1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Worst decision ever - new canidate

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by DOMMA, Jun 18, 2021.

1. DOMMA Black Belt

Two former UFC fighters fought last night, Rory Macdonald vs Gleison Tibau. Tibau won a split decision in what could arguably be the worst MMA decision in several years. MacDonald outstruck Tibau 81-32 in total strikes landed. MacDonald had an edge in leg strikes at 31-2, he also outpunched Tibau 48-30 in total arm strikes landed. MacDonald also landed the only takedown in the fight.

This ranks up there with Bisping vs Hamill as one of the worst decisions I have ever seen. Anyone else witness this?

Ares Black, JohnMandick, BFoe and 5 others like this.
  2. Canned Tuna Silver Belt

I didn't watch. The numbers certainly make it sound pretty bad. Did Rory get wobbled/dropped in a round that he was otherwise winning?

Sissy Boy likes this.
  3. DOMMA Black Belt

No. I will say that Tibau moved forward the entire fight. But to say he won two rounds is baffling. I have no dog in the fight, nor did I not bet on the fight, but Rory won all three rounds.

4. TJ Dillashank Purple Belt

Too bad I couldn't watch it why don't they have it on on a day that isn't Friday mid-day or Thursday

Pezza likes this.
  5. Marko Polo In Klopp We Trust Platinum Member

Sounds messed up. Tough luck for Rory

6. Dog Gynecologist Reug Reug Stan Account

I agree it was a shitty decision.
    But to be fair, i find PFL very generous with the way they count effective strike : as long as you touch your opponent it counts, even if it's blocked by the hand/arms. Am i the only one to think that?

7. Shaddows Steel Belt

I did not watch, but numbers don't always tell the whole story.
    For instance: If the fight was on the ground and Tibau was locking submissions after submissions for most of the round, then punches and kicks would be irrelevant.

not saying that's what happened, just giving you an example so you understand why telling just the number of kicks punches are meaningless

8. Post 2 Decision Gold Belt

Sanchez vs Pearson was much worse. It should have been 30-27 Pearson easy, but judges gave 30-27 both ways, and Diego 29-28

These were probably worse too, these always come to mind
    Garcia vs Zombie
    Garcia vs Phan
    Sanchez vs Gomi
    Sanchez vs Kampmann

9. Dog Gynecologist Reug Reug Stan Account

For instance, the only sub attempt was a RNC by Rory. The only things Tibau got for him was he walked forward all the fight and stuffed a lot a TD attempt (but did not counter it with strike, just stuffing).

Aside from the facts they are count every strikes as long as they touch (even the blocked one), the numbers really tell the story of the fight

10. DOMMA Black Belt

I watched all of these fights and agree they are all robberies. The Garcia vs Phan was a shocker for sure; Phan won every round and lost. The same thing happened in the fight last night to Rory....hard to understand.

11. the phantom toe Yellow Belt

Sanchez vs Pearson was the worst decision I've ever seen

12. Fatback96 Black Belt

Moving forward means absolutely nothing unless the striking is even. Go read the rules.

13. Lord Grey Purple Belt

You're correct, but it's the judges of that match who should go read the rules. The fact that Tibau was constantly moving forward is about the only reason an observer can come up with to explain why the judges scored the fight in his favour.

MMA, Ares Black, Sleazy C and 5 others like this.
  14. Grandwizard666 Orange Belt

Aggression IS rewarded
    Because 90 percent of judges are Crack addicts they will spontaneously award a forward moving fighter in one match and not in another
    Basically to some of them you can walk forward and get turned to hamburger but because you're moving forward YOU'RE AGGRESSIVE.
    Insanity

15. robbie Brown Belt

I saw the fight and have to agree with you. On the takedown, MacDonald was able to get Tibau's back and applied multiple submission attempts. So McDonald won the stand-up and the grappling by definitive margins and still somehow lost the fight. I had MacDonald winning all three rounds, but R3 was a little bit lackluster. So if the judges scored that round for Tibau, I wouldn't complain since the stats in R3 were less dominant for Rory vs. R1 and R2 which were obvious clear cut rounds for MacDonald.

EXOICHO, Grandwizard666 and DOMMA like this.
  16. DOMMA Black Belt

Agree.

17. Goatenstein Black Belt

I actually think some crack might improve their judging.

Grandwizard666 likes this.
  18. Fatback96 Black Belt

Unfortunately this is the world we live in. It’s like the judges have never read the only thing they’re paid to enforce.

PS: The rules are only 1 page long. Either the judges are illiterate or unqualified or both.

Lord Grey likes this.
  19. Grandwizard666 Orange Belt

The sport is a few decades old now. There is ZERO reason why it still has boxing rejects and random guys selected from straw pulls at the athletic commission meetings to be the judges for the night. It hurts the sport so much but nobody wants to actually make the necessary changes

Coolkid666, DOMMA and AerialPingPong like this.
  20. jcuervo1 Yellow Belt

Yeah that robbery was up there! but...
    Jackson vs Ninja was probably the worst as even Jackson told ninja that he really won right after Jackson was announced as the winner! Jackson even looked into the camera and said
    " I didn't win that", Jackson has some integrity!
    I love me some PrideFC!

RightToBareKnuckles likes this.