1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Would Cowboys only kick have KOd Conor?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by theleerygoose, Jan 20, 2020.

1. theleerygoose Purple Belt

I can't seem to find a gif of it, but it happens right before Conor throws his head kick. Cerrone throws a seemingly powerful head kick and Conor blocks it.

I'll admit it was a wierd fight, but if it was a fix would Cerrone have thrown a kick like that? If someone has a gif of Cowboys high kick feel free to share, it happens right before Conors kick below.

[​IMG]

2. mmasask Orange Belt

Dont even recall him throwing a single strike... brokeback folded like an amateur

3. 20falarVerdades Silver Belt

It would definitely have wobbled Conor. But it was nicely blocked as you pointed out

4. NaughtyBoy Silver Belt

<Prem974>

This is depressing.

5. FlyingDeathKick Silver Belt

Was a body kick, still though... Hope somebody makes a gif of this so we can put the "didn't throw a single strike" bs to rest.

6. linch Brown Belt

He threw a weak ass kick.
    Conor blocked it like it was nothing.
    Cowboy used to ko people with kicks.
    Terrible performance really.

7. maidana Banned Banned

Starched

8. I do not believe the fight was fixed - because why on Earth would they? - but Cerrone did not throw a single strike that wasn't safe to throw in a fixed match.

9. Twixt Orange Belt

Nah conor has a chin of granite

10. tamoe Orange Belt

11. MayhemMonkey Is it just me, or is it getting crazier out there?

if I remember correctly it wouldve landed on the shoulder, so I doubt it

12. Ultra O’Dia Banned Banned

I hadn’t seen the fight, only this gif.

The headkick is a toe in the neck, the knee is blocked...... wtf

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  13. tamoe Orange Belt

Donald threw a head kick, then Conor threw one. I remember noticing that there was an incredible difference in the speed of the 2 kicks, Conor's kick was so quick there wasn't time to block it. "There are different levels to this game"

14. Draxton Captain shitpost

From another angle you see Donald’s head snap hard from the kick. It hit him pretty hard

15. Ultra O’Dia Banned Banned

Maybe he has hard Irish potato toes

16. dipstickjimmy Red Belt

I thought it was "Didn't Land a single strike."

17. FlyingDeathKick Silver Belt

No the narrative is that he didn't throw a strike either which is part of the argument for the fight being fixed. It did appear to partially land as well, I'm gonna see what it says on ufcstats.com.

Edit: it credits Cerrone with throwing one strike but not with landing which begs the question... How do they score a kick that lands on the arm/is blocked?? Does that count as not landing?

18. yougetKTFO Red Belt

People are going wild about the whole fix thing, it's not fixed as in Donald literally fell and faked it. It's fixed as in a stylistically perfect matchup, at a perfect point in their careers, where cowboy essentially agreed to stand and bang (instead of go the only place he may have had advantage) plus conspiracy theorists will also point to herb deans selection as ref ( after all that happened in the khabib fight ) and the fact that cowboy limped around fight week, and Donald's overall demeanor following the bout (payday considered)

It doesn't look good but in no way do I think cowboy went in there and purposely went down. I just know the ufc did everything in their power to get a win for Conor.

19. dipstickjimmy Red Belt

That's where I checked as well. I guess if they consider it to be blocked then it doesn't count as landed.

The fight wasn't "Fixed". The fight was carefully curated to result in an outcome similar to what resulted. It was a "Showcase" for Conor. Cowboy is very much a style match up that Conor is made to beat.

Cowboy is a notoriously slow starter
    Conor is a notoriously fast starter

Cowboy is a striker who has a good ground game but is not known for "Offensive" wrestling.
    Conor is a striker who can be very creative when there is less to fear in the way of TDs.

Cowboy is known to struggle with left handed opponents (Diaz, Pettis, Benson x 2, RDA x2, Leon Edwards, Till, Lawler, Gathje) Ten of his 13 losses were to lefties going into this fight.
    Conor is left handed.

Cowboy said prior to the fight something along the line of: I would rather lose an epic fight then win a forgettable fight.
    He was mentally checked out and defeated going in to the bout IMO.

Similar to Forest Griffin heading into the Anderson fight. Forest knew he was the nail and Anderson was the hammer. Donald knew this as well.

20. JoeganMoldberg Blue Belt

Too obvious....