Working out while sick...

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by neosamurai1979, Aug 9, 2005.

1. neosamurai1979

neosamurai1979 Blue Belt

Do you guys work out/train while you're sick? Is this advisable? I've been feeling like shit the past day or so and it's been killing me not to work out....

Your thoughts?

2. tiny_pup

tiny_pup King Carl! Banned

Well, if you have a fever and some kind of infection it can be quite harmful as well as potentially deadly to exercise too hard.
    Then you'd probably be better off taking a couple of days off.

If you're just slightly nauseous or such you probably can exercise, but go easy on yourself.

3. trooper77

trooper77 Orange Belt

Training through head colds is fine--in fact I often feel better after I've run while having congestion--it seems to loosen everything up. Training through fevers is always discouraged.

4. muerteverde

muerteverde Black Belt

The general rule is if you don't have a fever and nothing is sick bellow the head, you can train. If it isbellow your head, take time off or you will make it worse. I am sick right now and am resting as much as I can. I felt really bad yesetrday and don't want to delay my recovery by doing anything stupid.

5. Duncon76

Duncon76 Blue Belt

I would not. Your body has enough to do. But i would do something light to sweat alot and drink tons of fluids.

6. Pale1

Pale1 Blue Belt

I work out thru my sickness, except I do not lift heavy I do reps or Cardio. It acvtually makes me feel better.

7. Lusst

Lusst Red Belt

Ditto.

8. Suqa_MaDeek

Suqa_MaDeek Yellow Belt

I've noticed from experience that I would develop bronchitis if I train while being sick. It's to have a nasty cough that lasts for weeks because I didn't take the proper precaution and rested until I was fully ready.

9. Big Fight Fan

Big Fight Fan Yellow Belt

From my personal experience if I was ok to hit the weights or run even with a cold I'd do it. Problem is I always would pay for it for the days to come. I say give yourself a day. My immune system is pretty crappy though, I get sick from lack of sleep. At one point in time I didn't get a bad cold or the flu for about 18 months just because I got in the habit of getting 8 hours a day.

10. infamy

infamy Purple Belt

i've for the most part always worked out when sick... i dont think its horrible, but its not great for you.

11. Nihilistic

Nihilistic Black Belt

i got bronchitis right now, my cardio has gone to shit but i still lift.

12. Heng

Heng White Belt

Do LIGHT work when sick. This will help spur you back to health if done properly. Go through the motions of your training, but without over-exerting yourself. Speed walk, or lightly run. Don't do anything that will put your body further in a state of deficiency.

13. Hazenali

Hazenali White Belt

Personally if I have a cold/flu (not to serious) I like to jump on the treadmill and sweat it out, come home shower and go to bed. Works every time. Drink tons of OJ and liquids also helps.

14. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Black Belt

x2 :icon_chee

15. Senshi

Senshi Brown Belt

i have had a cold for the past ocuple of days actually and i've been running. its a little bit harder since i cant breathe througout my nose. i say continue unless its something you need rest for like the flu