Workout Advice

MMA Fun

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Ok so Im back in the gym, haven't lifted a weight in nearly 2 years and have just been wrestling and boxing so I have been active and doing body weight stuff in training.
My goal is to gain some size, quality size.

So for the first 3 weeks Im going to be training 3 times and doing this workout to get my body use to it.

Squat 3x12
Bench press " "
Military press " "
Bent over rows " "
Pull ups " "
Skull crashers " "
Barbell curls " "

After this time period I want to start with the rippitoes sp? program.
What does everyone think, any opinions and advice welcome.

Ok so Im back in the gym, haven't lifted a weight in nearly 2 years and have just been wrestling and boxing so I have been active and doing body weight stuff in training.

So for the first 3 weeks Im going to be training 3 times and doing this workout to get my body use to it.

Squat 3x12
Bench press " "
Military press " "
Bent over rows " "
Pull ups " "
Skull crashers " "
Barbell curls " "

I would just start the Rippetoe Starting Strength program. Just go light for the first couple of weeks.

I would just start the Rippetoe Starting Strength program. Just go light for the first couple of weeks.

Yeah.

MMAFun, what's the purpose of doing the bodybuilder-style routine initially? I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't see the point.

Squat 3x12
Bench press " "
Military press " "
Bent over rows " "
Pull ups " "
Skull crashers " "
Barbell curls " "

I think doing a couple of weeks with higher reps is in order. But I if you do, I would just do the starting strength routine, keep the weights low and work on form.

Well I thought that probablly by doing moderate weight in higher reps I'd just get my body use to it, im still a bit sore from my last workout but then again its only my 5th session so far.

Throw some chin ups or pull ups in there. And power cleans, if you're a fighter.

Well I thought that probablly by doing moderate weight in higher reps I'd just get my body use to it, im still a bit sore from my last workout but then again its only my 5th session so far.

I agree that it's a good idea to ease into things. If you haven't been lifting recently, you're probably going to end up sore no matter what.

Put it this way, I doubt that three weeks with your current routine wll do any real harm, but you'll have to make some adjustments -- physical psychological -- when you switch to the Rippetoe program.

It just seems easier to start with the Rippetoe program, use low poundages for a couple of weeks while you get accustomed to everything, then gradually ramp things up.

Squat 3x12
Bench press " "
Military press " "
Bent over rows " "
Pull ups " "
Skull crashers " "
Barbell curls " "

How about dip to replace skull crusher and close-grip pull up to replace barbell curl? since the compound movements are more favorable for gaining size than isolation movements.

Yeah.

MMAFun, what's the purpose of doing the bodybuilder-style routine initially? I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't see the point.

There is nothing body-builder style about it. It is just a straight up old-school style routine and it WILL work, whether you want to build muscle or just get stronger. Although, for best results, you should add one more lower body movement, such as a deadlift or RDL, which can be done right before the "arm" exercises. Ease into a linear periodization scheme for about 8 weeks and you should see great results. You could try something like 3x12 for 2 weeks, 4x8 for 2 weeks, 5x5 for 2 weeks, and 6x3 for 2 weeks. Try to increase the weight every week. If lifting 3 times a week, I would perhaps make at least one day a week a "light day", using less weight and focusing on form and speed.

Good luck.

How about dip to replace skull crusher and close-grip pull up to replace barbell curl? since the compound movements are more favorable for gaining size than isolation movements.

He is doing plenty of compound work for the upper body, a couple of isolation exercises will not hurt anything. More lower body stuff would be nice though.

Once again thanxs for all the advice guys, and one last questions wat does RDL mean?? rear dead lift?
And by dead lift is it straight leg(romanian)? or the other one?

Once again thanxs for all the advice guys, and one last questions wat does RDL mean?? rear dead lift?
And by dead lift is it straight leg(romanian)? or the other one?

RDL = Romanian deadlift.

And chia may be correct about me mischaracterizing your 3 x 12 routine as a bodybuilder-style routine. I don't know a whole hell of a lot and probably shouldn't be painting with a broad brush.

RDL = Romanian deadlift.

And chia may be correct about me mischaracterizing your 3 x 12 routine as a bodybuilder-style routine. I don't know a whole hell of a lot and probably shouldn't be painting with a broad brush.

Well... It is an ok program if you are just starting out. No reason to not do a 5x5 but if you need some size—and some people really do [mememe]—then its ok but there is far too much isolation for a beginner program even if it were for BB.

UND WO IST DEIN DEADLIFTS DUMKOPF?!

Well... It is an ok program if you are just starting out. No reason to not do a 5x5 but if you need some size—and some people really do [mememe]—then its ok but there is far too much isolation for a beginner program even if it were for BB.

UND WO IST DEIN DEADLIFTS DUMKOPF?!

Are you fucking serious?

2 much isolation movements?? I can only see 2 that being the barbell curls and the skull crushers.

Back