Working out on a boat for 3 weeks

dirtyduztin

White Belt
Reaction score
I work on a boat on the ohio river for 3 weeks at a time. There is no equipment other than a treadmill. What I'm asking is is convict conditioning the best option to work out in my situation? Maybe add some burpees in there too? If not feel free to throw out some suggestions. Thanks

I dont know what is in convict conditioning but yes bodyweight stuff. Pistol squats, burpees, single leg SLDLs with odd objects, chin ups, push ups and their variations are what Id focus on. Maybe do the harder and unilateral exercises first in a few sets, like 3x15 reps or whatever you're capable of, then move to "easier" exercises like squats, push ups, and mountain climbers in a circuit, or just burpees, and do them for timed rounds with set rest intervals, trying to increase the reps you do each round, making the rounds longer, or adding more rounds. You could also set a total number of reps and try to decrease the amount of time you do them in- say 75 burpees total, the first time you do it, it might take you 10 minutes. The second time aim for less than 10 minutes, and so on.

Is the boat going to be rocking and moving much while you're working out? If yes, that sounds like it would be real functional

Are there any large chains or any large-diameter rope that you could pick up and move around?

Access to an anchor?

body weight squats, burpees, pushups.

I do take a doorway pull-up bar so pullups are part of my workout already. When I work my schedule is 6 hours on 6 hours off so sleep is important too. I was thinking 3 days of convict conditioning with descending sets of burpees and add Treadmill sprints 2 days a week. Maybe Monday Wednesday Friday would be enough doing the sprints on Mondays and Fridays

Swim? Obvious joke is obvious.

Try to find some odd object, and try to put it over your head or lift it in some way.
You have an anchor on board? Deadlift it. Not completely serious, but im sure you'll find something heavy. Maybe a bag filled with something? use your imagination. + pullups, push ups, planks, etc.

Oh, and I really hate t-pain. freakin robot

Next time you are set to go out ask if you can bring a couple sandbags. Buy real big heavy duty ones. The capt should care as it's not like a kettlebell that will dent the deck or make noise, and they can sit on deck somewhere. You can do OHP, farmers carries, squats in fact there are whole workouts online for sandbags. it is cheap and replacable.

When I crewed a sailboat, I stayed in decent shape just by not taking any shortcuts - used winches as little as possible when pulling sheets or halyards, did it all by hand.

Other good boat workouts -

If you can get some ~2" 3 or 4 strand nylon line, say 50-100 yd, practice coiling into fathom length loops with your arms mostly extended- hold coil in one hand while drawing loops in the other by extending to your wingspan, join hands in front of your chest arms extended, add length to coils, repeat. Alternate hands holding the coil.

If you can't find a place to do pullups, you can probably use a piece of similar size line somewhere around an upper deck stanchion for rope pullups.

Back