Would Cain's stratergy against JDS work on every MMA fighter on the planet?

Cain will need a whole different game plan against Overeem and even that wont be enough. There is nobody with all the polished skill sets that Overeem has in the UFC HW division. That is just a fact.

Highly doubt it, If they fight again, and Cain used the same strategy, there is a high chance Cain would get knocked the fuck out. I saw many opennings and possible counters for JDS. I think he was overwhelmed and not prepared for the fast pace fight. It will be different next time.

I truly believe, if Cain fought like that against Anderson or Bones, it wouldn't work too well.

It can work on 99% of fighters. But it isn't fullproof. If someone can avoid the takedowns then the strategy is gone.

It would be interesting if someone could put Cain on his back and keep him there for extended periods of time.

Can't see anyone on the horizon who could do that though. His stand up is good enough to beat up most guys in HW, and those who do have a clear stand up advantage against him he will probably be able to take down and beat up.

Cain will need a whole different game plan against Overeem and even that wont be enough. There is nobody with all the polished skill sets that Overeem has in the UFC HW division. That is just a fact.

Overeem got outstruck by Werdum using Cain's strategy

It can work on 99% of fighters. But it isn't fullproof. If someone can avoid the takedowns then the strategy is gone.

JDS avoided the takedown, Cain just kept coming.

The only way to beat it is to land a perfect KO shot while Cain is rushing. If JDS couldn't do it, who can.

I don't even think slapping on a sub would be possible with the frenetic pace Cain was employing.

Not sure if taking down Werdum would be the best idea, he could still beat him standing up though.

Werdum's standup has changed quite a bit. Not too sure about that anymore. Yeah, he's sluggish, but that's his frame. He's pretty badass now.

I think so. It's an unbeatable strategy, like Sonnen's but with stand up and GNP that hurts.
Overeem in the clinch will do a lot more damage than for instance JDS. JDS in the clinch did nothing. One knee to the ribs and they are broken.

I think so. It's an unbeatable strategy, like Sonnen's but with stand up and GNP that hurts.

You are exactly right that it is like Sonnen's strategy, but I don't agree that any one fighting style will work against everyone.

Not sure that it would work against every fighter, but i believe that it is the perfect strategy to beat Jon Jones. Take him out of his confort zone, don't let him work his range, if Cain gets inside without being taken down, he will destroy Jones.

LOL at, like Sonnen's

Cain is at another level, can't compare the two together.

why not?

Cain might be more powerful than Sonnen, because he is a HW, but they are very similar.

Overeem in the clinch will do a lot more damage than for instance JDS. JDS in the clinch did nothing. One knee to the ribs and they are broken.

Overeem will probably be on his back before that.

i think it would work against werdum too... hard to see Cain getting subbed by anyone

LOL at, like Sonnen's

Cain is at another level, can't compare the two together.

Actually, Cain fought very Sonnen-like against Cain in that first round, just going relentlessly for the takedown and nothing else over and over.

sure, it will work untill he gets subbed or knocked out or faces somebody that is simply better than him?

Back