Would banning women beaters and other violent offenders help the UFC

How butthurt do you have to be to bring Jones up in threads that have nothing to do with him making a joke that isn't remotely funny

haha what?

Suggesting to ban all fighters who "beat women" is a ridiculous idea. To illustrate that, I asked TS if this ridiculous measure should be applied to one of his favorite fighters who also technically beat up a woman.

What makes me "butthurt"?

you cant let good fighters go as then the competitors will benefit - but you need to make a big show of it - if the fighter isnt really a draw then crucify them and make good headlines - if the fighter is actually important, then be dodgy and try to push stuff under the rug if at all possible - keep them on the roster but maybe try to renegotiate their contract down or something

definitely, the ufc wants to be in the spotlight as against this stuff and they have been - i think thats good for their image for sure - but you cant treat draws the same as non-draws

im curious to see what happens with rumble - he was recently promoted in a big fight with cormier, which makes me think they'll want to promote him again - i dont think they want rumble to go to a competitor - so maybe they can make everything work here

haha what?

Suggesting to ban all fighters who "beat women" is a ridiculous idea. To illustrate that, I asked TS if this ridiculous measure should be applied to one of his favorite fighters who also technically beat up a woman.

What makes me "butthurt"?
how is this a ridiculous idea, being a warrior is fine but still need to follow a code of ethics

No, it would hurt the UFC because they'd lose prospects and potential stars to competitors over something it's fans really don't care about.

I could care less what these athletes do in their free time, but if anything their personal drama gives us all something to talk about. Hell, we'll all sit here calling Jones a moron for his hit and run incident, but if he comes back who's going to refuse to watch his fights in protest? ... Anyone? ... I didn't think so.

you cant let good fighters go as then the competitors will benefit - but you need to make a big show of it - if the fighter isnt really a draw then crucify them and make good headlines - if the fighter is actually important, then be dodgy and try to push stuff under the rug if at all possible - keep them on the roster but maybe try to renegotiate their contract down or something

definitely, the ufc wants to be in the spotlight as against this stuff and they have been - i think thats good for their image for sure - but you cant treat draws the same as non-draws

im curious to see what happens with rumble - he was recently promoted in a big fight with cormier, which makes me think they'll want to promote him again - i dont think they want rumble to go to a competitor - so maybe they can make everything work here
I think the UFC needs to make sure they are the premiere MMA organization with pay, if they were to do this then suspensions could be harsher and fines just like all the other major sports

No, it would hurt the UFC because they'd lose prospects and potential stars to competitors over something it's fans really don't care about.

I could care less what these athletes do in their free time, but if anything their personal drama gives us all something to talk about. Hell, we'll all sit here calling Jones a moron for his hit and run incident, but if he comes back who's going to refuse to watch his fights in protest? ... Anyone? ... I didn't think so.
you are speaking of the fans that MMA has right now not potential fans that are turned off by this behavior

how is this a ridiculous idea, being a warrior is fine but still need to follow a code of ethics

Let the law deal with these cases. Obviously if there's a media shit storm over a case, the UFC will react accordingly just as they have been already. No need to make it an official policy.

Let the law deal with these cases. Obviously if there's a media shit storm over a case, the UFC will react accordingly just as they have been already. No need to make it an official policy.

look at any major sports the suspensions are harsh if UFC wants to be a major sport organization they need to start following

you are speaking of the fans that MMA has right now not potential fans that are turned off by this behavior
Sports fans aren't turned off by this behavior; the more mainstream sports are promoting athletes who are far more hardened criminals than anyone in the UFC.

The UFC's main demographic is males, age 18-34, who might enjoy cage fights. They won't be expanding into the soccer mom, idealist or pacifist markets when their product is cage fighting. The fans expect to see the best athletes competing against each other, no more and no less. You can't compromise that for irrelevant reasons.

Sports fans aren't turned off by this behavior; the more mainstream sports are promoting athletes who are far more hardened criminals than anyone in the UFC.

The UFC's main demographic is males, age 18-34, who might enjoy cage fights. They won't be expanding into the soccer mom, idealist or pacifist markets when their product is cage fighting. The fans expect to see the best athletes competing against each other, no more and no less. You can't compromise that for irrelevant reasons.
MMA isn't attracting the best athletes, sure they a good athletes but not great. Inn order to do this the money needs to there, the only way to do this is to try to make it more mainstream

MMA isn't attracting the best athletes, sure they a good athletes but not great. Inn order to do this the money needs to there, the only way to do this is to try to make it more mainstream
The big money sports got to where they are by being 50 year institutions and becoming culturally iconic, which was much easier to do decades ago. If the UFC is going to even attempt to ingrain itself into varying cultures to that extent it needs to survive and continue putting on quality shows. It needs the best athletes it can get it's hands on and it can't be losing athletes for trivial reasons.

The big money sports got to where they are by being 50 year institutions and becoming culturally iconic, which was much easier to do decades ago. If the UFC is going to even attempt to ingrain itself into varying cultures to that extent it needs to survive and continue putting on quality shows. It needs the best athletes it can get it's hands on and it can't be losing athletes for trivial reasons.
The UFC has now been around for 22 years out has made some strides but no where near where it should be by now

The UFC has now been around for 22 years out has made some strides but no where near where it should be by now
The UFC was an unknown barfight league that was bleeding money until Dana and the Fertitas bought in and started pushing for sanctioning. The amount of progress the UFC has made in this short time is completely unprecedented and is a borderline miracle. Where exactly do you think it should be by now and what are you basing your opinion on?

The UFC should CERTAINLY put an violent offender officially charged with a felony or violent misdemeanor abuse on hold until the matter is settled in a court of law.

Accusations on Social media fucking makes me sick.

I don't give a rats rectum about "rumors" and hopefully most are like me here.

No charges, no punishment by UFC IMO!

The UFC should CERTAINLY put an violent offender officially charged with a felony or violent misdemeanor abuse on hold until the matter is settled in a court of law.

Accusations on Social media fucking makes me sick.

I don't give a rats rectum about "rumors" and hopefully most are like me here.

No charges, no punishment by UFC IMO!

agreed

The UFC was an unknown barfight league that was bleeding money until Dana and the Fertitas bought in and started pushing for sanctioning. The amount of progress the UFC has made in this short time is completely unprecedented and is a borderline miracle. Where exactly do you think it should be by now and what are you basing your opinion on?

when the UFC brought out the first TUF it was the best move they made, but since then not much progress in mainstream. You are right the UFC was close to going under, but after TUF not much has been done. Network TV should be their next step and where they should be by now. build up your pay per view by getting that network deal

Back