Worse title performance: Costa vs. Izzy or Black Beast vs. Gane?

PlasticFishBowl

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Those are probably the two worst title showings I can remember for fights that had some hype. Which do you think was worse?

For my money, Paulo Costa had an all time terrible performance against Izzy.

Nothing will ever top Aldo at UFC 194

Ultimately this is the worst in UFC title fight history. But between the two TS listed, I think Gane vs Lewis was a worse performance, although the difference is that wasn't surprising at all while everyone at least expected Adesanya vs Costa to be competitive. And it made Costa duck from fighting for a long time.

A one sided destruction is not necessarily a bad fight. At least one of the two - Izzy in this case - had a great performance. BB vs Ngannou was worse because both were terrible.

Derrick Lewis performance looked terrible, that's because how amazing Gane is. So credit to Gane for making a guy like Black Beast look very predictable in that fight.

Costa looked pretty bad, but not as bad as Lewis though.

Black Beast was more proven than Costa yet got completely outclassed by Gane. Gane isn't known as a finisher in the UFC. Plus Lewis is more experienced than Gane.

Costa was less experienced than Izzy and was relatively unproven, other than his fight against Yoel. A fight that many people thought Yoel won.

So I would say Black Beast's fight performance was worse, though Costa was embarrassed badly postfight with the humping.

Conor/Aldo and GSP/Serra1 was probably the worst performances of a champion. Aldo got beaten by one punch in 13 seconds, whereas GSP tapped to strikes from a bloated midget LW BJJ guy.

I think Costa represents the greatest disparity between what was promised by the fighter/expected by the fans and what actually ended up happening.

I mean how can you not even bother training for leg-kicks. You'd have to be a complete joker to not drill checking leg kicks!!!
poirier-calf-kick-vs-mcgregor.gif

Darren Till has one of the worst ones. Did he even land a significant strike??

Maybe not worst, but most disappointing.

Anderson Silva vs Demian Maia.

Maia did everything he could to "bring the fight"

Anderson did everything he could do to avoid Maia putting a hand on him.

Yes Anderson had a game plan that worked... But it was totally FEAR BASED.

Maia is and even then was one of the most honorable and respected Martial Artists and Anderson really behaved poorly before, during and after the actual fight.

I still feel like Anderson owes me money for that mess of a fight.

Ronda vs Nunes was one of the worst starchings ever in the UFC. She never posed any threat and got blasted so bad she quit. It also one of my favorite mma moments now that i think about it lol.

Back