working out before drinking alcohol

I'm too lazy to do it right now, but there was a study on this forum posted about alcohol consumption either slowing very considerably or stopping muscle protein synthesis during the time that the body filtered/metabolized the alcohol. And considering that is what you need to happen after a workout in order for muscles to get either bigger or stronger, yeah it's a pretty big negative effect. I'd like to see the study again though, I can't for the life of me remember exactly what the results were.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/alcohol-intake-decreased-protein-synthesis-904266/

^^^ I think that's the one you are talking about.

I wonder how that affects the training of the central nervous system. I mean, essentially, peak strength training is LARGELY about the development of inter-muscular and intramuscular coordination right? Not necessarily about myofibrillar hypertrophy.

This was one thing I was wondering as well, and well said Urban. I finished reading Ripps Practical Programming just a few days ago and he really went into how when you start pushing a lot of weight all your gains seemingly come from increased intramuscular coordination, which really has nothing to do with protein synthesis. But of course if you want to get stronger you usually have to get bigger. Anyways I was just browsing around and found this old topic and thought I would bring it back to see if anyones views have changed in the last few years. I don't drink personally anymore but I still find it interesting to understand this kind of thing.

I wonder how that affects the training of the central nervous system. I mean, essentially, peak strength training is LARGELY about the development of inter-muscular and intramuscular coordination right? Not necessarily about myofibrillar hypertrophy.

Yep, and I have no idea about that. That's why I made sure I said "in order for muscles to be bigger or stronger" and didn't mention the CNS. I've wondered the same thing though. Though I know for me, it doesn't take much alcohol for the next day's squats to suffer very mightily while at the same time not having a noticable effect on isolated muscle exercises. I don't quite know what those two things put together means, but I always assumed that my drinking highly affects the CNS as well (for a short period of time).

EDIT: Though this has to do with drinking BEFORE exercise, and the OP was talking about drinking PWO. Soooo....nevermind.

I searched this subject and couldn't find what I was wanting to know. If I were going to drink alcohol tonight, would it be best not to workout beforehand? Would the drinking hinder my muscle growth?

Shamrock, I am afraid you will not be getting the answers you want on this forum. You want someone to tell you that going out drinking will not impact you physically.
Sorry, it will. Yes, it will hinder muscle growth and do other bad things.

Butttt..........

Do you have a fight coming up? Are you about to enter some sort of competition?
If the answer is no, then WTF is the problem. As long as you don't get totally smashed, make it a regular habit, or do something stupid as a result of being drunk that has consequences, one night on the town is not going to do signifigant or irreperable damage.

If you're trying to bulk, alcohol is alright in moderation. Even after a workout. But if your cutting, I would not drink alcohol at all. Alcohol turns to acetate once metabolized. Your body then stops burning fat completely so it can process the acetate. Only after all of the acetate is processed and neutralized will your body go back to burning fat.

Shamrock, I am afraid you will not be getting the answers you want on this forum. You want someone to tell you that going out drinking will not impact you physically.
Sorry, it will. Yes, it will hinder muscle growth and do other bad things.

Butttt..........

Do you have a fight coming up? Are you about to enter some sort of competition?
If the answer is no, then WTF is the problem. As long as you don't get totally smashed, make it a regular habit, or do something stupid as a result of being drunk that has consequences, one night on the town is not going to do signifigant or irreperable damage.

I think this is good advice. I know we pride ourselves on achieving near peak performance in this forum, it is still good to have a few beers or some junk food every so often, for the sake of sanity if nothing else.

I think this is good advice. I know we pride ourselves on achieving near peak performance in this forum, it is still good to have a few beers or some junk food every so often, for the sake of sanity if nothing else.

Bingo.

Sanity and balance. Key. How many people have you known who have gone through an extended period of EXTREME discipline and deprivation, only to completely
"cut loose" after that period ended, resulting in some dire consequences. BALANCE IS KEY. Not just in diet and exercise, but in all things.

I had a friend in college whose parents thought he was not making an effort in his studies. To be fair, he was coasting a bit, with a 2.5 GPA and he was certainly living the decadent college lifestyle. His very rich parents decided to bribe him with a pimping Ducati superbike if he got a 4.0 for his sophmore year. He became obsessed. He gave up everything to get this bike. Half way through the year, he was on track, so to up the anti, his parents bought the bike over Christmas, and had it in the garage so he could see it. If he did not get the 4.0, the parents were going to sell it. He was even more motivated. I do not even think i saw him outside the library that whole second semester. But you know what, he got his 4.0 and he got his bike. We were in a wrestling mini camp immediately after the year ended, so his parents brought the bike up as a suprise for him.

He was over the moon. After his parents bought us dinner and headed home, he took the bike to show it off to everyone. Then he had a few drinks. Then he had a few more. Then he said he was going to the bathroom. After he did not come back for 20 minutes, I went to look for him. By now you know the end of the story. He took off on his bike and lost control at about 120 mph. He was "lucky" to be alive, though he spent several weeks in the hospital, a number more in traction, and still more in physical therapy.

I know this only loosly related to the posters question about alcohol. And I am certainly not saying someone needs to have the occasional drink to have balance in their life. All i am saying this that the tighter something is packed, the bigger the mess when it pops.

Lots of studies cited and scientific explanations here, but from the time I was 21 to the age of about 28, I drank moderately almost every weekend and went from 200 to 253 at my highest. My bodyfat was probably +/- 2% over that period. In fact, if we're talking beer, you're actually getting some good complex carbs. As far as lowering testosterone, I believe the effect lasts less than 24 hours...very minimal, then you're back to normal. I'm not saying moderate drinking is beneficial, but your physique and performance have more to do with what you're doing the other 160+ hours of the week than when you're drinking. If you can go out, have some drinks, get up the next morning and go about your normal business, I don't think you'll notice a difference at all. You get smashed, sleep all day, then pound a large pizza and you may set yourself back a bet.

Did you just claim you had a 2% bodyfat for 7 years of your life?

I call bullshit if you gained 53 lbs and had only a 2% change in bodyfat.

Doesnt seem possible but i suppose

I'm guessing he means existing body fat shifted from -2% to +2% of what ever the original percentage was.

Back