World Rankings are so UFC centric now

jsilv0

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I haven't logged into Sherdog in a long time, but I came back today to look at their rankings and honestly what happened? The rankings used to have a good, honest assessment of talent from all organizations, but now they are so heavily UFC leaning. Examples:

1) Not UFC specific, but how is Vadim Nemkov ranked at LHW, but not Jiri Prochazka? Prochazka stopped Nemkov.

2) No Michael Chandler or Patricio Pitbull in the lightweight and featherweight rankings?

3) Eddie Alvarez is still top 5 at lightweight, the guy who just beat him in One isn't even sniffing the rankings.

4) One in general is getting the shaft. Other than Mighty Mouse and Andrea Lee I don't recall a single fighter in the rankings.

5) No Illima-Lei Macfarlane at Flyweight. Really?

6) Phil Davis has wins over multiple guys in the LHW rankings, (MW too if you look at Machida) and isn't there.

1) Not UFC specific, but how is Vadim Nemkov ranked at LHW, but not Jiri Prochazka? Prochazka stopped Nemkov.

When Prochazka fought Nemkov, both were unranked, irrelevant and haven't got any significant Ws
2) No Michael Chandler or Patricio Pitbull in the lightweight and featherweight rankings?

True that. Pure BS.
3) Eddie Alvarez is still top 5 at lightweight, the guy who just beat him in One isn't even sniffing the rankings.

The weight category was 170
4) One in general is getting the shaft. Other than Mighty Mouse and Andrea Lee I don't recall a single fighter in the rankings.

Because of their weight categories. Each has 10 lbs higher limit and don't fit sherdog rankings.

She's #2 :)
6) Phil Davis has wins over multiple guys in the LHW rankings, (MW too if you look at Machida) and isn't there.

Well, he lost to then-unranked Nemkov.

I'll add you more bullshits:
- Anthony Smith ranked above Ryan Bader.
- Hermansson was unranked before Jacare fight, and now he's #5, instead of sending both of them to lower top 10;
- Fitch is not ranked after a fight with Rory;
- Hiromasa Ogikubo, the best FLW outside of UFC after Mighty Mouse and Horiguchi, unranked
- Valerie Letorneau got dropped from the rankings after losing to Ilima

When Prochazka fought Nemkov, both were unranked, irrelevant and haven't got any significant Ws

True that. Pure BS.

The weight category was 170

Because of their weight categories. Each has 10 lbs higher limit and don't fit sherdog rankings.

She's #2 :)

Well, he lost to then-unranked Nemkov.

I'll add you more bullshits:
- Hermansson was unranked before Jacare fight, and now he's #5, instead of sending both of them to lower top 10;
- Fitch is not ranked after a fight with Rory;
- Hiromasa Ogikubo, the best FLW outside of UFC after Mighty Mouse and Horiguchi, unranked
- Valerie Letorneau got dropped from the rankings after losing to Ilima

I don't know how to do the fine editing you did so excuse me here.

1) Prochazka has still be on a tear since then. He beat Karl Albrektsson who also beat Nemkov, and just beat King Mo on top of other wins.

3 and 4) Fair enough, forgot about the weights, but still you can rank One's "featherweights" in the same class as the rest of the world's lightweights, etc.

5) Totally missed that

6) Davis should be in there over a lot of those other guys.

Your notes:
1) Smith above a lot of guys here is bullshit. He hasn't really beaten anyone other than Volkan.
2) Agreed
3) I'm pretty ok with not ranking Fitch, he has a PED bust and some losses lately with his only notable win being Paul Daley.
4) I think you overrate Ogikubo. He's lost 2 of his last 4, but I think he should be in the lower tier of the rankings, sure.
5) Valerie probably shouldn't have been ranked very highly too begin with. Another one that would be in the bottom part of the rankings if present.

I haven't logged into Sherdog in a long time, but I came back today to look at their rankings and honestly what happened? The rankings used to have a good, honest assessment of talent from all organizations, but now they are so heavily UFC leaning. Examples:

1. Nemkov beat Davis who was ranked in the top 10 recently, Jiri beat Nemkov 10 fights ago and Nemkov wasn't ranked highly. Ranking Jiri over Nemkov doesn't make sense.

2. You have a point they should be ranked.

3. Alvarez should be ranked in the 8-15 range.

4. Who should be ranked in the top 10 from One other than MM, Andrea Lee and Timofey?

5. Who has she beaten that's in the top 15?

6. You have a point he should be ranked.

2) No Michael Chandler o

The deal is that Chandler lost to Primus who wasn't anywhere near a Top 10 position at the time. Given that LW is the most stacked divisions in MMA, that makes re-entry difficult, especially since his recent competition haven't been all that stellar.

