would tyson have beat holyfield in 1991?

your not judging them if they met in 1991!your judging their fights,Holy was not heavy or strong enough to handle a mean Tyson 1991 version..he would have put up a great fight but Tyson would win by TKO or points
So you mean he would win?

Just gonna watch this again now, and as they were being introduced, who are all the absolute bellends trying to stare down holyfield who were wearing black suits and wearing hats?

Round 1: Holy moving in close and starting to assert his physical presence, a lot of people mention the head, but watch the shoulders and elbows..he leans on a LOT and is a clever fighter, Tyson seems to land a good right hand but his footwork is awful, he is straight on and there is no torque to his punches

Gonna end it here, Tyson is shot to bits, he has lost all of the speed and physical gifts he had when he was in his prime, and it is very clear even in round 2 that he is not going to win the fight, his footwork is awful and because of that, he is just throwing arm punches

As we now know, when Mike fell out with a rib injury before their 1991 fight, Bert Cooper stepped in. Bert was the same size and had pretty good power (Oliver McCall has stated that out of all the guys he was in the ring with, Bert hit him the hardest...and that was in sparring)

Bert knocked Evander down. Could Tyson?

The 218-220 Evander will always be able to push back and not be bullied by Tyson. However, would the 208-210 Evander be able to do the same???
Holyfield had a terrible habit of fighting at his opp. level

I don't think so, Tyson fell into so many bad habits and Holyfield, one thing you can say, he was a well schooled experienced, complete fighter. didn't have a punch but he had a great chin and heart. I think he would have beaten the tyson that fought ruddock. Probably have to go back to 88 or so for tyson to have a chance to win.

Are you kidding me?They have fought before as amateurs,Hell i think that they fought twice making Holyfield 4-0 against Tyson so no theres no way Tyson beats Holyfield.....Have you guys ever even watched the fight what leads you to believe Tyson could beat Holyfield (In any era)who has one of the best chins in boxing......
they never fought, tyson was too big, they did spar though and it got so rough that the olympic trainers put a stop to it.

Holyfield had a terrible habit of fighting at his opp. level
he did indeed, i could see holyfield maybe losing a rematch against tyson if he let down, but i don't know if he would against tyson, some guys fought better than they ever did against mike and evander was one of them.

Just gonna watch this again now, and as they were being introduced, who are all the absolute bellends trying to stare down holyfield who were wearing black suits and wearing hats?
those were mike's entourage, most of them good for nothing, no, make that all of them good for nothing. the only ones who i remember were one guy named alligator or crocodile, the main agitator, then there was rory holloway and john horne, a couple guys mike knew from his youth. mike whined years later than those guys bled him dry, i had no sympathy, i won't have any sympathy when mayweather or pac end up doing that either. it's not like they don't have a string of great fighters to learn from.

Round 1: Holy moving in close and starting to assert his physical presence, a lot of people mention the head, but watch the shoulders and elbows..he leans on a LOT and is a clever fighter, Tyson seems to land a good right hand but his footwork is awful, he is straight on and there is no torque to his punches

Gonna end it here, Tyson is shot to bits, he has lost all of the speed and physical gifts he had when he was in his prime, and it is very clear even in round 2 that he is not going to win the fight, his footwork is awful and because of that, he is just throwing arm punches
he was still good enough to beat 95 percent of the worlds heavyweights but ya, a ton of bad habits that he couldn't self-correct and the idiots around him didn't even know what to correct. biggest things were, a paucity before throwing punches, he didn't do that when he was at his best, it was a telegraph that holyfield easily saw through, another was his slow recovery from that big right hand, he'd throw the right, holyfield would catch it then throw back his own, tyson must have taken a hundred of those, lastly tyson didn't step left with his hook, he'd lean and holyfield would just push him further off balance to where Mike couldn't throw a good left hook at all.

I'd bet on Holyfield every day of the week, if they were eight or eighty.

we are talking about 1991 not your dreams! Holy was not strong or heavy enough to handle Tyson, check his fights with Ruddock..check HOLYs against grandad Foreman and Bert Cooper...HOLYs punches had no power to trouble Tyson..Tyson had a great chin pre-prison..Tyson would have stopped HOLY or won a decision,remember check both fighters condition and size in 1991

he was still good enough to beat 95 percent of the worlds heavyweights but ya, a ton of bad habits that he couldn't self-correct and the idiots around him didn't even know what to correct. biggest things were, a paucity before throwing punches, he didn't do that when he was at his best, it was a telegraph that holyfield easily saw through, another was his slow recovery from that big right hand, he'd throw the right, holyfield would catch it then throw back his own, tyson must have taken a hundred of those, lastly tyson didn't step left with his hook, he'd lean and holyfield would just push him further off balance to where Mike couldn't throw a good left hook at all.
what you say is good stuff,but its what you saw in their fights in 96 & 97,its not what you would have seen in 1991..see where l'm coming from..

he did indeed, i could see holyfield maybe losing a rematch against tyson if he let down, but i don't know if he would against tyson, some guys fought better than they ever did against mike and evander was one of them.
he caught Tyson at the perfect time...Tyson post prison had no punch resistence but 1991 would have been a one way victory for Iron Mike..destiny dealt HOLY A helping hand when the 1991 was cancelled

All you Evander Holyfield lovers...how bad was Holy against tubby Larry Holmes in 1992....

read my quote..its says Iron Mike to win by TKO or points
Yeah but people start counts in ludicrous situations all the time. Hatton pacquiao went down as a ko after the ref started a count and then waved it off for example.

Tyson never really got himself into his best fighting shape after 1989. Too much partying and distractions. His style was dependent on being able to keep up the pace in fights. It wasn’t really noticeable because he kept blowing out guys like Seldon and Bruno. Once he fought a guy that wouldn’t just fold and fight back in Holyfield the lack of tip top conditioning showed and he faded late. I believe the one time post 80’s that his conditioning was up to par was the Ruddock fights because of the perceived threat Ruddock posed. Tyson was not as his best technically, but I remember thinking he did get himself in proper shape.
All of that said, I’d take the 1991 version of Tyson to beat Holyfield. I don’t believe Tyson would have faded as badly in ‘91 as he did when they fought. Even if he did, I don’t believe Holyfield would stop him. I also believe Tyson underestimated Holyfield when they fought and was nowhere near his best conditioning wise. Crazy as it seems, I could see Tyson building a lead and hurting Holy early, then fading a bit with Holy coming on in the last few rounds, but Tyson surviving to win a decision. If you insert a ref who would not allow Holy’s headbutts, I think Tyson would possibly stop him.
spot on

Back