Worst robberies in UFC (and MMA) history? And how bad were UFC FN 59 decisions?

Pendred lost the first round, won the 2nd round convincingly, and stole the third with his leg kicks and his take down.

Spencer did absolutely NOTHING after he landed three haymakers and an illegal knee in the first round.

It was no robbery, though 30/27 is a ludicrous score. 29/28 to Pendred.

Almost exactly my thoughts, although I thought that the first round was fairly close as well but it felt like Spencer had won it so I gave him the round.

But when I heard 30-27 I was certain Spencer had won. When you've got 3 rounds that were that close you can't call it a robbery. And they were close.

Jones vs Gus was the greatest robbery... I don't know anyone that thinks Jones won that fight.

bendo/josh
Dave jansen/lamas
There are a lot of close fights,hard to judge them idk

Btw, no mention of Elkins' unquestionable robbery against Omigawa. Bad one.

Diego-Sanchez_2935024b.jpg

Neither of last night's were even close to as bad.

This. Oddly enough I called the Spit Decision for Diego and my friend thought I was nuts. I didn't think it was the right call but had a weird feeling about it.

Just looking at the breakdown for the Pendred Spencer fight

Round 1

Spencer 2m05 of control v 47 second for pendred
Strkes 15 (spencer) v 20 (Pendred)
Significant 15 (Spencer) v 11 (Pendred)
takedowns 2 (Pendred) v 0 (Spencer)

So round one, 2 minutes octagon control is not insubstantial, but two takedowns counts heavily against the slight striking advantage of Spencer. However, Spencer had the knockdown. Depends how you weight a knockdown and the follow up v two takedowns.

First round: Pendred (Just) but could easily be Spencer

Round 2

Pendred 54s control v 1s for Spencer
Strikes and Significant strikes nothing between them 20-21
Takedowns - 1 for Pendred v 0

So more control time for pendred with a takedown

Second Round: Pendred

Round 3

Control - Pendred 42s v 0 for Spencer
Significant strikes - 18 (Pendred) v 16 (Spencer)

Again not much in it, but octagon control and the takedown are enough for Pendred to take the round.

Third Round: Pendred

So Pendred 30-27 (29/28 possibly)

34zn8yu.png

BUT

Those stats appear to bear absolutely no relation to the fight i remember watching at whatever time this morning it was.. I think UFC have fiddled them. I just dont remember it happening the way the stats say it happened

Last edited:
There were at least two contoversial decisions (robberies?) from UFC Fight Night 59:

1) Cathal Pendred defeated Sean Spencer by unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)

2) Donald Cerrone defeated Benson Henderson via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

So, do you think either -- or both -- of these fights were robberies? And, if so, how would they compare to previous robberies?

And what fights would you consider the worst robberies in the history of the UFC (and MMA)?

Your thoughts?

WEll considering that they got the Cerrone fight right. I am not sure what you are trying to say.

Jones vs Gus was the greatest robbery... I don't know anyone that thinks Jones won that fight.

You're kidding right? I think Jones won and the fact you say greatest robbery means you're an idiot. You can't call a close fight a robbery. Sorry the judges weren't wearing Gus t-shirts and looked at it in an unbiased matter. Unless you blow out the champ you'll lose a decision in a title fight. Close fights almost always go to the champ

Round 1

So round one, 2 minutes octagon control is not insubstantial, but two takedowns counts heavily against the slight striking advantage of Spencer.

First round: Pendred (Just)

Round 2

Round 3

Again not much in it, but octagon control and the takedown are enough for Pendred to take the round.

So Pendred 30-27

BUT

Those stats appear to bear absolutely no relation to the fight i remember watching at whatever time this morning it was.. I think UFC have fiddled them.

Except those stats almost exactly bear out what I wrote when watching it. But I was starting to doubt myself when listening to Rogan go on and on about what a technical clinic Spencer was putting on.

OLE chants during the walk-ins for the huge crowd favorite Pendred, who was born in Boston and lives and trains in Ireland. Pendred with Octagon control to start and goes for a takedown right away. OLE chants again. Pendred completes the takedown after a hard struggle. Spencer works to his feet but Pendred again trying for a takedown. He eats a couple of elbows in the process. They finally get separated. Spencer landing a couple hard shots, one that knocks Pendred down. Pendred is out on his feet but staying in there and goes for another takedown. This is similar to his UFC debut where he was pretty much out and fought back to get a finish but Spencer is a far more talented boxer than that opponent was. Spencer now pressing the action and landing seemingly at will but Pendred doing a good job staying away. Pendred with another takedown. Pendred landing punches but Spencer right back up with 30 seconds left. Tough round to score. Pendred was in control most of the round but Spencer did the most damage by far. 10-9 Spencer

Pendred with Octagon control to start again but he's leery of the striking of Spencer. Spencer takes over Octagon control and basically stalking Pendred around the cage. Pendred scoring with the occasional leg kick but almost no punches. Pendred with a nice leg kick followed up with a couple of punches. After the first minute, the round has been pretty even. Pendred going for a takedown with about 1 minute left right after getting rocked with a hard punch. Pendred gets the takedown. Right into side control and going for a Kimura. It's fairly tight. Spencer fights out. Pendred could've stolen the round. It was really close. 10-9 Pendred.

