Would prime Hendricks be champ today?

pThree

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hendricks was obviously a better striker than Usman but was also thoroughly outwrestled and outclinched by Rick Story and Josh Koscheck.

Tough fight for both, but I give Hendricks the edge. Johny does lose to Colby and Wonderboy though.

Prime Hendricks was the real deal. That left hand was no joke and I don't see anybody holding him down for five rounds.

Hendricks vs. Usman would be nuts.

I think Colby would give Hendricks the most trouble outside of WB though.

Yes. I've said for a while now that prime Hendricks would have been a nightmare matchup for Usman. Better striking, good enough wrestling to not get laid on for five rounds, and the cardio to keep up with Usman's pace.
I give Usman a significant edge in the clinch and cardio but getting the fight to where he wants would be problematic.

He struggled with Kos but his hands were pretty elite in the GSP and first Lawler fight.

I’d pick him to win the first 2 rounds comfortably but without his ability to wrestle when things get tough like he did against Lawler the first time I think Usman takes the last 2 comfortably with his jab, ability to adapt and clinch work. It would come down to who won the 3rd.

I’d favour Hendricks though the guy had such underrated boxing

By prime I assume you mean juiced. If so, then yes, until he failed a test at least.

Sorry, this guy is on steroids:
usatsi_7560759.jpg

But this guy isn't?
1128485704.jpg.jpg

1302048407.0.jpg
A guy who was on steroids
R6cb11cea523e8f19ad6b3eefae38432e

A guy who is clean
2uYU2x_0Op2RpXb00.jpg

He certainly has a chance. Either he catches Usman early or gets outwrestled down the stretch.

Hendricks was obviously a better striker than Usman but was also thoroughly outwrestled and outclinched by Rick Story and Josh Koscheck.

Tough fight for both, but I give Hendricks the edge. Johny does lose to Colby and Wonderboy though.
Sure.

In competitive Eating, he'd be ranked in the Top 5 :
Eating.jpg

johny-eating.jpg

I don't think Hendricks' striking (other than the KO power in his overhand) is that much better than Usman's.

This vaunted "Prime Hendricks" only exists in highlight reels that don't show his many close and/or controversial moments during his run to the top. Current Usman is a safe pick against any version of Hendricks.

Back