Would prime Hughes be champ today?

pThree

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
How do you think he matches up against Usman, Colby, Burns etc.?

Matt did beat the likes of GSP, Penn, Sherk, Newton, Gracie and was considered the premier welterweight of the pre-GSP era.

With the skillset he then possessed, no.
He once throw a high kick, I think against Matt Serra, which prompted Goldberg to say "Hughes is always evolving". After one high kick lol.
With the skillset current fighters have, he would be among the top WWs I believe, the guy was freakishly strong and had the natural attributes to be at the top.

With the skillset he then possessed, no.
He once throw a high kick, I think against Matt Serra, which prompted Goldberg to say "Hughes is always evolving". After one high kick lol.
With the skillset current fighters have, he would be among the top WWs I believe, the guy was freakishly strong and had the natural attributes to be at the top.
<Goldie11>

He'd do well but nah. GSP set a standard at welter.

No, but he'd have to hope for Burns to be champ. He'd have a hard time against Marty. Then again, never underestimate the power of a country breakfast.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe top 10 but would get dominated by the elite. Would have been cool to see Hughes vs Maia.

Hughes better get off those train tracks because Colby would smashed through him!

He'd be top 10 imo - Usman, Burns, Colby, Wonderboy, Leon and Woodley beat him but I think he can hang with everyone else.

It is wrong to say that he wouldn't be a highly skilled fighter even today, just because he was a flawed fighter. He was an elite wrestler and grappler, just because his striking was bad it wouldn't mean he couldn't be a top fighter. You kinda just have to be elite level in 2 out of 3 aspects of martial arts to be succesfull. Just look at Gaethje, his grappling absolute sucks but he was almost the champ.

But my prediction is that Usman's wrestling would be enough to keep it standing and win on the feet. But you never know really.

How do you think he matches up against Usman, Colby, Burns etc.?

Matt did beat the likes of GSP, Penn, Sherk, Newton, Gracie and was considered the premier welterweight of the pre-GSP era.
No, probably not even top 5.

He'd be top 10 imo - Usman, Burns, Colby, Wonderboy, Leon and Woodley beat him but I think he can hang with everyone else.
Top 10?
<36>
Just look at Gaethje, his grappling absolute sucks but he was almost the champ.
Oh lord, I'm assuming you've been a fan of the sport for 2 decades and still don't know what is happening in front of you??!!!!
<{hughesimpress}>
I thought sherdog was where the hardcore goes... I guess it's just a haven for the casual fans....

Matt Hughes was one of the most strongest/powerful WW ever. His slam against carlos newton was insane picking him up like a candy from the bottom and that anaconda choke against almeida asks huge grip power force.
I actually think prime Hughes gives alot of problems to the current champ the only advantage i have for Usman is his standup skills are better than Matt's.

Way too one dimensional and fighters have improved their wrestling defence.

Top 10?
<36>

Oh lord, I'm assuming you've been a fan of the sport for 2 decades and still don't know what is happening in front of you??!!!!
<{hughesimpress}>
I thought sherdog was where the hardcore goes... I guess it's just a haven for the casual fans....
Was kinda a hyperbole, but he is somewhere at the top right now and Khabib is retired. So I would say he is very near being a champ. But way to just ignore my point and nitpick instead.

Back