working out of tie up?

Token7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What is the proper or most effective for you way to work OUT of a clinch in boxing? I see some guys even floyd in the examples I have kind if getting low and sticking their forehead right under the guys chin and freeing their arms.... in pure wrestling terms this is great and secures and angle but in boxing isnt this an easy way to get hit especially with uppercuts? examples right here:

theres a ton more examples in this fight especially the longer it goes...it just seemed whenever they tied up floyds immediate action was get his head lower in the chin/chest area and either let his hands go or the ref broke up... even if its from the best in the world is this safe?

If you can clinch well in one sport, the same principles apply. Get the superior grips/hand positioning, get your head positioning, and push/pull to off balance them. The difference is you put them in a bad position, let go completely, then punch.

You can fire an uppercut from close but you still need space. if you're tied up, I cant think of a situation where you'd be vulnerable to a significant uppercut unless your head was past your feet.

Well Floyd has elbow control in the first pic, so that's pretty good fundamentally. He looks open to uppercuts in the 2nd pic, but you're always open to something, and it's not like Floyd's head is trapped in that spot. He knows what his opponents are looking for.

Floyd also is safe from uppercuts because he is disrupting Mosley's balance by pushing him back and pulling him foward, making effective punching inside difficult.

By the time they set their feet, Floyd has his head planted on Mosley's right side, again making an uppercut more difficult, due to not being able to create space.

The basic idea is to be active in controlling in the clinch to avoid being vulnerable to getting blasted by punches. Control the head, control the body. Control the lead arm, control the opponent's punch selection.

This is a wonderful video if you haven't seen it yet.

Back