Pendred's corner thinks he stole the round but Rogan and Goldberg don't agree. First part of the round both guys were kind of tentative. Spencer makes the first move but Pendred takes over and briefly establishes control but they're quickly back in the centre 1:30 in. Spencer pressing the action but Pendred lands the first few punches of the round. Pendred landing kicks again but Spencer starting to land punches. Pendred is holding his own halfway through the round. OLE chants spark up again. Pendred working for a takedown but has to give it up. Pendred gets a takedown and working for a choke. Spencer right back up. Round is very close, maybe Pendred's because of the takedown even though the announcers made it sound like it was totally Spencer's fight. I have it 29-28 Pendred but any score and any winner possible.

And I don't think I saw any stats during the fight.

Both were bad calls. Any educated, unbiased MMA fan knows who won them.

had cerrone winning the fight, rounds 1 and 2. what am I missing? just watched it this morning at work no commentary, shocked at the backlash of fans screaming robbery

it's kind of obscure but does anyone remember alan jouban getting robbed vs warley alves on the shogunvs osp fight night?

Except those stats almost exactly bear out what I wrote when watching it. But I was starting to doubt myself when listening to Rogan go on and on about what a technical clinic Spencer was putting on.

I need to watch it again. But the stats certainly suggest a Pendred victory, and i wonder if what with the lateness of it all i was just listening to Rogan too much.

Pendred/Spencer was a robbery, but doesn't rank that high on the list of all time worsts.
Henderson/Cerrone was a bad decision, but the fight was too close to consider a robbery.

The worst robberies I can remember are:
-Thompson/Pudz 2 (Straight up corruption. KSW realized they messed up after the fight and came up with an obviously fake excuse about how the judges messed up the scorecards. Was officially changed to a no contest)
-Phan/Garcia 1
-Noons/Couture (Doesn't get mentioned nearly enough. Couture was outclassed and still won)

Round 1

So round one, 2 minutes octagon control is not insubstantial, but two takedowns counts heavily against the slight striking advantage of Spencer. However, Spencer had the knockdown.

First round: Spencer

Round 2

Round 3

So Pendred 29-28

34zn8yu.png

BUT

Those stats appear to bear absolutely no relation to the fight i remember watching at whatever time this morning it was.. I think UFC have fiddled them. I just dont remember it happening the way the stats say it happened

And I don't think I saw any stats during the fight.

its exactly how i saw it.

i maintain, spencer did absolutely nothing after landing those three haymakers in round 1. he was guilty of looking for that same punch for the 2nd and 3rd round and maybe landing it a couple of times, compared to Pendred, whose unorthodox punching (lol) and legs, together with his few scoring takedowns, won him those rounds.

Sanchez vs Kampmann was hilarious, and I even like Diego. Holy shit what a ridiculous decision.

Last edited:
Last night wasn't so bad compared to past controversial decisions; I thought pendred clearly lost and the bendo / cerrone fight was too close to call, I think there are arguments on either side of that one.

In recent memory, these decisions come to mind as controversial, perhaps robbery (a few are robberies for sure, no doubt about it) Obviously this is my biased opinion:

Phan / Garcia
Pearson / Sanchez
Leonard Garcia in most his decision wins
Bisping / Hamill
Carmont / Larkin
Carmont / Lawlor
Story / Pyle
Maldonado / igor pokrajac
Meecheda / Shogun 1
Thompson / Gil
Gomi / Sanchez
Kapmann / Sanchez (now that I think about, Sanchez is like a 155 Garcia with his gifted decision wins)
Holloway / Bermudez
Page / King Mo
Personally I thought Miguel beat MIghty Mo based on back activity / chaining sub attempt

On all these fights outside of Hamill / bisping I was betting and have been on both the losing / winning side of these close calls. Its fights and calls like these that have slowly made me realize mma is an incredibly frustrating and difficult sport to bet. My first gray hairs are a result of controversial decisions.

Last edited:
it's kind of obscure but does anyone remember alan jouban getting robbed vs warley alves on the shogunvs osp fight night?

Absolutely. That one was bad.

This was my comment in the writeup for that one:

10-9 Jouban, 30-27 overall

WINNER: WARLLEY ALVES (8-0) by unanimous decision on scores of 29-28,29-28, 29-28. Best bets were 4/5 on the night after that robbery.

I don't see what the big deal is. Cerrone won because he was slightly more active and a little bit more effective than Henderson. I thought he won the first and second rounds based on simply landing the only significant shots in the round. That normally doesn't carry much weight, but when your opponent is doing a whole lot it's enough. I thought Cowboy won all three rounds just by being busier.

Back