Would bulking be worth it on a diet like this?

tspirtle

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm an extremely picky eater, so it's hard for me to get a wide variety of foods to eat. The upside, however, is that I have no problem eating the same foods every day for months at a time.

With that said, I'm planning on bulking, and came up with a sample meal plan for myself:

Meal 1 (800 Cal. Altogether)
Protein Shake (150 Cal.)
4 Pieces of Toast w/ Peanut Butter (650 Cal.)
Possibly eggs in replace of 2 pieces of toast

Meal 2 (460)
2x Packets of Oatmeal (260)
1 Teaspoon of Peanut Butter (200)

Meal 3 (440)
2x Grilled Chicken Patties (240)

Meal 4 (800)
2 Peanut Butter Sandwiches (650)
1 Banana (150)

Meal 5 (500)
Spaghetti/Hamburger/Pizza/etc. (500)

Meal 6 (620)
1 Grilled Chicken Patty (120)
1 Sandwich (300) -- or Tuna if I have it

That comes to a total of 3620 calories

I realize that I'm relying heavily on peanut butter, and I'm probably lacking meat a little too much. But, would that meal plan suffice? Or should I just not even bother bulking with a plan like that?

I've always had problems with eating vegetables. There isn't a single vegetable that I like.

I'm reading through the recipe thread now, hoping for a few ideas.

If I were to add vegetables to all 6 meals, would I still need to make other changes, or would that be good enough?

It would still be terrible. You seriously need to read up a little before posting. Read the FAQ.

what is bulking? what would you do differently in your lifting routine if you weren't in the mindset of "im bulking"?

and does a teaspoon of peanut butter really have 200 calories in it?

i think you meant 2 tablespoons.

Really buddy, you're going to have to clean up the diet a bit. You might gain weight on this, but you'll definitely put on as much fat as muscle. To give you some credit, I have heard often of the "Peanut butter challenge", where you eat a spoonful of peanut butter every waking hour of the day to help keep on weight (many of my teammates do it, but only the ones who tend to lose weight in the competitive season). But if you're mainly lifting weights rather than doing tons of cardio, it's not really the best plan.

I have the same diet except instead of peanut butter I use jelly and instead of chicken I use more jelly.

what is bulking? what would you do differently in your lifting routine if you weren't in the mindset of "im bulking"?
Bulking = Eating more calories than I burn. My lifting routine would be no different. I would just have excess calories/protein/etc to help with gains.
and does a teaspoon of peanut butter really have 200 calories in it?

i think you meant 2 tablespoons.
I actually typed this list out for myself a few days ago, and I put "teaspoons" at that time. I use a teaspoon, but I get a huge glob on it (Probably roughly 2 tablespoons worth), and I assumed it to add up to about 200 Cal.
Really buddy, you're going to have to clean up the diet a bit. You might gain weight on this, but you'll definitely put on as much fat as muscle. To give you some credit, I have heard often of the "Peanut butter challenge", where you eat a spoonful of peanut butter every waking hour of the day to help keep on weight (many of my teammates do it, but only the ones who tend to lose weight in the competitive season). But if you're mainly lifting weights rather than doing tons of cardio, it's not really the best plan.
I've been lifting 4 days a week and doing cardio on off days (Though my lower body DE day could count as an off day, because it's generally an easy workout). I do HIIT 3 days a week. I'm expecting to gain more fat than normal, but I'm hoping that I can keep a lot of it off through cardio. I also don't have too much trouble cutting, so I'm hoping it won't be too much of a hassle to get the weight off after the bulk.

I'm working on adding vegetables, as that seems to be the main problem I have. I'm going to try to completely revamp my whole diet over the next week or so. Thanks for all the advice/input, guys.

My personal bulking criteria right now:
-200+g protein
-8+ servings of fruits and vegetables, 4 of which need to be cruciferous.
-you're not ever allowed to turn down food.

Your proposed diet seems very high in fat.
Also, I know some people will disagree with this, but I don't think the average body can utilize an intake of 800 calories in one sitting (even if it is breakfast). The excess will be stored as fat. Keep the meal sizes around 500 (as you do with your other meals).
As for not liking vegetables, have you tried experimenting with things like stir-frying them in a bit of olive oil? How about taking a walk through the spice section of your grocery store and see if you can find some palatable flavorings. You could stir fry them in peanut oil, or make Thai style peanut sauce with coconut milk (buy the low fat brand). You could go Italian and drench them with garlic salt/powder and shaved onions. You could mix in a bit of salsa, or a bit of (low sugar) barbeque sauce. Really, there are tons of possibilities.
Good luck.

less peanut butter and more meat dude

i would get sick of peanut butter if i used it that liberally

more chicken, more red meat, and yes more veggies

Your proposed diet seems very high in fat.
I don't think the average body can utilize an intake of 800 calories in one sitting (even if it is breakfast). The excess will be stored as fat. Keep the meal sizes around 500 (as you do with your other meals).

Source(s)? I'm not asking because I disagree, I just want to read up on it. I have 5x800kcal meals per day because I'm bulking. If my body is storing all that fat then I need to change things.

I drink most of my vegetation... vitamix = godsend.

I drink most of my vegetation... vitamix = godsend.

It is quite a machine but DAMN is it expensive. I love watching the demos for it though. It really seems quite versatile.

it IS damn expensive. but frankly, I feel like it's really worth it. it functions as a phenomenal blender, and an ok everything else (food processor, sorbet maker, etc.) but I'd really have trouble getting as many vegetables daily without it. Get it at costco when they're doing the demonstrations, it's 50 bucks cheaper. this thing liquifies everything...

man i want that for almond butter & veggies. though, for $600 i can't justify the purchase. maybe in a few years when i actually have the money to throw around : \

Back