Would Khabib have gotten very famous if he didn't fight Conor?

Here is my another question: Why did Amanda Nunes does not has the superstardom that Ronda once had. Why does Nunes unable to steal Ronda's shines?
Because Amanda nunes isn't a star.

Here's another uncomfortable truth. Nunes is a lesbian and most of the world will not relate to that nor want to promote that. I personally don't disagree with her sexual preference. Its hers to make, but if you want her to be a global star, its not happening.

Dustin beat conor, he didn't became a star. They don't; have charisma. It really has nothing to do with trash talking. Westerners do love that shit, but Jones was more or less the good going christian character earlier on and he was a star before the facade got exposed. I think Khabib's dominance along with his interesting background sell. If Khabib was from Nevada, I think the appeal comes down a lot.

Well when Mayweather was 29-0, he had just won the second fight against Jose Luis Castillo. If he had stopped at that point, he wouldn't have been very famous.
29-0 is more common in boxing than in MMA

His PPV number post Conor nosedived and weren’t ever anything special.

Gaethje - Furg an interim fight did better than Gaethje - Khabib, that should tell you.

Ep_x6g_XAAAjdOz

Basically the title, does Khabib actually have Conor to thank for his fame, which he is now using to the benefit of combat athletes in Dagestan?

Remember there was no reason for Conor to come back after the Mayweather fight as he was financially set.
If Khabib did not fight Conor - and Conor did not say the things he said with regards to Khabib's religion - Khabib would not be nearly as famous as now. Not even close. He would be as famous as Usman is now.

Answering your question: yes, he has Conor to thank for it.

And yet he was willing to resort to violence and one of Ali's ploys go get a fight with Conor which means he must have wanted something there...
No, i don't think so. They are just another culture. If you talk shit, you are going to get it. Simple as that.
If you respect them, nothing bad will happen.
So why did the one not respected the Dagestan boys, did he wanted something? He knew they are going to come if one talks disrespectful

Conor is a guy who actually has wins at 170. Not scared to test himself in higher divisions. A guy that has fought in 3 separate weight classes. The Conor win definitely put Khabib on the map. Khabib might very well be the GOAT but we’ll never know because he lacks the drive to test himself against bigger opponents like a true martial artist.
Name 1 legit WW that Conor fought? You can’t say Cerrone or Nate either, no cut LW’s don’t count.

Khabib was a “boring humper” only hardcores cared about till Conor threw a trolly at a bus.

Name 1 legit WW that Conor fought? You can’t say Cerrone or Nate either, no cut LW’s don’t count.
Cerrone definitely has the size for welterweight especially considering he mainly keeps it standing. Fighting at your natural weight shows you’re willing to test yourself. Khabib is the perfect candidate to move up. He beat everyone there is at lightweight minis Oliveira, Ferguson & now. Chandler. Khabib is arguably the best grappler in MMA who kills himself to make 155. All around the perfect guy to move up & test himself to really create that legacy & he has shown no interest other than talk of GSP

Anyone that believes that Conor didn’t help Khabibs career tremendously is delusional. Obviously Khabib was already known with the hardcore MMA audience. The casuals had no idea though and Conor put that spotlight on him.

The moment the eagle flew out of the cage that night against Conor, a global star was born.

His PPV number post Conor nosedived and weren’t ever anything special.

Gaethje - Furg an interim fight did better than Gaethje - Khabib, that should tell you.

Ep_x6g_XAAAjdOz

Those Khabib ppvs were in the early morning/afternoon timeslots in the US so the Russians and Muslim countries could watch him on tv. The comparison doesn't work.

Conor is a guy who actually has wins at 170. Not scared to test himself in higher divisions. A guy that has fought in 3 separate weight classes. The Conor win definitely put Khabib on the map. Khabib might very well be the GOAT but we’ll never know because he lacks the drive to test himself against bigger opponents like a true martial artist.
Lol. What are his wins at 170, blown up lightweight fighters? Fuck out of here with that bullshit.

Conor gave him the push. Being dominant kept casuals interested.

Those Khabib ppvs were in the early morning/afternoon timeslots in the US so the Russians and Muslim countries could watch him on tv. The comparison doesn't work.

Didn’t all the Abu Dhabi cards start early?

Also they predicted it would be the biggest of the year and it fell well short. They didn’t say prior “the start time will make it the 5th biggest”. That’s just the excuse of fans. They said it sold shatter record in belief that Khabib was bigger than they thought. I never seen one of Danas buyrate prediction that low. “It will do over 1.3 million and be the biggest of the year” “just kidding did half that”.

Last edited:
Lol. What are his wins at 170, blown up lightweight fighters? Fuck out of here with that bullshit.
Khabib refusing to challenge anyone at 170 is hurting his legacy. He’s the only one in the GOAT conversation that has refused to move up for a fight. The undefeated dominant grappler who kills himself making 155 won’t challenge anyone at 170? Tibua probably has something to do with that

conor really did change his life for the better,

he was well known already, conor just fought mayweather

he was at the peak of his popularity, a household name in most countries.

khabib capitalized on conors fame without a doubt.

and not so much as a thankyou

The Dagestanis takes their honor and pride very seriously. Seriously if let say Colby ran off his mouth saying bad things about Khabib, the Russians will probably looking after for him.

I think Khabib took Artem that seriously.

To me Ali is Ali, he has a little 'Ariel Helwani' in him, and also the fact that - any manager would be dumb to turn down the fight against Conor.

In the end I think this is just Russian doing Russian-Dagestani thing. Ali just happened to catch a golden fish in the right moment.

Fighters like Khabib, Khamzat and Zabit Magomedsharipov will always shine regardless (especially if they keep on winning). I think Khabib will always ended up to be Russian biggest star/celebrity anyway. He's that big among most Russian speaking countries (approx 400 millions population who are enthusiastic about wrestling and sambo: Russia, Ukraine, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyrzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan) even before Conor.

umm colby has trashed khabib up and down.

khabib stays in his lane when it comes to welterweights.

Khabib refusing to challenge anyone at 170 is hurting his legacy. He’s the only one in the GOAT conversation that has refused to move up for a fight. The undefeated dominant grappler who kills himself making 155 won’t challenge anyone at 170? Tibua probably has something to do with that
He's fought at 170 before and while it might not have been against named opponents they were indeed natural WW's. Him not moving up will not affect his legacy whatsoever. The sooner you accept that the better off you'll be. Maybe.

Is this what 'winning the war' looks like for Conor fans? Asking questions like this LOL.

Back