1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

World Oyama

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Check123, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Check123

Check123 Guest

They recently opened a world Oyama dojo a couple of miles from my house. From what I have researched about koykushin karate it looks really legit. I

2. Linkuei

Linkuei Mayor of Bootyville

I would love to be in your shoes right now. There is no Kyokushin around my area were I am at. Kyokushin is the strongest Karate and has less empahsis on kata but you still learn it. They focus on real aspect of contact fighting.

I would def try it out man.

3. shinkyoku

shinkyoku Brown Belt

No telling about that particular dojo (especially as it is brand new), but world Oyama as a style is legit knockdown karate. A splintergroup from Kyokushin with very good reputation.

Expect had training and hard fighting.
    They do standard knockdown karate (oldschool kyokushin style fighting). Bareknuckle fighting. Punches and elbows are restricted to below the neck only. Knees and kicks anywhere.
    "Points" are given for knocking the opponent down and/or out.

The only real problem with WOK is that they are still a pretty small group internationally, and as such the talent pool is small aswell.

4. Mehmedagic

Mehmedagic Purple Belt

go for it. im doing my brownbelt grading test in december, started with karate when i was eight. Best thing i ever did.

you'll get conditioning, sparring, and lots of fun.

Osu!

5. robin101

robin101 White Belt

whos shigeru oyama, is that masutatsu oyama?

And of I see another bloody Youtube vid with the requiem for a dream music on it im gona puke.

But yea kyokushin is awsome. Any branch. Do it. good training.

6. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

Kyokushin is no joke, the ultimate truth my friend. Jump on that opportunity.

7. shinkyoku

shinkyoku Brown Belt

Shigeru Oyama is one of the earliest students of Masutastu Oyama. There is no blood relation, just the same name. Actually, When Masutatsu first came to japan, he moved in and lived with a korean family already there. That family was Shigeru

8. RyanR

RyanR Black Belt

Kyokushin is a VERY legit TMA.

If your looking for a striking art then yeah go for it. Only downside is I'm quite sure they don't train punches (full power at least) to the head though.

9. Hotora86

Hotora86 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Go for it!

Kyokushin and Shotokan (JKA) are the best two Karate styles you can learn IMO.
    Expect really hardcore training sessions, a lot of sweat and bruises but very good shape and resistance to body blows in a few years.

Famous MMA guys from Kyokushin:
    Bas Rutten
    GSP
    Katsunori Kikuno

10. karatefoo

karatefoo they trained me wrong, as a joke!

I got a question about Oyama Karate:

I keep reading holding is not allowed but then I see they hold? Can someone clarify this? Would a MT style hold be considered illegal?

11. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

Kyokushin is IMO the most painful sport.

12. shinkyoku

shinkyoku Brown Belt

MT clinch hold would definitely be illegal.
    World oyama knockdown rules (unlike kyokushin knockdown rules) allows grabbing & hooking if it is immediately followed by a technique and then release. This is allowed for, as the rule says, a split second only.
    you are not allowed to grab and hold, or grab and throw repeated techniques. But it depends on what the referee tolerates, I guess.

Originally this was how it was with kyokushin back in the days, but over time all grabbing was banned (partially because it stalled the fights as fighters in trouble clinced and was broken apart, and partially because it caused big problems for small Japanese fighters vs large European fighters when they got caught and the knees started to land).
    Other kyokushin offshoots has modified the rules differently to put their own flavour to it..
    Seidokaikan used to do something similar to world oyama, but I am not sure how they do now ot if they have removed grabs too.
    Shidokan knockdown rules allow short periods of holding and even full MT clinch (I think the referee count to 3 or 5 loudly, then you have to let go). Enshin and ashihara knockdown rules allows longer grabs, but not with both hands.