Would Teddy Riner Ronda the entire HW division?

Maybe once Ishii stops dominating and retires.

Can he take a hit from a well-rounded heavyweight though? This isn't women's punching power we're talking here.

Plus he'd never be able to submit trollface. Neither could Ronda, if a female equivalent of werdum existed.

So I guess the answer is no, he can't replicate what Ronda did no matter how good he is at judo (IMO).

Are you sure ? i don't doubt what you're saying but he always used to weight at around 280 pounds

It's from the man himself.. Talked about it multiple times in french medias/itw, saying 140-141kg ( which is 308 to 310 lbs )

He was in the 300 range for 2012 Olympics, which is pretty normal as he is "growing" older and filling his frame..

He was already in the 124-127 kg ( 275-280 ) range when he was 19-20 and he is noticeably bigger now too...

He expresed strong dislike of MMA in the past though.

Yes he did.
But i think he did that because MMA is in France still not allowed.

Read this:
The French Judo Federation seem adamant that they want to eliminate MMA's influence on their sport with strict sanctions to any members who are teaching MMA.

It has been a very interesting fortnight in the world of international judo. Firstly, The UFC was forced to revoke its sponsorship of the European Championships in Scotland, and then the European Judo Union decided to relocate the tournament completely, partly due to the British Judo Association's affiliation with the UFC. That was only the tip of the iceberg, as today the French Judo Federation joined the EJU's crusade against MMA, banning all Judo coaches in France from teaching MMA.

According to the president of the French Judo Federation, Jean-Luc Rouge, Mixed Martial Arts and Judo have no place together. Speaking in French magazine, L'Equipe, Rouge had some strong words to say about MMA.

"Anyone (in judo) caught teaching MMA (Mixed martial arts), will be removed from the French Judo Federation. MMA is illegal in France. All those who teach do not have the right and are liable to be written off. They put the Federation in trouble and if there is serious injury, it will be my fault."

Rouge's issue seems not to be just about the possibility of the Federation being liable for any injuries caused by their coaches training students in MMA, but also with the sport in general.

"These new combat sports (MMA) seem like they come out of a video game. These guys are stupid enough to kill each other in front of everyone in a cage and they are well paid, so they would accept. Sport is not war! We must be able to shake hands and go have a beer together in the end."

While these views are extreme, what is more worrying is that the people holding these views are highly influential. Rouge's federation has over 500,000 members in France and it could potentially rule out the possibility of MMA being legal in France for the foreseeable future.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/2/2...aches-teaching-mma-european-judo-championship

It's from the man himself.. Talked about it multiple times in french medias/itw, saying 140-141kg ( which is 308 to 310 lbs )

He was in the 300 range for 2012 Olympics, which is pretty normal as he is "growing" older and filling his frame..

He was already in the 124-127 kg ( 275-280 ) range when he was 19-20 and he is noticeably bigger now too...

T'

Yes he did.
But i think he did that because MMA is in France still not allowed.

Read this:

So bsically that guy doesn't know shit about MMA, and therefore hates it? He sounds like one of those ignorant people who simply haven't a clue what MMA is, and think it's human cockfighting.

No, because MMA is not as shallow as WMMA, and because all male heavyweights have KO power, which makes the fights more competitive and riskier for anyone.

Thanks ;)

No I wasn't, but one of my best friends was, with Teddy in the youth ( "espoirs" ) team so I'm pretty well informed about him ;)

Nice nickname btw, Hazuki Ryo, OSU !
Looks like the 3d episode of your adventures will finally be coming soon :)))

Same for me, they were at Racing and then Levallois. But it was some time ago, it's very possible that he gained weight with age. Crazy to think that he's the same age as me though.

Man i could not believe it... I've been a fan of the game since 2001, almost 15 years of awaiting, rewarded.