Now? it's been like that since a decade or so. It is a bit glaring how as world MMA becomes more and more deep, the 'MMA Media' are are more and more narrowly focused on the UFC though.

1) Jiri absolutely should be ranked, and ranked above Nemkov. He beat Nemkov, and beat the other guy Nemkov lost to.

4) Bibiano Fernandes for sure deserves to be ranked. As does Adriano Moraes.

1) Jiri absolutely should be ranked, and ranked above Nemkov. He beat Nemkov, and beat the other guy Nemkov lost to.

4) Bibiano Fernandes for sure deserves to be ranked. As does Adriano Moraes.
I don't know about over Nemkov his win over Davis is such a huge leap, jiri can't just piggyback his way up the rankings through Nemkov accomplishments. But they should be closely ranked jiri like everyone beat ol moe (even though I've noticed how shot he is for years most of sherdog will say he's still relevant so jiri should get the respect of a good win and rank).

At the end of the day inter org rankings even in org rankings cannot be perfect because there always a high need for speculation and assessment of when a fighter’s win is stale vs recent work.

Maybe Rizin has better talent than Bellator? Look at how bad the Bellator guys have done in Rizin. Rizin sent Cro Cop over and he beat Nelson. It's entirely possible

Also, Mousasi should be ranked second, after Whittaker.

3) I'm pretty ok with not ranking Fitch, he has a PED bust and some losses lately with his only notable win being Paul Daley.
4) I think you overrate Ogikubo. He's lost 2 of his last 4, but I think he should be in the lower tier of the rankings, sure.

3. Fitch has just beat Rory. The only judge that judged a winner scored it for Fitch. Even in a draw. A draw over champ Rory is enough to get in the ranks.
What losses has Fitch lately? He is 8-1 only loss to a major PED user in Palhares.
Also wins over Okami, Shields, Zeferino or the aforemention Rory are as good if not better wins than Daley in my book, who is also a good win. Fitch certainly may deserve a spot in the ranks

4. Its also about how you win and lose. Based on performamces, I think Ogikubo definitely should be ranked at FLW

The Internet rankings are horrible and totally UFC biased.

I dont even pay attention to sherdog rankings .There are too many inconsistencies but this is subjective by nature.
The USA today are thee most referenced rankings out there where many reputable mma sites use as their monthly reference... with good reason. " For the most part", they seem to be pretty fair. I even see some headscratchers on theirs but " for the most part" are good operative words.
Rankings in mma- especially- are so subjective which I kind of like and the fact that more betting underdogs (combat sports where theres just a straight money line) that win in mma than in most sports.

It kind of validates the subjective nature to whomever is making their rankings.

The rankings would be much more realistic if they ranked ONE fighters against UFC fighters.
I.e. ONE flyweights (135 without dehydration) and UFC flyweights (125 dehydrated) in the same list.

After all, they are the same size.

Less crossover between leagues so harder to compare. The media creating these things is also American.

Nobody can be bothered to keep up with this stuff anymore. Watching 5 UFC events a week just takes up too much time. There's no time to watch anything else.

There's always been a pretty clear bias, I used to pay attention to them but haven't looked at them in years, this is probably the first thread I've seen on them in years too so I'm not alone.

The whole Phil Davis thing just tells the whole story...
Fighter X(top 5) loses to fighter Y(unranked) in UFC, expect X to drop maybe one or two places while Y becomes top 5. Same thing happens outside, Y becomes an 'other contender' at best, X is no longer seen.

They used to have a one year rule, you don't fight within a year and you're booted. They conveniently(and quietly) dropped it so they could rank Lesnar for beating Coutures old ass. They couldn't wait to rank Brock as number 1 once Fedor lost to Werdum, it's always been a fucking joke.

All in all, I think it's just a popularity contest more than anything.
It's unfortunate, gives fair weather UFC only fans no reason to leave their hugbox and broaden their horizons but real fans don't need rankings to know who are the best.

Last edited:
Now that's some BS. Bader is 12-1 in his last fights with wins over Cavalcante, OSP, Davis x2, Rashad, Latifi, Lil Nog, and some HWs as a bonus.

How did one ever motivate putting Smith above him, when he hasn't lost since the Rumble fight in early 2016.
They used to have a one year rule, you don't fight within a year and you're booted.
I think that was kind of confusing.
I mean, a guy like Whittaker would be off the rankings by next month if that rule was active.
It's super confusing cause everyone knows people would still think he was top dog, so removing him just feels like pretending.
Not a good ranking if you have to explain it "Well, it says X is #2, but he's really #3, cause the real #1 has been inactive for 1 year"

Back