Would Dana let Palhares back in?

GoodStoppage

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Palhares' performance was nothing short of spectacular and impressive in his 170lb debut. Unfortunately, for him, he is now fired for holding the sub a couple seconds too long.

I agree with Dana's decision to cut him as this kind of behavior is unacceptable. I do however , think he should be eligible to eventually rejoin the promotion(UFC). Being "banned for life" is way overboard.

Perfect scenario for Palhares in my opinion- He joins a smaller promotion, gets a couple sub wins LETTING GO ON TIME proving he is capable.

I personally want him back in the UFC after a couple of wins. He is already remorseful and now he needs to prove he can sub and let go appropriately. I think/hope Dana will let him back in.

Thoughts?

Dana compared Palhares' incident to Paul Daley's on this video.

So... I honestly think Dana will never allow Palhares back in the UFC.

It might be one of those things where Dana doesn't want to go back on what he said. I would say give him another chance if he proves he can do the right thing. This offense wasn't really even that egregious compared to his past issues, despite what people seem to think. Had he let go even a fraction of a second sooner, no one could say anything. I'm happy with the cut based on the pattern of behavior but not a lifetime ban if he can show he has changed.

Palhares' performance was nothing short of spectacular and impressive in his 170lb debut. Unfortunately, for him, he is now fired for holding the sub a couple seconds too long.

I agree with Dana's decision to cut him as this kind of behavior is unacceptable. I do however , think he should be eligible to eventually rejoin the promotion(UFC). Being "banned for life" is way overboard.

Perfect scenario for Palhares in my opinion- He joins a smaller promotion, gets a couple sub wins LETTING GO ON TIME proving he is capable.

I personally want him back in the UFC after a couple of wins. He is already remorseful and now he needs to prove he can sub and let go appropriately. I think/hope Dana will let him back in.

Thoughts?

he wasn't "banned for life" he was just released from the UFC. couple of wins and maybe a win by leg lock which he releases when he should...... he might come back.

do i think it will happen? NO, but nothing is impossible.

Palhares will heel hook a gunmen and save Dana's life and still be without a job.

Don't see him coming back but hey WMMA made it & Barnett returned so anything is possible.

I don't think Dana wants to take the risk. Total moronic move by Palhares.

It might be one of those things where Dana doesn't want to go back on what he said. I would say give him another chance if he proves he can do the right thing. This offense wasn't really even that egregious compared to his past issues, despite what people seem to think. Had he let go even a fraction of a second sooner, no one could say anything. I'm happy with the cut based on the pattern of behavior but not a lifetime ban if he can show he has changed.

I understand what you're saying, the problem I think, is that he has not only done this in the UFC, but he's done it in BJJ tournaments as well. I know this isn't nearly as bad as what Babalu did, but he sure hasn't gone back on that ban, so I'm pretty sure he won't go back on this one.

Dana almost never is true to his word when it comes to his universal statements.

He said certain people could never return or werent' good enough ever and then had them in the Org. He said women would never be in and then made a women's division. I'm not saying he's a liar. I think he just makes rash dcisions.

Palhares will heel hook a gunmen and save Dana's life and still be without a job.

Don't see him coming back but hey WMMA made it & Barnett returned so anything is possible.

Came here to post exactly this word for word. Lol.

Agreed. I cannot take anything Dana says as 100% guaranteed, as he was on video saying you will never see women in the UFC. That said, I think Dana was fairly crafty with the words he used when he announced Palhares being cut during that interview.
He first talked about Daley, but the he said "he's cut", and "he's done" (referring to Palhares). Unless there was something I missed, he never explicitly said he's banned for life. He said "he's cut", "he's done", which to me, leaves the window open for Palhares eventually making a return.

White is protecting his fighters now, but Palhares is a pretty good fighter as well. If he can realize he has a problem, fix himself, and prove he's not a nutcase in another org, then Dana may eventually want him back.

I think it's going to take an awful lot for Palhares to be let back in. The only thing he has going for him is that he didn't give Dana an attitude on the way out. I think that has as much to do with Daley being banned forever as the sucker punch.

Dana almost never is true to his word when it comes to his universal statements.

He said certain people could never return or werent' good enough ever and then had them in the Org. He said women would never be in and then made a women's division. I'm not saying he's a liar. I think he just makes rash dcisions.

This is true. When Dana says you're banned for life it's basically a 50/50 shot. Barnet and Marquardt both made it back while Daley and Babalu did not. With a few wins, good chance he lets Palhares back.

he wasn't "banned for life" he was just released from the UFC. couple of wins and maybe a win by leg lock which he releases when he should...... he might come back.

do i think it will happen? NO, but nothing is impossible.
TBH, Dana did say he'd never fight in the UFC again, apparently, but the official statement didn't mention it.

However, I can see some situations where Dana/UFC might change their minds...like if it became profitable for them to, lol.

after what mike pierce was saying about palhares i expected some kind of submission of the leg in the fight.palhares made him pay for what he said about him.

Most likely, he doesn't come back. Bellator is also indicating that they don't want him. Let's see what WSoF says. If they don't take him, Paul Harris might actually have to go back to the Brazilian local circuit. Huge step down for a guy of his level.

Palhares didn't hold it that long, the ref took forever to get there, Palhares doesn't have to stop until the ref intervenes, either way he's cut and it's lame people are so happy a talented exciting grappler in Palhares got cut and his that a human being just lost their way of making a successful living.

I won't say it's impossible that he will someday make it back in but the fact is that Palhares would have to do some major damage control for a while (no pun intended) and show genuine acknowledgement of/remorse for his mistakes. Be honest, is this a guy that has that kind of promotional toolkit?

There are other problems like the fact that the list of guys willing to fight the Forest Gump of leg locks keeps getting shorter, the fact that AC's may start refusing to license him based on his history, and the fact that, unlike an incident like Babalu who did it maliciously, Palhares seems to just not understand that he is seriously putting people's livelihoods at risk by being reckless.

In other words yeah he could make it back, but I don't see him being the type of guy who can do the leg work (okay, pun intended) necessary to get back.

Back