Worst and Best refs in the UFC

The English or Irish guy is usually pretty good. I forgot his name. But the fact that I don't know it means he stays away from controversy which reaffirms his talent.

Still think Yuji Shamada is the best referee ever, he never let a fight go too hard in PRIDE. As for UFC, probably big john or Rosenthal

Steve Percival has got to be the absolute worst ref I have seen. He stopped the Bigfoot/Hunt fight when Hunt was on the verge of finishing, mid punch combo, to check a cut on Bigfoot. Then on the Singapore card, he missed a groin shot and later LET A FIGHTER GET CHOKED OUT EVEN AFTER THEY TAPPED! Herb Dean stopping one early pales in comparison to bad reffing. He makes Mazzagati and Kim Winslow look like Herb Dean and Keith Peterson.

refs i like- herb dean, keith peterson, mirgliota, mike beltran (epic mustache ref), gary copeland cuz he looks like Brock.

refs i don't like- kim winslow, steve mazzagati, was never a big kevin mulhall fan either, steve percival

flip-flopper- mario yamasaki

The English or Irish guy is usually pretty good. I forgot his name. But the fact that I don't know it means he stays away from controversy which reaffirms his talent.

Yeah he is good I don't know his name either. I think rosenthal is by far the best.
Surprised people still think herb dean is one of the best, just because he does lots of title fights doesn't mean he's great. He's had some momental fuck ups over the years.
I actually don't mind mazzagatti he cops a lot of unfair flak.
Winslow is fuckin terrible.

mazzagatti is the worst. i prefer never to see any fights with him as the ref. big john is my pick for the best. he's an experienced and no-sense ref.

Best hair: Kim W

Best tan: Dan M

Best slip: Yves L (tito vs dragon)

Worst shoes: Herb D (so much dirty soles)

Worst injury: Big John M.

Worst fighting technique: Cecil P

BEST:

Big Jon

Dan Mirgliotta

John Rosenthal (When out of Jail)

Worst:

Herb Dean

Best:
Big John
Leon Roberts
Josh Rosenthal

Worst:
Winslow

Hopefully Never Refs Again:
Cecil Peoples

Mazzagatti is terrible as well but what annoys me about Yamasaki is that he never seems to keep a reasonable distance from the fighters in every match he refs, he's always way too close and it's distracting. He also DQ'ed Erick Silva for those punches to the back of the head, which was an absolute bullsh** call.

I think the refs get way too much hate. Take that Rothwell stoppage. The guy is just sitting there taking hard punches to the face i.e. not really intelligently defending himself. If he took five more punches and the lights went out people would be saying it was a late stoppage. How is the ref supposed to know that he is going to pop right up after being blasted numerous times? Unless there is a rule that says don't stop until a tap or the guy is unconcious there are always going to be unfortunate stoppages or non-stoppages as the ref attempts to interpret "intelligent defense." That is a very grey area.

Even in the infafmous Joe Warren stoppage he was arguably fighting intelligently until close to the end, mind you he was taking huge shots. He stayed on his feet, sorta kept his hands up and was moving around albeit in severe zombie mode. It wasn't like he turtled or something.

Best:

BJM

Rosenthal

Worse:

Cecil

Dean

Dan Mirogliotta let's you fight to the death as witnessed in Mir vs Carwin and Tavares vs Nurmagomedov. Herb stoppages are always questioned but ultimately it's better to stop a fight too soon than too late

Someone post the Rosenthal gif of him telling Mark Munoz to wake up or he's gonna stop the fight

It's funny how Herb Dean always gets the disclaimer "He's the best ref. He never makes mistakes".

Yet, that disclaimer is issued quite often.

Best

20121022050945_827Q1565.JPG

20090311081908_E80E6569.JPG

herb-dean-ufc-162.jpg

WORST

1 Australias pride......The one in the middle
John-Sharp-Steven-Perceval-and-Leon-Roberts-Support-Moose-HIde.jpg

5756960-375x413-1371430499.jpg

Back