Working out: Whats all the fuss about?

SportsScience

White Belt
Reaction score
Ive been at this for only a few years (4 going on 5). I train in kickboxing and straight boxing 90% of the time and spice it up with mma and bjj when i get bored and need a little motivation.

What i wanted to talk about with this thread was that i keep my workouts very simple and follow some basic rules that i find work for me.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday i do a heavy full body workout lifting the most i can for 6-8 reps never repeating the same excercise. Granted i do work the same muscle groups just different excercises. I do this with no rest and for a full hour. Pushing the reps out with as much speed and control that i can muster.

This is a workout plan losely modeled on one from Mark Hatmaker. Where he works out for 30 minutes with a dumbell.

My workout incorperates some of his routine with some basics (bicep curls, bench press ect) added on.

My logic is im trying to replicate a fighting situation. We spar on friday nights for an hour and a half and i want to be able to go though the whole thing at full speed all out balls to the wall.

My question is, will this help with my goal of trying to go all out on friday nights sparing or should i be changing things?

Last edited:
After the weight workout i do half an hour on the bags trying for speed over power. Then i do an 1 and a half hour class.

So what exactly is your question or point? Whatever it is, you should probably consult the FAQs in the stickies.

actually, i think i get it. is this supposed to be your log? you might want to PM a mod to ask if you can create a log ( i don't think whitebelts can)

Ive been at this for only a few years (4 going on 5). I train in kickboxing and straight boxing 90% of the time and spice it up with mma and bjj when i get bored and need a little motivation.

What i wanted to talk about with this thread was that i keep my workouts very simple and follow some basic rules that i find work for me.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday i do a heavy full body workout lifting the most i can for 6-8 reps never repeating the same excercise. Granted i do work the same muscle groups just different excercises. I do this with no rest and for a full hour. Pushing the reps out with as much speed and control that i can muster.

This is a workout plan losely modeled on one from Mark Hatmaker. Where he works out for 30 minutes with a dumbell.

My workout incorperates some of his routine with some basics (bicep curls, bench press ect) added on.

My logic is im trying to replicate a fighting situation. We spar on friday nights for an hour and a half and i want to be able to go though the whole thing at full speed all out balls to the wall.

My question is, will this help with my goal of trying to go all out on friday nights sparing or should i be changing things?

Read FAQ
Were is the thought behind an hr of light trainign ? Did you just double that other persons ? Read stickies at the top of the forum

If you want good cardio for sparring then you should train cardio for sparring. Typical exercises would be intervalls on the heavy bag, burpees combined with shadowboxing or regular high intensity intervalls on the track or bike etc. Hitting the weights is not the most optimal way to get great fight stamina.

I read threads in here all day long and everyone's answer is read the faq's everyone acts like everything you ever needed to know is in there. There is good info but what is the point of even having a forum to discuss anything if the answers are all included in the faq?

I read threads in here all day long and everyone's answer is read the faq's everyone acts like everything you ever needed to know is in there. There is good info but what is the point of even having a forum to discuss anything if the answers are all included in the faq?

Heretic! Burn the witch! :D

But srs: the FAQ has alot of general knowledge that everyone can benefit from, and had they read/consulted it, they would not create threads about throwing around a dumbell for an hour.

TS, maybe try mixing burpees and shadow/bag boxing.

Last edited:
So you are doing 8 reps of different exercises back to back nonstop for an hour without any breaks? That's at minmum 3 exercises a minute in 60 minutes for a total of 180 different exercises. I'm not sure I even know 180 different exercises. If you just did an hour of hard manual labor instead you could probably have the same intensity and achieve something beyond just a workout. Just throwing that out there since you seem like the unconventional type

It might let you go "all out" for longer.

It probably won't make you stronger other than in the area of strength endurance, and absolute strength may (or may not) drive improvement in your core sport.

This forum is designed for strength and conditioning discussion, but most people who come in here are uneducated about proper strength and conditioning. Thus, when someone comes in and mentions "bicep curls, bench press" as their basic lifts but fail to mention squats, it will make most regulars here go hmm.

A good start for most people new to this forum would be to consult the FAQ and if they still had questions, or had something unique to add, then we could have discussions.

That sounds more like conditioning than strength training.

TS, you say you want to replicate a fight situation but last time I checked most fights aren't an hour long. There's nothing wrong with using weights for conditioning work but you would be better off using better programming.

What is the point of this thread? Do you want advice on your routine? Are you asking if what you are doing is good?

TS you seemed confused. If you are using weights to simulate a fight situation then shouldn't your 'weight training' last as long as a round and actually simulate the sort of muscles used, tire flips, hammer swings etc.

If you want to get stronger for combat sports then do something simple like starting strength which focus on overall strength which should carry over into your chosen sport.

You seemed to have a half arsed mix of random exercises and no real direction or goal.

*edited for fear of dubbs*

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is a link to a pretty reasonable approach to strength training for MMA.

Muscle Dog

Ok, thanks for the help guys. I think ill re work my routine to incorperate some kettle bell excercises, heavy bag work and some plyometric excercises.

I want to do it for an hour because im training specificly for the sparring we do at my gym that go's for an hour and a half not for fights that will go for 30 minutes. I dont train for rounds because i do not want to rely on getting that rest. Now you could say that i should be training for an hour and thirty minutes but i have found that i cant reach that mark yet.

The lack of respect and acceptance here is astonishing and appaling.

Thanks to all those who helped. I hope i can do the same for you in the future.

Michael.

Ok, thanks for the help guys. I think ill re work my routine to incorperate some kettle bell excercises, heavy bag work and some plyometric excercises.

I want to do it for an hour because im training specificly for the sparring we do at my gym that go's for an hour and a half not for fights that will go for 30 minutes. I dont train for rounds because i do not want to rely on getting that rest. Now you could say that i should be training for an hour and thirty minutes but i have found that i cant reach that mark yet.

The lack of respect and acceptance here is astonishing and appaling.

Thanks to all those who helped. I hope i can do the same for you in the future.

Michael.

I don't think someone recommending reading the FAQ's is a sign of disrespect or non-acceptance. It genuinely IS a really good place to start, and one can find a lot of good ideas and answers to age old questions.
You want to go all out on Fridays when you spar for an hour and a half. As you probably no, nothing is going to prepare you for that like sparring for long periods of time. Obviously doing a shitload of high intensity cardio is going to get your lungs and heart ready for such sessions. Having strength and power available can also help.
Replicating a fighting scenario in the weight room is very difficult to do.
But going non-stop for an hour is a good start.
Mimicking full body movements you might make in a fight should help.
I like things like burpees, but I'm a grappler.
Only you really no what your fighting style is, and which "mimicking" weight room or cardio training movements might help you out. Do curls really make you a better boxer that can last 90 minutes during sparring? If so keep them, if not; jettison them.
My advice, for whatever it's worth, is to emulate your fighting style as much as you can in your weight room sessions.
Just remember, however, pure strength and power is not going to come from random and fast dumbbell stuff. You gotta move some heavy shit around. It doesn't sound like strength and power is your goal though. If I understand correctly, you're after cardio.
Check out the FAQ's, and go from there.

Back