Would Joanna beat Rousey if they were same weight and same size?

Added to this is Rousey's no-gi application. Her no-gi judo is the best in mma history. Learning to throw without the gi after years of training gi is difficult but Ronda seems to have little trouble hitting the head and arm tie up and tossing bitches left and right.

We pretending Karo, Fedor, and Aoki don't exist now?

Getting close to clinch with a muay thai champ who has a great jab and great control of distance and finishing power is not the same as closing the distance noob fighters and moms.

Claudia Gadhela clinched with JJ no problems and got takedowns, Esparza got takedowns, Penne clinched no problems. The difference is Ronda's clinch is devastating.

Fedor was the only one who is on Ronda's no-gi level. When have we seen Karo or Aoki reverse takedowns with uchimata? When have they chained throws when the first throw got defended? How is Karo's newaza?

Fedor was the only one who is on Ronda's no-gi level. When have we seen Karo or Aoki reverse takedowns with uchimata? When have they chained throws when the first throw got defended? How is Karo's newaza?

Aoki chains ko uchi gari off of takedown attempts and reverses takedowns with okuri ashi harai often, does that count?

Judo's not just uchimata.

If JJ could walk around at 135, she'd wreck Ronda so badly, she'd go back to Judo.

If fucking Tate can get to a third round then Joanna with 20 more pounds behind her strikes would beat Ronda to a pulp.

More importantly, who would win between The Hulk and Hulk Hogan in a pro wrestling match?

Lol at the ultra biased striker lovers.

I think Joanna would tool her on the feet and her takedown defense has proven to be stellar. Still don't know if she could stop that takedown though. What say you sherdog?

I love JJ, while I only like Ronda ... JJ would not be able to stop Ronda's judo. It was one thing to stop Penne's throws because while Penne has high level BJJ, she only has "decent" Judo throws, and is not a legit Judoka.

So, the only way I see JJ beating Ronda (at the same weight) is if they agree to a stand up only fight .. which I doubt would ever happen.

Are we pretending that any of the three fighters you mentioned have applied their Judo to MMA with the same efficacy as Ronda?

Claudia Gadhela clinched with JJ no problems and got takedowns, Esparza got takedowns, Penne clinched no problems. The difference is Ronda's clinch is devastating.

Carla got one TD and only kept JJ there for literally seconds. Penne got her face smashed open from the clinch.

Lets not forget that JJ is also dangerous in the clinch, specifically with her hellbows, and she does the most damage at close range.

The greatest strengths of MT fighters are their ability to kick and clinch fighting.

In what world are those advantages against a world class Judoka?

JJ didn't kick the entire fight against Esparza due to fear of the take down. And JJ would have to be a complete idiot to try to clinch with Rousey as take downs from the clinch position are the bread and butter of Judo.

MT fighters are renowned for a lot of things... maintaining distance and circling isn't one of them.

Now if JJ was a world class Boxer, you might have an argument. Muay thai? That plays right into Rousey's world.

Umm, have you seen JJ fight? :eek:

She is pro at maintaining distance, and lets not forget that she was trained under Ernesto Hoost, and her MT style uses a lot more traditional boxing. JJ is not the typical MT fighter, her hands are infinitely better than the average MT fighter who relies more heavily on kicks.

Her entire fight against Carla was BOXING and TDD .. that said, I already posted that I do not believe JJ could handle Ronda's Elite Judo at any weight.

I feel Rousey, JJ, and Gadelha are the best three women's fighters P4P in the UFC. Miesha Tate or one of the better strawweights are probably a distant #4.

If Rousey and JJ can stay dominant then maybe we'll actually see the fight. It'd be an interesting new contender for Rousey, and it would be a payday for JJ in a low pressure no-lose fight where she's expected to lose and would keep her belt even if she did.

Stylistically, I'm not sure how they'd match up, because we haven't seen Ronda against a striker like her. None of Ronda's opponents have looked to maintain distance and oustrike Ronda technically. If she fights Holly Holm then that'll no longer be the case. JJ has takedown defense too, but we haven't seen her defend specifically against a judoka (especially one of Rousey's calibre). I'd have to pick Rousey because she has power as well as the takedown threat and ground skills.

I feel Rousey, JJ, and Gadelha are the best three women's fighters P4P in the UFC. Miesha Tate or one of the better strawweights are probably a distant #4.

Gadelha is largely reliant on size and strength and walks around at practically the same weight as Tate who fights TWO weight classes higher and is an undersized BW winning on pure skill and heart. Gadelha also tires out from cutting too much weight.

Naaaaah at Gadelha being better than Neo aka Tate. Gadelha is the female Barao to Tate's 155 Frankie. Major nah.

Last edited:
Are we pretending that any of the three fighters you mentioned have applied their Judo to MMA with the same efficacy as Ronda?

Already mentioned what Aoki does.

Aoki chains ko uchi gari off of takedown attempts and reverses takedowns with okuri ashi harai often, does that count?

Judo's not just uchimata.

Fedor's takedown game was largely the same way, he'd throw a casting punch to get into clinch range, and then get takedowns off the inside/outside trip. And against much better grapplers than Ronda's faced at that.

Like I said, Judo is more than hip throws.

EDIT: Jacare is another fighter who's used his Judo to great effect in MMA.

JJ has the tools to beat RR, but that's much easier said than done. She would have to avoid the clinch. Which is not something she is used to doing. I think a serious contender needs to stick and move, keep their distance and drag RR into the later rounds. We've never seen her past the 2nd (iirc?). If a fighter could keep RR from hitting her trips and throws they have a much better chance at implementing their game plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back