Opinion World War III - Will we have another worldwide large-scale military conflict?

World War III - Will we have another worldwide large-scale military conflict?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you think a full out worldwide large-scale military conflict will ever happen again? Or is the world too connected for it to happen? Or there just too much risk for high casualties?

I personally don't see a huge military conflict happening. People are too civilized nowadays for it to be full scale war like those other previous wars. The world is more connected now than ever before because of technology. And with the internet there is no borders.

One argument would say another military full out world war would be horrible. The weapons now are more devastating than ever before. A world war conflict would result in perhaps extremely high casualties.

Another argument would say are weapons are more precise. So the targeting of civilians would be less of a factor than the carpet bombings you see in previous world wars.

Maybe a world war military conflict won't have as much collateral damage. So therefore less civilian casualties.

I don't know, I'm obviously no expert.

Discuss

It would be extremely foolish to believe it couldn't. WW1 and WW2 were within 100 years of today. There are veterans from WW2 still alive. I'm sure they thought they were too civilized for a World War of that scale to happen back then too.

It can always happen. It's usually a domino effect but it can take one major event to spark it. Hateful ideologies will always exist and so will the desire for power. There is always the possibility of a Hitler rising to power again with the military capacity to carry out atrocities. There will always be the al Queda's of the world who want to enslave the planet under the rule of their horrible belief system.

Eventually, yes. Humanity has proven time and time again that if there is one singular thing they are good at as a whole, it's waging war. All the treaties signed before WW1 were meant to prevent a massive war, that didn't work. The treaty of Versailles and the creation of the League of Nations was meant to prevent ANOTHER world war. That failed on such an epic level 75+ million people were killed.

Now, in the beginnings of the 21st century, we are living in the most peaceful times humanity has ever known. But eventually the circle will come around again, someone will do something stupid and all hell will break loose. It's just a matter of when and where the fire will start that will probably spell the end of it all as the next massive war will make WW2 look like a minor hiccup in comparison. And there's not a damn thing you can do about it, because humanity is incapable of learning it's lessons and it's still only good at one thing overall. And that one thing, is war.

better start working on your social credit scores buds

I would like to say no, nothing like the scale of the previous world wars with all world powers involved. But I guess if we exist long enough, it's almost a certainty.

Yes.

The seeds of discontent have been planted..

The powers that be do not want unity...they would much rather have discord, tension....having us focus on our differences rather than what we have in common

World War III has already begun. You just dont realize it yet.

quote-world-war-iii-is-a-guerrilla-information-war-with-no-division-between-military-and-civilian-marshall-mcluhan-80-85-51.jpg

Millions of years of tribal warfare and in the last 50 years we have advanced beyond all that.

LOL

Not really a world war, Europe US and even China won't likely be fully involved.

Some third world shitholes turing the middle east India or parts of africa into one big war Sure sure but not like anyone else will care.

Millions of years of tribal warfare and in the last 50 years we have advanced beyond all that.

LOL

Yes the last 50 years have advanced humanity more than anytime in the history of mankind. We're more connected than ever.

I request that you add "I certainly hope so" as a poll option.

I think a regional war in the middle east. And a war in the Indian subcontinent are most likely along with civil wars and mass famine in Africa. I suppose all those together are global. However, I dont see one power or several trying to take over the world or anything compared to the cross continent and contiental takeover the Nazis and Japanese were on or Ottamans.

All the powers that could try such a thing have nuclear weapons and massive armies and Bio and chemical weapons. They also keep in check smaller powers.

Do you think a full out worldwide large-scale military conflict will ever happen again? Or is the world too connected for it to happen? Or there just too much risk for high casualties?

I personally don't see a huge military conflict happening. People are too civilized nowadays for it to be full scale war like those other previous wars. The world is more connected now than ever before because of technology. And with the internet there is no borders.

One argument would say another military full out world war would be horrible. The weapons now are more devastating than ever before. A world war conflict would result in perhaps extremely high casualties.

Another argument would say are weapons are more precise. So the targeting of civilians would be less of a factor than the carpet bombings you see in previous world wars.

Maybe a world war military conflict won't have as much collateral damage. So therefore less civilian casualties.

I don't know, I'm obviously no expert.

