Would MMA promotions let champions fight for another org’s belt?

The Chosen

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It would be cool to see someone hold a weight class’s Bellator and UFC belt at the same time

Why would the premiere outfit in mma ever give recognition in that way to another org. The UFC only just started introducing fighters as an ex-Bellator champion (Chandler). They aren’t about to co-promote.

And wouldn’t it look horrible if a minor leaguer actually beat a UFC champion?

giphy.gif

Scott Coker has done it a few times.

It will never happen with UFC though, all UFC fighters are on exclusive contracts for the last 10 years or so and the UFC has champions clauses that prevent a reigning champ from leaving even after their contract is up iirc.

It's a lot of money,
ego and prestige,
to let this happen !

Why would the premiere outfit in mma ever give recognition in that way to another org. The UFC only just started introducing fighters as an ex-Bellator champion (Chandler). They aren’t about to co-promote.

And wouldn’t it look horrible if a minor leaguer actually beat a UFC champion?

giphy.gif

I think it’s time to put to rest the term “minor leagues” when it comes to promotions like Bellator and ONEFC.

I think it’s time to put to rest the term “minor leagues” when it comes to promotions like Bellator and ONEFC.
I don’t. Until their fighters come to the UFC instead of the other way around at the ends of their careers. Then those orgs remain the minor leagues, imo.

No it is definitley NOT time for that yet. Just cos Bellator and ONEFC take fighters once UFC is done with them,does not make them real competitors.

This ain’t boxing bruh orgs in MMA keep say more to themselves.

No, no organisation can even make a cross over fight with ufc, let alone do championship fight for their belt.

This ain’t boxing bruh orgs in MMA keep say more to themselves.
It will eventually go that way I think. It becomes more like boxing each and every day.

IF the UFC will send Conor to do a boxing fight,anything is possible. But there is nothing happening right now that is gonna make that a reality.

No it is definitley NOT time for that yet. Just cos Bellator and ONEFC take fighters once UFC is done with them,does not make them real competitors.
To be fair, Bellator and ONE have been good at developing their own, especially Bellator. Just in FW, Borics, Jay Jay Wilson, AJ, Pitbull, Lucas Brennan, Khasan Magomedsharipov

To be fair, Bellator and ONE have been good at developing their own, especially Bellator. Just in FW, Borics, Jay Jay Wilson, AJ, Pitbull, Lucas Brennan, Khasan Magomedsharipov
Im not saying they havent done that too,but its not enough that i'd say they were a major competition to UFC. Much as id like to see some of those give it a shot.

Bellator and Rizin did it with Caldwell and Horiguchi a few years ago. They fought in Rizin for the Rizin belt, then Horiguchi came and fought for the Bellator belt and won it. The deal was he needed to defend the Bellator belt once a year. He then got injured and vacated the Bellator belt.

The whole thing was pretty fun to be honest, but ended badly.

It's not a great idea overall, as it would almost certainly stall out the division if a fighter in another org wins the belt.

Bellator and Rizin did it with Caldwell and Horiguchi a few years ago. They fought in Rizin for the Rizin belt, then Horiguchi came and fought for the Bellator belt and won it. The deal was he needed to defend the Bellator belt once a year. He then got injured and vacated the Bellator belt.

The whole thing was pretty fun to be honest, but ended badly.

It's not a great idea overall, as it would almost certainly stall out the division if a fighter in another org wins the belt.
They could make a belt just for the occaision rather than have to work out title defense deals.

The thing is though...this would eventually turn into a seperate body and eventually turn the sport into boxing,which i think is goin to happen anyway tbh

Im not saying they havent done that too,but its not enough that i'd say they were a major competition to UFC. Much as id like to see some of those give it a shot.
Oh no, at the current place, no where close to competition to the UFC. Getting some 5-15 ranked fighters or even a handful off top 5 would do it, but we know how stingy the UFC is about letting anyone ranked go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back