Anyway i think Riner is too much of a nice guy to ever consider fighting inside the octagon. At the same time did he not express the feeling to give it a try after the olympics ? we can never be sure.. But UFC can be risky, while staying in JUDO would assure him "decent" income for the future

Pointless speculation. The French Judo Federation are a bunch of bitches that feel threatened by MMA and its success, and is doing everything they can to build their ligne maginot to halt all potential cross-overs into the dark side of MMA, let alone their attraction-vedette. What would you expect from the French, really. From his interviews you could easily tell how brainwashed and ignorant Teddy is when it comes to MMA.

They've got a point though, MMA is a fringe sport with no talent. However, the best way to prove it would be to send their biggest stars over and crush MMA champions ala Ronda, show how much of a joke the sport is, but they're French and you know they're always going to pick the coward way first.

So bsically that guy doesn't know shit about MMA, and therefore hates it? He sounds like one of those ignorant people who simply haven't a clue what MMA is, and think it's human cockfighting.

It's 100% political, French Judo federation is one of the most powerful sports federation in France and the 2d best nation in Judo only to Japan.

They have feared for years , almost since the UFC debuts, that grappling/BJJ would take over and make them lose tons of practionners and thus tons of power and money/subventions from the government..

They have been doing their maximum to make sure that MMA is still seen as human cockfighting for 20 years now, and this is nothing new it was this way way before Jean Luc Roug

Last edited:
He is not a sub machine like Ronda, his judo is more focused on throws which are useful but not a sure winner in MMA. He would be very good though

Pointless speculation. The French Judo Federation are a bunch of bitches that feel threatened by MMA and its success, and is doing everything they can to build their ligne maginot to halt all potential cross-overs into the dark side of MMA, let alone their attraction-vedette. What would you expect from the French, really. From his interviews you could easily tell how brainwashed and ignorant Teddy is when it comes to MMA.

They've got a point though, MMA is a fringe sport with no talent.[/QUOTE

Well have you ever heard of BUDO, the philosophy of Judo ? Ishii was banned for life from the Japanese Judo Federation after leaving to MMA, firstly because in a country where interactions and things are very codified, respect, honor, and loyalty are very important.

Maybe you're the brainwashed ignorant that does not realize MMA spirit is not compatible with Judo. And it's not a question of being French or not. Why don't you stop being the typical redneck american french basher and start making sense.

From a French with love

It's 100% political, French Judo federation is one of the most powerful sports federation in France and the 2d best nation in Judo only to Japan.

They have feared for years , almost since the UFC debuts, that grappling/BJJ would take over and make them lose tons of practionners and thus tons of power and money/subventions from the government..

They have been doing their maximum to make sure that MMA is still seen as human cockfighting for 20 years now, and this is nothing new it was this way way before Jean Luc Roug

Same for me, they were at Racing and then Levallois. But it was some time ago, it's very possible that he gained weight with age. Crazy to think that he's the same age as me though.

Man i could not believe it... I've been a fan of the game since 2001, almost 15 years of awaiting, rewarded.

Anyway i think Riner is too much of a nice guy to ever consider fighting inside the octagon. At the same time did he not express the feeling to give it a try after the olympics ? we can never be sure.. But UFC can be risky, while staying in JUDO would assure him "decent" income for the future

LOL my friend went the exact same route, Racing then Levallois..

Yes he did years ago prior 2008 I think or between his 2008 bronze medal and the 2012 one..I'm not sure..

I think he was briefed back then after saying he would like to give it a try because he completely changed his stance on MMA shortly after and
I think the FFJ brass almost fainted hearing their biggest prospect/superstar saying that.. It would be the worst thing possible for them that their SHW champ crossed over and had a succesful MMA career as it would introduced MMA to the masses in France through Riner and legalization would probably follow pretty fast..
Also the FFJ and/or IJF probably wouldn't want the public to see their ultimate champ get destroyed either, if it was to happen...

But it' almost impossible nowadays as he is making shitloads of money with judo and sponsoring, and he seems eager to embracer a political career , following Douillet's footsteps, so you can be pretty sure he will follow the general line aka MMA is human cockfighting / gladiators level fighting..
Unless they threw millions at him I can't see that MMA career happening which is a shame as I would certainly have loved to see him compete...

Back