Would GSP have fought Whittaker if he never got colitis?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by TheSpider, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Ham Socks Professional Fighter

Anderson ducked jones multiple times too.

You should make a thread about that also.

2. Calipwnia Black Belt

So if GSP can strike with Whittaker, why didn’t he? Colitis is under control and he can be any weight he wants and healthy. Colitis doesn’t effect your striking ability unless you have a flare up.

3. Calipwnia Black Belt

By the time, Jones defended a title GSP and Anderson were years into their title reigns and there had been talk about making it happen for years with GSP teasing but never committing.

TheSpider likes this.
  4. Shaddows Steel Belt

IMHO it is obvious that he would not.
    Check all interviews before and after the fight.
    he NEVER said he would do it. Moreover, when someone mentioned the subject, he would not answer or leave an open answer. He never committed to that fight.
    That was as clear as day. After it happened (and he run), I was not surprised at all.

TheSpider likes this.
  5. Intellidamus Title Belt

Have no clue. Neither do you.
    You sure like talking about GSP.

6. ninjion Beltless

I agree with everything you said but I don't get what your point is. I don't think anyone thinks Bisping beats prime Anderson lmfao. I was saying Gastelum's win wasn't better than GSP's because Kelvin benefited from 'Ping fighting too soon after getting beat.

7. r-harper-1 Silver Belt

Cleanly not ..... but unlike other GSP bashers .... I don’t blame GSP

8. TheSpider Brown Belt

We all know why and you do as well.

9. dc007 mr. white belt

Probably not. He never really wanted to defend the title. He just wanted a legacy fight same as he wants with Khabib.

10. JoshR86 Black Belt

Yup, I'm a GSP fan, and he was very clear he was only interested in legacy/money fights, that he was done with being champion.

That being said, I do believe he got colitis.

11. AnotherOldGuy Brown Belt

A few problems with that. One is that Anderson's own coaches admit that GSP wanted to fight Anderson at 170 (Google if you doubt it), but they didn't want the fight at any weight but 185. Which means that GSP 'ducked' Anderson at 185, and Anderson 'ducked' GSP at 170. Anderson mentioned a catch weight once, but then stuck to 185, because a catch-weight means losing most casual viewers, who want a title fight.

A second problem is that if you can duck someone not in your weight division, then not only did GSP duck Anderson, but he ducked every other MW, LHW, and HW who wanted to fight him (and a lot of them would have loved the money that came with fighting GSP). In that case GSP probably ducked 30 or 40 guys. That's fine, but since a lot of LHW's and HW's would have loved the money they'd get from fighting Anderson, it means Anderson ducked 20 or so guys as well. Using 'duck' to mean not taking fights from people not in your weight division makes the word fairly meaningless -- it basically translates to meaning "not a HW".

Finally, taking Dana as a source for anything is pretty crazy. This is the guy that said the UFC was bigger than soccer, who said GSP was the most popular Canadian athlete (Gretzky and a lot of other hockey players say hello), who said women would never fight in the UFC -- and actually so many other lies that if he said it was a sunny day I'd go outside and check before I believed him.

What makes the most sense is what the fighters and their teams themself said -- GSP wanted to fight Anderson at 170, Anderson wanted to fight GSP at 185. Both could make both weights (Anderson had fought at 170 in the past, GSP fought at 185 later on), and if either changed weight it would give the other an advantage, so they needed extra money to change weight, which the UFC was too cheap to provide. And neither GSP nor Anderson was stupid enough to give away a free advantage (no one with any business sense gives the competition a free advantage), so the fight never happened.

People who blame GSP or Anderson for the fight not happening don't understand how business contracts normally work -- it was up to the UFC to guarantee extra money to one or the other to change weight. And of course Dana is not going to admit the UFC's greed kept the fight from happening, so as always he's going to blame the fighters for doing what any good business person would do -- hold out for extra to take a disadvantage. That's simply Commerce 101.

12. KID Yamamoto PREMIUM DYNAMITE

Honestly I do think he would have but he would have lost.

13. Shaddows Steel Belt

Sorry, I like your overall post, but I always had an issue with this line of defense.
    - you can't duck someone not in your weight division.
    Yes, you can. Silva & GSP fight has been mentioned for multiple years as the fight to make.
    Please note that this was VERY unique. 2 dominant fighters who ruled over all competition for years and were in neighboring divisions. So this is not a Joe Shmoe fighting another nobody from a different division.

- In that case GSP probably ducked 30 or 40 guys
    No other fight was being pushed for GSP outside his weight class like that. So to claim it can't be ducking or that he would be ducking 40 other guys that, while they would accept a fight against GSP, no one pushed to see those fights!
    Again, there was ONE fight that EVERYONE wanted to see. From fans to the Media, to everyone else.
    Heck, I recall when Pacquiao lost, I recall one of the Fertitas twitted that they had to take cue from Boxing and do this fight before GSP or Silva lost! So again, this generalization is just a dumb way out.

I also have a pretty hard time accepting this:
    - Anderson had fought at 170 in the past
    Let me start by prefacing this: I have no issues with them fighting at catchweight.
    HOWEVER: it is invariably the smaller fighter who moves up. So much so, that everyone wanted GSP to move up and face Silva.
    Unfair? maybe. But it has ALWAYS been like this for a very good reason. GSP is not a natural 170 LBs fighter (in the sense like Frankie didn't cut any weight to make LW while he was the champion).
    And looking for the effects of such cuts: GSP would be much fresher if he did not cut much weight to make 185Lbs. SIlva would make his normal cut.
    As opposed to: GSP cutting his normal amount, and Silva completely depleting himself to make 170Lbs.

So for all of the above, I think that: GSP & Silva was the ONLY fight to make. GSP should have moved up to face him.
    But it is what it is, and this fight did not happen. But let us try to be honest and impartial here.
    Claiming generalizations like GSP would be ducking 40 other nobodies or that at some point Silva fought at 170Lbs are just dishonest type of defense that leads to nowhere.

I mean, Hell, Lesnar weighted 150 lbs at some point in his life!
    Should we book a LW bout for him???

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    AnotherOldGuy and TheSpider like this.
  14. Dbreiden83080 Andle My Riddum

He says he was sick at that time.. So that is why he didn't.. Why would he fight the man now? GSP is going to be 40..

15. StoneColdSteveAustin Green Belt

GSP is far better than Whittaker.

16. TankAbbott4Eva Gold Belt

Correct, great opportunity for him to win another belt, add to legacy etc

17. Calipwnia Black Belt

You aware that his coach and confident Firas Zahabi was pandering for a Conor McGregor or Floyd Mayweather fight 1 week after he vacated? So you think he was too sick to fight or be healthy enough in the future to fight Whittaker while his lifetime th ugh the would be healthy enough to have a money fight against a smaller opponent?

TheSpider likes this.
  18. ThunderStruck Geodor GemeSianenPo Yellow Card

No.

19. Dbreiden83080 Andle My Riddum

Firas has been living off GSP for 15 years.. I find him annoying AF..

I don't buy that GSP made up a sickness to avoid a fight. He has been dieting down to deal with this sickness for like 3 years.. GSP is all class. He is NOT Jones or Sonnen or one of the other shady dudes in the game.. I believe what he says..

20. ThunderStruck Geodor GemeSianenPo Yellow Card

I call bullshit.