Discuss
Absolutely. But I think it will be a mistake, maybe even an automated response.

We were mere seconds away from nuclear annihilation several times during the Cold War due to miscommunication, technical/ radar errors, etc.

Mistakes and equipment errors and miscommunications happen and we've been lucky in interpreting them as mistakes or had soldiers/ officers on the ground disobeying or misleading their superiors (eg - the guy in the first story that thought the incoming missiles were an equipment error somehow 'lost contact' with his). All it takes is one day for us not to be lucky and humanity is gone. Imagine friendly fire for an instant. It's a mistake that happens all the time due to misjudging of data or equipment/ computer errors but luckily the consequences aren't as bad as nukes. One day, we'll make the same kind of mistake with worse weapons. As long as we have the ability to destroy all life on Earth, the probability of a fuck up setting off a massive nuclear exchange one day is, while unlikely to happen in any given year, also a certainty.

Here are some close calls we had during the Cold War:

1) 1983 - Several weeks after the downing of Korean Air Lines Flight 007 over Soviet airspace, a satellite early-warning system near Moscow reported the launch of one American Minuteman ICBM. Soon after, it reported that five missiles had been launched. Convinced that a real American offensive would involve many more missiles, Lieutenant Colonel Stanislav Petrov of the Air Defense Forces refused to acknowledge the threat as legitimate and continued to convince his superiors that it was a false alarm until this could be confirmed by ground radar.

2) 1979 - A computer error at NORAD headquarters led to alarm and full preparation for a nonexistent large-scale Soviet attack.[5] NORAD notified national security adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski that the Soviet Union had launched 250 ballistic missiles with a trajectory for the United States, stating that a decision to retaliate would need to be made by the president within 3 to 7 minutes. NORAD computers then placed the number of incoming missiles at 2,200.[18] Strategic Air Command was notified, and nuclear bombers prepared for takeoff. Within six to seven minutes of the initial response, satellite and radar systems were able to confirm that the attack was a false alarm.[7][19] It was found that a training scenario was inadvertently loaded into an operational computer.

source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_close_calls

Last edited:
For sure, once we figure out a way to fight one.

The way I see it going down, is countries with nuclear weapons using countries without nuclear weapons as proxies to fight their battles (see the Middle East).

Another scenario is that we eventually find a way to nullify the potential of WMDs, opening up the chance to fight wars on a comfortable scale.

When the fight for Earth's last remaining resources and hospitable regions begins, it's going to get ugly. Right now we're all just trying to put ourselves in the best possible position.

For sure, once we figure out a way to fight one.

The way I see it going down, is countries with nuclear weapons using countries without nuclear weapons as proxies to fight their battles (see the Middle East).

Another scenario is that we eventually find a way to nullify the potential of WMDs, opening up the chance to fight wars on a comfortable scale.

When the fight for Earth's last remaining resources and hospitable regions begins, it's going to get ugly. Right now we're all just trying to put ourselves in the best possible position.

Next most likely war in europe will be natives versus certain just arrived people when their numbers will go up.

Like yugo war but bigger in size

Things are happening exactly the same as before that war

Next most likely war in europe will be natives versus certain just arrived people when their numbers will go up.

A lot of immigrants have gotten ahead of schedule and hauled ass before their countries truly turn to shit.

Problem is that there's obviously a limited carrying capacity to the "good" societies, and they'll rapidly go to shit when over-loaded beyond that capacity

Chances are that this sort of behaviour is going to ruin everything in the end. We'll just keep looking for a better place to live in, forgoing our responsibility to actually change things for the better, until there's no place left to run.

A lot of immigrants have gotten ahead of schedule and hauled ass before their countries truly turn to shit.

Problem is that there's obviously a limited carrying capacity to the "good" societies, and they'll rapidly go to shit when over-loaded beyond that capacity

Chances are that this sort of behaviour is going to ruin everything in the end. We'll just keep looking for a better place to live in, forgoing our responsibility to actually change things for the better, until there's no place left to run.

When people say that they will just move to another country i just ask where could you go lol

Like if western europe goes up in flames where do go?

America canada- assuming they will take refugees

Eastern europe- very big drop in life quality money wise

Asia- maybe

South america- again drop in life quality from economic perspective

Back