World maps

Your Account

reacted to your score
@Silver
Reaction score
Now that we are grownups , don't you think it's weird all major maps are still in this ratio :
world-countries-outline-map-black-and-white.gif

while reality is this :

For some reason there’s a bunch of confused emojis ITT, but I feel you TS. Yeah, it’s really fucking weird that it’s been this way for so long.
For those who don’t understand what TS is saying, the world maps we typically see are not drawn to scale. Like, in reality Africa is really fucking big for example. Canada and the U.S. on the maps are made to appear larger than they really are in relation to other countries.
DF891EAF-134F-4711-B03D-BB24B81C6A4F.jpeg

Yes...to be clear, the dark regions of the 2nd map illustrates the 'true' scale, while the lighter area is what maps commonly (incorrectly) show.

i.e., the northern continents have typically been overstated relative to the southern ones...Africa is actually a fair bit larger than all of North America, Greenland is nowhere near Africa's size, etc.

For some reason there’s a bunch of confused emojis ITT, but I feel you TS. Yeah, it’s really fucking weird that it’s been this way for so long.
For those who don’t understand what TS is saying, the world maps we typically see are not drawn to scale. Like, in reality Africa is really fucking big for example. Canada and the U.S. on the maps are made to appear larger than they really are in relation to other countries.
View attachment 895001

What's all them fancy words mean? Simplfy it for us Flat Earthers.

There's no "correct" way to project a spherical surface into a rectangle.

The less distorted one is that projection that is all cut near the poles, forgot the name.

There's no "correct" way to project a spherical surface into a rectangle.

The less distorted one is that projection that is all cut near the poles, forgot the name.
Going off memory without googling: Mercator was the originall one with the distorted regions. Can't recall what the more accurate one is.

ITT, the pathetic state of American education exposed.

Last edited:
Hello,

Africa is cool.

Thank you,

-Tankeray

Back