Would GSP have fought Whittaker if he never got colitis?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by TheSpider, Sep 15, 2020.

1. TheSpider Brown Belt

Yes and you still haven’t given a source.

Did you read the link I posted where Dana confirmed that GSP cherry picked Bisping?

2. Aluminati Yellow Card (Sloppy Mod Work is sloppy)

Last one I can think of is Robbie Lawler, who had 10 before he won the WW title.

3. 20falarVerdades Silver Belt

Nope, GSP struggles to impose his game whenever he doesn't have a size advantage. Elite MWs like Silva, Rockhold, Yoel, Whittaker etc would've all feasted on him.

Mamou, GrayArea and TheSpider like this.
  4. ninjion Beltless

I do believe that he actually had/has colitis and I don't think he'd lie about being sick, but I suspect that it was bothering him before he even fought Bisping and he waited until after that fight to bring it up.

5. Franklin U. Gold Belt

It's amazing ( even if true) that sherdoggers dont understand the obvious nature of lip service.
    words are words .
    Then theres using that pen .

Mamou and TheSpider like this.
  6. TheSpider Brown Belt

GSP cherry picking Ping which log jammed the MW division is the reason Moose went to Bellator.

Mamou and Franklin U. like this.
  7. Pingu Purple Belt

dana also confirmed that the only reason gsp - silva happened is because of silvas performance against maia. Dana said that gsp was there to enter the ring. How is that dodging? if we trust dana that is.

8. Tapatio So hawt

Nah, he actually had duckitis

TheSpider likes this.
  9. Bork Neslar Brown Belt

No, because Whittaker is not yet an ancient MW with one eye and bad knees.

10. Franklin U. Gold Belt

Lol- you like getting me going. My tempature just rised a degree or 2 cause you're right- that along with the fact that ping declined to fight yoel and gegard .....and then they put a third fight on table - Souza ( who at that point was a winnable fight for ping but I would've still bet jacare) and made an outcry of a leg or arm injury so he couldn't accept that.

Weeks later ,he talks Dana into avenging one of the most infamous kos in mma history in fighting the #15 ranked 47 year old Henderson who was 2-6 before the Lombard fight .Hendo, arguably, beat him again.
    I still dont know how he got away with all that which - along with gsp- put the middleweight mustang division stuck on the side of the road----- AAA took its time in picking up the vehicle .

Mamou, GrayArea and TheSpider like this.
  11. cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are

It wasn't colitis. It was vaginosis.

TheSpider and Franklin U. like this.
  12. ninjion Beltless

Very disingenuous post. Gastelum fought Bisping only 3 weeks after GSP did. Everyone at the time knew that it was too soon for Mike to get back in the ring and that he was probably going to get knocked out. He took 41 shots to the head and got dropped (minor concussion) against GSP and then went on to face Kelvin 3 weeks later. No doctor should have sanctioned that fight so quickly after Bisping got finished.

Molo and Intellidamus like this.
  13. JohnCena White Belt

Hell no. Bisping was by far the worst MW champ ever. GSP knew that was his best chance at winning the belt.

Franklin U. likes this.
  14. Franklin U. Gold Belt

What about the second Henderson fight ?
    Close as hell and lucky fight isnt scored on damage .
    Prime Anderson puts ping in a coma.
    What ,lol, about the Leites fight ? The bjj practitioner walked down ping for 25 minutes in a split ?
    What about the closely contested 29-28 across the board decision vs CB freekn Dolloway????

These are are all relevant cause these are the fights that led to the injury call up agsinst Rockhold ( and the " title defense " against Dando)

Mamou and TheSpider like this.
  15. AnotherOldGuy Brown Belt

I'm more cynical, I think he choose Bisping not because of the belt, but because he thought it was easy money. For most professional athletes, in the end they'll choose money over titles (that's why free agents usually go to the team that pays them the most, not the team with the best chance of winning a championship). GSP has already had titles, another one wouldn't make much difference. But a last chance to make big money (retired athletes usually make little afterwards) is much harder to turn down.

Franklin U. and JohnCena like this.
  16. JohnCena White Belt

thats fair, it could be both though. Maybe he saw how Conor became double champ and wanted something similar to add to his legacy. He saw an opportunity against an easy opponent and capitalized. He made close to 2.5 mill against Bisping so your point makes a lot of sense as well.

Franklin U. and AnotherOldGuy like this.
  17. AnotherOldGuy Brown Belt

He ducked. But I'm convinced he planned on ducking right from the start (and lied about intending to defend). It explains his wanting to fight Khabib or Conor next -- he's after big paydays, not titles. That means his vice here was greed rather than fear -- he wanted a quick and relatively easy payday, and he didn't care if that meant lying about his intentions.

Fear would have meant he initially planned on defending, then changing his mind when he saw he'd be defending against Whitaker. But this seemed much more part of a "grab the money and run" plan from the start.

Cherry picking contracts to make big money isn't a problem, most of us would do that in our jobs if we had a chance. If I'm right about him lying about his intention to defend though, then that'd be very bad.

18. Intellidamus Title Belt

In all fairness he’s said for years that he’s only after big fights, not being an active defending champion.

AnotherOldGuy likes this.
  19. TheSpider Brown Belt

Then why did he sign a contract saying that he would fight Whittaker if he won?

20. Mamou Black Belt

RDA