Would a UFC tag team division work?

Discussion in 'The Lightweights' started by KeithMcKenzieJunior, Dec 17, 2016.

1. KeithMcKenzieJunior

KeithMcKenzieJunior White Belt

As a fan I come from a pro wrestling background and since watching UFC I have wondered why they don't have a tag division.

I know that certain fighters all train as part of the same team. Would it not be possible to have matches were one fighters on the outside and can be brought in to the match if his partner makes a tag to him? Or if that's not possible a fighter and there partner could fight in alternating rounds? 5 round matches each time and the fifth and final round the fighters decide between themselves who will participate.

I think it would be a pretty cool concept, worth trying at least. I know a lot of people will say its a silly pro wrestling thing but if you look beyond that and properly think about it, I think it would work. The UFC seems to be over saturated with fighters at the moment anyway so a tag team championship in each weight division would give some of the lesser fighters a much bigger purpose. Being a tag team champion could act as a great stepping stone on to individual glory and it would also lead to some interesting battles if two partners ever faced each other.

Thoughts?

2. TheTimeIsNotNow

TheTimeIsNotNow Red Belt

More interested in handicap matches with a heavyweight fighting two manlets

3. JosephTessaro

JosephTessaro Black Belt

No. If it were up to me, I would do two things to bring more excitement...tournament format to fight for the belt and an open weight grand prix.