Would MMA promotions let champions fight for another org’s belt?

They could make a belt just for the occaision rather than have to work out title defense deals.

The thing is though...this would eventually turn into a seperate body and eventually turn the sport into boxing,which i think is goin to happen anyway tbh[/QUOTE
I could see them creating a new division that is cross promotional

This is how it's done.

100_Coker_Horiguchi_Sakikabara.0.jpg

Rizin > UFC
Bellator > UFC

Historically speakin´, it all started when Vitor Gracie went to battle SAKU G. in Japan: UFC then decided to include hardcore clauses in the contracts, to prevent further humiliations...

It iz what it iz.

Having to defend multiple belts is crazy. Look at Horiguchi having both B-tor and Rizin belts before the injury. Would have been a logistical nightmare and held up divisions even worse than they are now.

I could see them creating a new division that is cross promotional
This is the best solution if UFC wasn't max greed.

It would be cool to see someone hold a weight class’s Bellator and UFC belt at the same time

This is just my initial reflex upon reading without checking responses:

I think Bellator probably would be favorably inclined but UFC would not (I assume that’s basically what you’re asking about).

Money is gonna be part of it, especially when setting a precedent, but the bigger issue is prestige. Bellator has much more to gain and not much to lose there.

If Pitbull had fought Volk or Poirier this weekend and lost a decision or even been stopped, it doesn’t move the needle much unless he gets completely clowned all over the octagon. Right now they have the unknown….maybe many of their guys are just as good, and they’d lose that if the foregoing happened. But if he’s at all competitive people think what they are think now, which is that Pitbull would probably be a contender at FW and borderline ranked at LW. Nothing lost.

Meanwhile, just by allowing it the UFC is acknowledging that it’s an open and interesting question what would happen and they make Bellator look a little more like a peer (I was surprised Chandler was made backup to a title fight for that reason). If it’s competitive and closely fought even worse. And then there’s the doomsday scenario — Volk gets McKee’d just like Pitbull just did and it’s established decisiveness that Bellator has the best guy in at least one division. Seems like way too much to risk for not much reward.

Would be interesting to see, pretty exciting, very hard to organize, specially with the position differential between the UFC and the others
There is also the question of logistics and profit sharing

They could make a belt just for the occaision rather than have to work out title defense deals.

The thing is though...this would eventually turn into a seperate body and eventually turn the sport into boxing,which i think is goin to happen anyway tbh
yea, more belts would definitely get complicated if you have a Bellator BW belt, but that champ lost to the Rizin champ, so there's another belt that the RIzin champ has. Might get messy, and it downgrades the actual belts potentially ...
<Fedor23>

Obviously it’s not going to happen with the ufc……it’s not realistic to expect it.

Boxing has only had 5 undisputed champions since the 4 belt era started (2004).

Historically speakin´, it all started when Vitor Gracie went to battle SAKU G. in Japan: UFC then decided to include hardcore clauses in the contracts, to prevent further humiliations...

It iz what it iz.

Not further humiliations, but further fight fixing.

Unless you still believe no known weaknesses Vitor was a butt scooter against a Japanese pseudo pro wrestler.

Man, I wish we could see that guy fight in the UFC. Wonder how he would do.

Yeah, he might only lose to the GOAT and decide to go to a better organization after finishing his contract so he has more freedom in his career. Lots of possibilities...

Having MMA promotions competing on a market will only be bad for the sport.

As long as evey fighter won't be under an umbrella this will always be bush league entertainment, and never a legit sport.

Back