Worth it to buy a PS3?

Kaybee

Arianator Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Right now I have an XBone, 360, and PS2, but I am going to sell my 360 soon because every game I have left for it is either obsolete or playable on the XBone.

What I am thinking of doing is buying a PS3 and selling the PS2 (all games I have are PS3 playable) so that I can cover that generation since not everything is quite covered by XBone. Also, I'd rather not deal with corded controllers in 2019 and all the cordless controllers for PS2 are trash.

What PS3 exclusives or last-gen games not playable on XBone would make this idea worth it? I'm not really into FPS games but I'm open to other genres. God of War series looks fun, and I'd probably pick up Blitz the League II. Infamous looks fun too.

The Uncharted series was the shit. Play them in order though. I played 2, then 1, than 3. All great, but I think 2 was better than 1 and would have appreciated 1 more had I played it first.

It's worth it just for Demon's Souls

What I am thinking of doing is buying a PS3 and selling the PS2 (all games I have are PS3 playable)...
Are you talking about backwards compatibility?

If I’m not mistaken, only the old as fuck ps3 models have backwards compatibility. The slim models don’t.

Are you talking about backwards compatibility?
Yes. All of my PS2 games are backwards compatible with PS3, and I’m selling my 360 so there will be a minor void in that gen. The only 360 game I can think of that isn’t on XBone but can be played on PS3 that I’d want is Blitz the League II, so I suppose this is more about what PS3 exclusives are there and would they make spending $60-100 or whatever on a PS3 worth it?

Yes. All of my PS2 games are backwards compatible with PS3, and I’m selling my 360 so there will be a minor void in that gen. The only 360 game I can think of that isn’t on XBone but can be played on PS3 that I’d want is Blitz the League II, so I suppose this is more about what PS3 exclusives are there and would they make spending $60-100 or whatever on a PS3 worth it?
Most PS3s aren't backwards compatible though.

I'd avoid old models like the plague if I were you. They're pretty much all doomed to have ylod at some point.

I’d be looking to buy the older model, not the slim.
Not all of the older models are backwards compatible either. 20GB and 60GB play PS2 games natively but came out in 06 and 07. The 80GB model (including the MGS4 bundle) emulated them through software but had it removed through a system update.
Plus you have to worry about the YLOD on the fat ones.

I’d be looking to buy the older model, not the slim.
How many of those can be bought brand new? How many can be bought used that still function or can have parts replaced with new laser rack, etc?

I like using PS3 to watch mp4 videos from flashdrive or disc. PS4 cannot play mp4 from disc and the video player interface is shittier but can play .mkv, I think and some screwy mp4 that PS3 can't.

How many of those can be bought brand new? How many can be bought used that still function or can have parts replaced with new laser rack, etc?

I like using PS3 to watch mp4 videos from flashdrive or disc. PS4 cannot play mp4 from disc and the video player interface is shittier but can play .mkv, I think and some screwy mp4 that PS3 can't.

For some weird reason MP4's have to be coded in a certain way for them to be played on a PS4, that was one real good thing about the PS3. Media player is crap on the PS4, Ended up switching to Plex for a while until i got my latest tv and plex went crap and switched to Emby.

I wouldn't lose the ps2. Like others stated, only certain models from the first run can play ps2 games. These are also notorious for failing. Get the second model the slim version.

Right now is a great time to get into the PS3 because games are so damn cheap on ebay. The system also holds up very well and doesn't look dated.

Definitely worth it, just don't bother with the BC. The older models are ticking time bombs, and seriously, you're probably not going to utilize the BC that much once you get into the PS3 library. Just hang on to your PS2. You won't be selling it for much these days anyways. You might get $20 for it if you're lucky.

Get a slim. The games are dirt cheap, and on sale all the time. Holds up great.

For some weird reason MP4's have to be coded in a certain way for them to be played on a PS4, that was one real good thing about the PS3. Media player is crap on the PS4, Ended up switching to Plex for a while until i got my latest tv and plex went crap and switched to Emby.
I've had many mp4 play glitchy sped up on PS3 but play fine on PS4. I like how PS3 lets you play at 1.5x speed where you can still hear the sped up audio. PS4 can't do that, and if you want to fast fwd, you have to hold down the button rather than each press puts you in a faster "gear" like in PS3.

One thing PS4 does that PS3 can't is play .srt subtitles as captions.

PS4 also can't play DVD-MPEG2 that PS3 can.

PS3 was a great console. I’ve had a PS4 nearly four years but still use my PS3 which I’ve had for over seven years a lot.

The Uncharted series - amazing story's and pacing is spot on.
The Last if Us - same as Uncharted.
Ni No Kuni - beautiful art style from Studio Ghibli. A mixture of real time and turn based combat.
Demon's Souls - very good but you will die...a lot.
Little Big Planet - fun Mario style games.

I'm going to say no to this. Buy a PS4, not only do you have access to awesome games like Bloodborne, God of War, Spiderman, etc but you also have the best PS3 games remastered on the PS4. It is a win win

Last of Us
Yakuza series
God of War III
Sly Cooper 4
Metal Gear 4

Back