Worst BJJ "Blackbelts" to ever compete in UFC.

Most dodgy "blackbelt".

• Total voters
Selected Diego, last win by actual submission was in 2004 when he was fighting under the KOTC banner. The guy quit using his offensive BJJ/wrestling a decade ago and became a sloppy brawler with a great chin.

spAT6JP.gif
Definitely this man

Was Mike Massenzio a bjj black belt? If so, I pick him.

Rashad is a great wrestler but I've never seen him use an oz of that "I got it after 3 years of training" bjj black belt he has.

Why is Diego on this list? The current Diego might be strange but the Nightmare used to destroy people on the ground.

I think Diego doesn't grapple or shoot much anymore because his knees are fucked up.

Selected Diego, last win by actual submission was in 2004 when he was fighting under the KOTC banner. The guy quit using his offensive BJJ/wrestling a decade ago and became a sloppy brawler with a great chin.

Go watch the Karo fight again. He threatened a lot with good ground transitions. Granted, that was in 2006 so the mileage on his body probably ruined his ability to grapple...

Go watch the Karo fight again. He threatened a lot with good ground transitions. Granted, that was in 2006 so the mileage on his body probably ruined his ability to grapple...
I agree, however there was a point post Parisian fight where Diego started doing a majority of his wrestling with his old High School rasslin team. Interestingly IIRC this was about the time he became more of a stand and bang guy in lieu of his ground game.

It’s different in MMA. It’s even different in nogi.

You can’t judge a guy’s movement when he’s getting punched in the face. BJJ is taught/trained as a sport, and MMA is completely different.
I’ve trained with guys who are absolute demons on the mat who looked lost in MMA fights.

Tons of BJJ world champs and Abu Dhabi medalists have been ineffective in MMA.
Elite wrestlers have also been shut down in MMA, even way back when Townsend Saunders struggled against Mikey Burnett.

Really? You use one of the most commonly known fixed fight in MMA history as a exemple of Kimo's greatness?

Um.... no.

I own a copy of this event, and contrary to what some others have said, this was not a pro wrestling event or match, but a Shootboxing event, (Shootboxing S-Cup 96 to be exact).

To put in perspective it would be like saying k1 had a fixed mma fight on one of their cards. (Shootboxing is/was a legitimate organization founded by kickboxer Ceaser Takahashi).

As for the fight itself... Kimo outweighed Sakaraba by a significant margin, had been training with Joe Morriera for a while by that point, and this was also Sakaraba's first full shoot.

If you watch the fight you can see Kimo land several hard headbutts, not to mention the fact that he completely dominated this fight, which would not have been the case had it simply been a stiff work, like much of the Rings matches in those days.

(A work would have had more of a logic, or back and forth flow to the fight.)

Obviously, Sakaraba was a better fighter than kimo, but every fighter is going to have some bad matchups, and prime roided out kimo, was simply too much for a rookie Sakaraba.

Remember, an almost untrained Kimo devestated Royce Gracie, it's not crazy to see that a much more experienced Kimo would be dangerous to a up and coming shoot-style pro wrestler.

I came in this thread thinking Jorge Gurgel would be #1 and he isn't even on the list. I guess Kimo since he was probably even worse than Gurgel at JJ.

Didn't know Kimo was a bjj blackbelt...yeah definitely him.

Vitor definitely wasn't a bjj bb when he first got into the UFC, I remember Rickson saying Vitor trained with him and would always tap and that he'd rate his bjj as a purple belt.
I think most of Kimo's wins are by submission..

Didn't know Kimo was a bb.

Gotta be Shogun though - got guillotined in the first round by Chael frickin Sonnen.
Chael actually has a decent jiu-jitsu game.. he is def better at no gi.

This list is pretty awful. This thread is exposing folks
Its a thread that never should have been made.

As if the ts knows what good bjj is.

A better way to put it is fighters who have high bjj credentials who dont/cant seem to put it to use in the cage as you would expect.

This thread just outright assumes the credentials are a complete fallacy with little to no knowledge to back it up.

Back