1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Would Jon Jones beat Junior Dos Santos?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Andrei Orlovski, Jan 3, 2015.

1. thelegend2 Purple Belt

this question has been put out there on sherdog multiple times. each time after jones recent vitories, after the gus fight everyone cried jds by ko; after sonnen, people said jones by whatever. here what ive always maintained:

JDS has a problem with his cage awareness. maybe its because of all the training he does in the ring i dont know, but he gets his back put up against the cage a lot-correction, he puts his own back against the cage.

jones when he backs up puts his hands out and seems to get lost in space trying to avoid damage but leaving his chin exposed and his eyes off the opponent.

jones has seemed to improve this problem, JDS has not.

jones can win that fight by clinching and wearing down JDS in the clinch. if he stands outside with jds he will likely get hurt, even finished.

jones could beat the jds we have now.

2. shedd45 Brown Belt

Jones would win easily. I don't like jones but, I like JDS. I'm just a realist.

3. Ibm Brown Belt

No, JDS is just too strong with overwealming power.

4. TonyMack510 White Belt

Jon Jones would absolutely Destroy Jds...

Jones already fought and beat a MUCH better Boxer fighter in Gus in a close fight.

Gus has much better hand speed and the superior boxer, much better combinations, much better footwork and much better cardio, much better Takedown Defense and overall more well rounded ability then Jds. Plus Gus has one Hell of a chin and durability, he's also younger then Jds.

Jds is very flat footed and has big time holes in his greco clinch, he also has a tendancy to drop his hands and he has trouble circling the cage to avoid, Jds has heavy hands and is a good boxer with Good Takedown defense and good at getting back up to his feet but he has poor greco defense, Stipe and Cain were able to control him against the fence, with that said this leads me to believe Jds has trouble with high level D1 wrestlers, Olympians, High MMA wrestlers.

Jones would be able to hit Jds a lot easier then Gus due to Jds lack of footwork, head movement and speed. Jones would break Jds down with a high volume of well placed strikes at a fast rate then control Jds against the fence implying some nasty Greco with elbows and arm cranks, Jones would destroy Jds knees too taking away his mobility and hips, Jds will try to throw power punches but Jones will avoid them, I see Jones beating Jds in the 5th round via submission or decision.

5. God_Emperor_Of_Mankind Let's Palaver! Platinum Member

Probably smothers him,cliches him.

This is the HW VERSION OF JONES remember that.
    People just seem to forget that.

6. God_Emperor_Of_Mankind Let's Palaver! Platinum Member

Oh god.

7. Loriquero Green Belt

Well, Junior is like Gustafsson but stronger, and considering dat razor close decision Jones had against Alex, I would say no..

8. Omni** Brown Belt

If he gets passed the first 7 minutes of KO power, then yes. JDS has horrible fight IQ

9. Iron-Fists Purple Belt

Jones would annihilate JDS with his arsenal.

Emphasis on the word "annihilate" also.

It wouldn't even be close.

10. Reaperman Brown Belt

JDS pre-Cain would be a handful for Jones. JDS looked really slow last fight, and if that's how he fights from now on, Jones would probably win....

11. insomniatric I hate my username.

Gus gave Jones problems because he is a good boxer, gave up no size, had a good chin and good movement, and could stifle Jones's wrestling. JDS is all of that with vastly more power and sharper counters, he's a nightmare matchup for Jones. Jones simply is not a good boxer and when he fights one who can stuff his TDs, he'll have problems. Even DC landed on Jones many times. Jones has shown a good chin but JDS's power is on another level than the guys Jon fights.

If Jon made it out of the first round, I'd be impressed.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  12. Nova Union Green Belt

Junior would destroy Jones lol

13. fortheo Titanium Belt

JDS has looked shitty recently if you ask me. I'd pick jones at this point. 2-3 years ago though....I may favor JDS