and gents

his bad knees might prevent him wanting to engage in tough wrestling exchanges (colby)
who knows

He's already completely dominant. Has not came close to losing the belt. He may very well retire as one of the GOATs

He has been pretty dominant

Not particularly. Back and forth fights with Covington and Burns, hugged and footstomped Masvidal. Khabib was a dominant champion.

He's already completely dominant. Has not came close to losing the belt. He may very well retire as one of the GOATs

He was around 50 seconds away from losing it to Covington.

Back