Would GSP fight Tony if he beat Khabib? If so, who gets the W?

CasualMMAfanSince2010

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I think Khabib beats Tony, but say Tony beat Khabib. Would GSP be down to break Tony's 13 fight win streak? Do you think Tony is stylistically an easier or harder match up for GSP than Khabib?
I honestly don't know who wins this one, Tony is a savage. Tony is way more fun to watch and seems to have a deadlier arsenal than GSP. I can see GSP outpointing him, by timing take downs and jabbing but you guys saw what bisping did to a bloated GSP from the bottom. So tony could be dangerous everywhere. Interestingly their reach and height is very similar. Tony has better recovery but seems to get dropped easier.
My mouth is watering thinking about this match up.

giphy.gif

Probably not. I think it’s a khabib or bust situation

I think Khabib beats Tony, but say Tony beat Khabib. Would GSP be down to break Tony's 13 fight win streak? Do you think Tony is stylistically an easier or harder match up for GSP than Khabib?
I honestly don't know who wins this one, Tony is a savage. Tony is way more fun to watch and seems to have a deadlier arsenal than GSP. I can see GSP outpointing him, by timing take downs and jabbing but you guys saw what bisping did to a bloated GSP from the bottom. So tony could be dangerous everywhere. Interestingly their reach and height is very similar. Tony has better recovery but seems to get dropped easier.
My mouth is watering thinking about this match up.

giphy.gif

If Tony by some miracle Tony beats Khabib then he 100% beats old man GSP.

Khabib > 40 years old GSP.

Heck Khabib vs prime GSP would be a toss up.

Last edited:
If Tony by some miracle he beats Khabib then he beats old man GSP.

I think Khabib beats any version of GSP at 155 as well. I'm just throwing a hypothetical out there, because stylistically Tony seems to be a problem for GSP everywhere. I think Tony has better striking and has way better scrambling and bottom game than anyone GSP has ever faced. I don't think GSP could neutralize Tony like Khabib can. Tony is better than anyone GSP fought in his career. If Khabib beats Tony (90 percent sure he will), and racks up 1-2 more title defenses he will be in the GOAT discussion. However, if Khabib beats Tony and GSP. Hooly shit...

I don't think anyone would come out of retirement to fight Tony Ferguson, it's not the most enticing prospect, even if you win you're getting fucked up, the guy is a savage.

I don't think anyone would come out of retirement to fight Tony Ferguson, it's not the most enticing prospect, even if you win you're getting fucked up, the guy is a savage.
giphy.gif

GSP isn't cutting to 155 to get drowned by the boogeyman. I highly doubt Tony is going to want to go up to 170 before he defends

If Tony beats Khabib then he most certanly could beat GSP.

Nope. GSP only takes favorable matchups, he's not a risk taker like Anderson Silva

I think Khabib beats any version of GSP at 155 as well. I'm just throwing a hypothetical out there, because stylistically Tony seems to be a problem for GSP everywhere. I think Tony has better striking and has way better scrambling and bottom game than anyone GSP has ever faced. I don't think GSP could neutralize Tony like Khabib can. Tony is better than anyone GSP fought in his career. If Khabib beats Tony (90 percent sure he will), and racks up 1-2 more title defenses he will be in the GOAT discussion. However, if Khabib beats Tony and GSP. Hooly shit...
I have to disagree, i think Carlos Condit was definitely a better striker and his BJJ was really good as well.

GSP by decision in a fight where he gets visibly damaged.

GSP would never come back at this age to fight a small name who can not generate cash.

I have to disagree, i think Carlos Condit was definitely a better striker and his BJJ was really good as well.
I agree on a technical level. I forgot how amazing of a striker prime Condit was, but I still think Tony has more power p4p, and makes fights ugly. Technically Condit is better and he might have more volume. However, Tony slices people up and tends to do more damage overall., if you had to bet one fighter to make a fight a bloody mess, Tony will be that guy. His ability to make fights ugly is what opens up other ways to win - nasty subs, tkos etc..

GSP 50 - 45 Tony

didn’t Tony get grapplefucked by Danny Castillo?

GSP 50 - 45 Tony

didn’t Tony get grapplefucked by Danny Castillo?
That fight was Aug of 2014 so it's really not relevant. But Danny went 2/8 for takedowns. And Tony landed 2.5x as many strikes.

If Tony by some miracle beats Khabib then he beats old man GSP.

I strongly disagree. GSP in his prime was bigger, would easily be the best grappler Khabib has ever faced in MMA, and is a much better striker than Khabib. I won't say it would be an easy fight for GSP, but GSP would win that fight.

These days it's tougher to say who'd win. GSP is still bigger and has a ton of experience, but he's past his prime and Khabib is really just getting into his prime. I still think it'd be a tough fight for both. The longer GSP can keep Khabib away from him, the more his chances increase. GSP still has a long reach and good wrestling, so he could potentially keep Khabib away to avoid being tripped or thrown and force Khabib to shoot for TDs, which GSP could potentially defend.

These days it's a toss up fight. Prime GSP would take the W for sure.

No disrespect to Khabib because GSP was a WW and an all time great. Khabib is an all time great as well, but he's not a WW

Back