Worse than “tapping to strikes”?

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
First of all I got no problem with a fighter tapping to a submission, tapping to strikes, verbally quitting, not answering the bell for the next round, etc… I have always said that when a fighter is done he knows it and there is no need to take more punishment than needed.

Of course there is a good percentage of the sherdog meathead army who will try tell you that you’re a pussy if you tap to strikes that could potentially brain damage or kill you, but you’re still a G if you tap to someone twisting your toe.

Now I would imagine that most of these meatheads are also Nick Díaz fan girls, it just seems like the type that would be, the same crowd that likes to shit on GSP for tapping against Serra.

Now I don’t mind Nick, I was kinda hoping to see him do better, but I thought it was kinda funny that he ends up verbally quitting to the ref despite clearly being able to continue.

The tapping to strikes crowds main argument is that if you’re able to tap you’re obviously not out and you should still be in there trying to fight back and defend yourself. So what about when you’re fine, your opponent has backed away and given you all the space to recover, and you just tell the ref you don’t want anymore?

This was a lot worse that BJ quitting in between rounds or GSP tapping to Serra, yet I don’t see many meatheads calling it out cause it’s Nick Díaz.

{<Scared}

Be honest, was that not even worse than tapping to strikes by your own just bleed shertard metric?

Last edited:
Worse than tappping because it was pretty much just a “fuck this im out” kind of moment. Also maybe its just me but it looked like he was going to pretend he had a knee injury for a moment and decided not to so at least he didnt go through with that. Sad because if you asked me a year ago one fighter who never quits I would have said Nick Diaz.

He's mentally not in it. I'm not sure why he came back. Usually when you see old dogs coming back, they are doing so because they want to prove something. Nick didn't look like he had anything to prove. Maybe he needs the money? I have no idea.

He wasn't "fine" though.
He has some type of issue with his nose (broken?), and maybe other things going on. He had enough.

It's not some ppls fault they cant get KOed, if you feel like you cant go are you gonna continue to take years off your life so people on the internet dont call you a pussy? You have to take care of yourself, no one else will

He's mentally not in it. I'm not sure why he came back. Usually when you see old dogs coming back, they are doing so because they want to prove something. Nick didn't look like he had anything to prove. Maybe he needs the money? I have no idea.
Absolutely he needs the money. He did not want to fight and didnt even bother to get in shape, and how quick he was to submit to strikes shows this wasnt about proving anything, it was a paycheck.

Absolutely he needs the money. He did not want to fight and didnt even bother to get in shape, and how quick he was to submit to strikes shows this wasnt about proving anything, it was a paycheck.

Hope we don't see him taking fights for money and giving up immediately like Bob Sapp for the next decade.

If you are referring to Nick he landed 150 significant strikes in 11 minutes, that is 13.6 SLPM.

For context, the highest average SLPM (among fighters with five fights) record currently belongs to Sean O'Malley at 8.37 so Nick was landing over 5 more significant strikes a minute than the current record holder after a five year layoff.

That is more than anyone could have ever expected from Nick and while I am not a Diaz fan it is impossible to deny he gave a very good account of himself and put on a show. He was maintaining a Max Holloway pace for two straight rounds as a 38-year-old man on a five year layoff

Only a fool would continue in a fight with Robbie Lawler when they know that they no longer have the ability to intelligently defend themselves. Watch Lawler/McDonald II if you want to see the mental and physical depths Robbie is willing to go to if it means getting his hand raised; there is no doubt that guy is willing to literally die in there.

Robbie is not the guy you continue a war against when you are ill-equipped to continue and Diaz wisely bowed out; live to fight another day.

He wasn't "fine" though.
He has some type of issue with his nose (broken?), and maybe other things going on. He had enough.
I agree with you, unless you’re the type that talks shit about tapping to strikes, in which case you’d be a hypocrite.

Nick Diaz fights safely, books himself safely, and doesn't want to get hurt. He's a smart prize fighter.

If he were a smart prize fighter, he would have gotten himself into shape like he's capable of doing to reduce the risk of taking serious damage, and he would have promoted the fight better. He's not a smart prize fighter. He's in for the lazy cash grab.

Back