Would Cain's stratergy against JDS work on every MMA fighter on the planet?

opponent

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think so. It's an unbeatable strategy, like Sonnen's but with stand up and GNP that hurts.

Not sure if taking down Werdum would be the best idea, he could still beat him standing up though.

Dunno, it may work against anyone but not every single time.

A wrestler with good stand-up is definitely a dangerous opponent for anyone, but I think that someone with a good ground game (Werdum, for example) would not be as concerned with being taken down. True, Cain would probably beat Werdum to a pulp before Fabricio could pull off a submission, but it still would play out differently than Cain-JDS.

EDIT: After I posted, I saw the post from Petoria about Werdum - great minds think alike.

A wrestler with good stand-up is definitely a dangerous opponent for anyone, but I think that someone with a good ground game (Werdum, for example) would not be as concerned with being taken down. True, Cain would probably beat Werdum to a pulp before Fabricio could pull off a submission, but it still would play out differently than Cain-JDS.

Cain wouldn't try to take Werdum down unless he caused some considerable standing damage to Werdum severely reducing his effectiveness in trying to get a sub.

I don't think it would work against Cormier.

Won't work on someone that doesn't gas in the first 2.5 minutes.

It would certainly be a stiff test for any fighter but I feel that an opponant with either a strong BJJ game or the ability to punish his aggresion standing(straight counters, knees, takedowns of there own etc) could be much more effective.

No. Seems like a silly question.

My thoughts exactly One strategy that can beat everyone? No. Cormier and JBJ would need a totally different strategy as they're both as good or better at wrestling. Guys like Mir or Werdum, Cain probably wouldnt want them on the ground at all. Overeem would need a totally different gameplan all together.

No fighter or game plan of any fighter in the world is unbeatable. Everything has a counter which in Cains case would in my opinion involve superior

* Deny Cain the sides of the octagon, avoid letting him rough you up and pinning you to the cage. Randy C. while lighter in weight used this tactic with incredible success to augment his greco style of offense.

* takedown defense - Obviously as seen with JDS, good takedown defense alone is not enough but it must be used in combination with successful stand up combos. Otherwise your living on borrowed time before your on the mat.

* Only sweeping or quick leg strikes...if you can't do this without being taken caught or taken down..ignore. Key here is slowing down Cains advance.

* Jab , Jab, Jab...boom.... You must maintain distance and punish Cain as he is advancing on your position. JDS was hit early on in the fight which completely determined its outcome so he never really implemented any serious attacks.

So while you may not knock out Cain while he advances you should be able to tag his face repeatedly while circling the ring and then letting loose a bomb or upercut.
It is imperative in my opinion to gain Cains respect by hurting him and forcing him to be more tactical. Once this is accomplished you can begin to try and pick him apart and go for a tko or ko.

Right now, I dont see anyone winning a cardio or war of attrition with Cain. I also don't see him getting choked out or subbed since with Cains speed and over-all gameplan you DON'T want to be on the floor with him.

* So there it is , by my process of elimination and observing Cheik Kongos fight it seems the best way to beat Cain is still with a mobile stand up, keeping the fight up top, avoid the cage..jab him to death for haymaker uppercuts and occasional kicks to hamper movement. All this while circling and avoiding the dirty fighting stationary style of combat.

Yes, easier said than done..I am well aware of that.

like the first guy said, keep trying to take down guys like werdum and maia wouldnt be a good idea (maia and sonnen) and bum rushing everyone wouldnt be a good idea (anderson and chuck)

Knee's might of been Cain's downfall if JDS used them. Imagine a strong knee to the face as Cain goes for the single? It would hurt allot, obviously, this would take allot of skill and timing to do. To do this, (werdum) you would need to be comfy on your back.

Don't think because you're good on your back, mean that you can beat a wrestler. Look at Mir/Brock II - Brock completely nullified any chances of Mir advancing his Jits.

My thoughts exactly One strategy that can beat everyone? No. Cormier and JBJ would need a totally different strategy as they're both as good or better at wrestling. Guys like Mir or Werdum, Cain probably wouldnt want them on the ground at all. Overeem would need a totally different gameplan all together.

Why would Overeem need a different strategy? I feel like this strategy would work very well against any heavy if he hurt them standing like he did Junior.

It can work with alot he mixed the ground with stand up well

if he is fighting a prime Minotauro or a Werdum then that strategy if very very dangerous. Thus very much nont unbeatable.

Back